• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass gameplay trailer (cool physics based 3D platformer)

Wow, I wasn't expecting something like that, looks quite amazing actually.

This activates the pre-adolescent in me. I like it a lot.

Davey Cakes

I like the look of that quite a bit.

Seems like the kind of game that's fun just from exploring the environment. Easy to learn controls with fluid, natural movement.

Alpha_eX

Wasn't expecting much at all but damn, that looks great. The lighting makes it look really life like in a way, kinda spooky.

Curious how the controls work.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hey, that looks pretty damn good with an interesting concept(not shooting people in the face 24/7). I like it.

Mdk7

Nice graphics and solid art (save for the face of the snake, which i really don't like)... And I dig the concept, I'd buy it! :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nice graphics and solid art (save for the face of the snake, which i really don't like)... And I dig the concept, I'd buy it! :D
That snake has suuch a stupid face with them oogly eyes haha but I think it fits the environment perfectly for some reason. I'd expect a stupid face snake to be roaming these colorful puzzle contraptions.

rjc571

Banned
The environment looks great but the controls sound really awkward. I'd rather explore with an agile, easily maneuverable character.

Gilby

I mean, it's basically a pre-alpha/prototype. Some guy on Reddit says the art has already changed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. That said, isn't it a legal requirement for 3D platformer charactgers to have googly eyes?

That actually looks charming as hell. The snake's doofy face kinda reminds me of Snake Rattle and Roll for some reason lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow this game looks great all around. Good looking graphics, a consistent if goofy and colorful art style, and gameplay that looks both fresh and fun. Love the idea of using the snake's long flexible body as the major gameplay element! Such a simple concept but one that looks like it could lead to some really complex brilliant puzzles.

The environment looks great but the controls sound really awkward. I'd rather explore with an agile, easily maneuverable character.

Wouldn't that be a totally different game then? The idea is you're using a snake and its long slim body to explore the environments and complete puzzles, the inherent limitations in its body style and locomotion are the basis for the gameplay, playing as a much more nimble or agile animal kind of kills the idea behind the gameplay and becomes something else entirely.

georly

Oh wow, this looks really neat. It's totally something I'd imagine nintendo to think up. Will keep an eye on it, I like the concept a lot.

Pretty intriguing gameplay. I'm always interested in games that approach conventional genres with unique mechanics. I find enjoyment in games like Terrover, even if they sometimes review poorly.

That said, despite the gameplay being obvious from the start of the video I was kind of hoping to see that snake coil up and do some spring-jumping, actual platform style. Movement looks a little slow and it seems much more a puzzle game than a classic platformer, but that doesn't make it any less appealing.

Zukkoyaki

I know it probably isn't what they're aiming for but the gameplay looks way too slow for me. Though obviously I'll have to get my hands on it to know for sure.

JP

Really not sure about that, looked a little pointless to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I know more about but at the moment, it's a no from me.

We actually showed this off at EGX Rezzed last weekend. ^^ It's only been in development for 3 1/2 odd months, so it's still pretty early days. It was born from a game jam we did last year and we thought it'd be cool to move forward with the concept. The lead designer and creator of Snake Pass, Seb, was one of our LBP designers we brought in from the community awhile back so it's been cool to see his idea come to life like this. ^^

Wow! It looks awesome. PC only?

Looking at major consoles and PC.

Mdk7

That snake has suuch a stupid face with them oogly eyes haha but I think it fits the environment perfectly for some reason. I'd expect a stupid face snake to be roaming these colorful puzzle contraptions.
I mean, it's basically a pre-alpha/prototype. Some guy on Reddit says the art has already changed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. That said, isn't it a legal requirement for 3D platformer charactgers to have googly eyes?
The problem is not the cartoony face nor the googly eyes, I usually like that stuff. It's those eyes and that face in particular. :D

The problem is not the cartoony face nor the googly eyes, I usually like that stuff. It's those eyes and that face in particular. :D

Don't know if you can see it here, but it has changed since that vid was posted: https://twitter.com/matt_stott_72/status/719509686140198913

EDIT: And then we have these...

17-SMALL.png

19-SMALL.png

Top Bottom