• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J Abrams: "Rey's parents are not...[Possible Spoilers]"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tagged title in case people want to stay in the dark and not speculate.

Anyway, per The Hollywood Reporter...

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-jj-abrams-reveals-big-clue-about-024438518.html

At first Abrams jokingly told the kid to get out. But then he dropped a big clue about the identity of Daisy Ridley’s character’s mom and dad: “Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII. So I can’t possibly say in this moment who they are. But I will say it is something that Rey thinks about, too.”

Things just got interesting.

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

Herring as red as 3PO's arm!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Tagged title in case people want to stay in the dark and not speculate.

Anyway, per The Hollywood Reporter...

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-jj-abrams-reveals-big-clue-about-024438518.html

At first Abrams jokingly told the kid to get out. But then he dropped a big clue about the identity of Daisy Ridley’s character’s mom and dad: “Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII. So I can’t possibly say in this moment who they are. But I will say it is something that Rey thinks about, too.”

Things just got interesting.

He redacted this later by saying it was not revealed in episode 7, but her parents could have been in there.

He misspoke

-griffy-

Banned
UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really hope she's not related to anyone. They have done the secret child thing once, don't think they will get away with it next time.

HUELEN10

And John Harrison wasn't Khan.

He was, then he wasn't, then he was. God Damned Marcus robbed him of his identity AND face when the Vanguard found him in deep space, and after a memory wipe and surgery.

Harrison was the best they had, even came up with new site-to-site transport advancement (NOT stolen from Mr. Scott as so many think), and as Harrison, wreaked absolutely havoc on Praxis.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im heartened by the fact no matter who it is its going to ruin star wars for someone

Cheebo

Banned
It was obvious what Abrams was implying. It is insane he needed to clarify. I can't believe a single person interpreted it as they were literally not in the film. The context was obvious he was talking about the perspective of Rey.

And now this is going to be a thread of people not paying attention to his clarification isn't it?

kiguel182

I don't see how they can reveal her parents and be something that I'm satisfied with.

I think her having super special parents or be some character we know will do nothing for me. Maybe they can come up with a brilliant twist but I think I would rather her parents just be nobodies.

I'm curious to see what they can come up with but I'm not holding my breath for some incredible reveal. Hopefully I'm wrong.

darklin0

Banned
Rey, meesa yousa daddy

LOicMJA.gif

Cheebo

Banned
I think it's someone from The Knights of Ren
Abrams comments make it pretty likely it's a character from Force Awakens it seems. Luke is probably still the best bet.

His retraction makes it rather obvious that it's Luke.
Bingo. The fact he immediately clarified after people misunderstood his comment(still how the did people see it that way? I don't get it.) seals the deal.

It's going to be Luke

I couldn't give two fucks tbh......so what you like about George Lucas but at least he didn't concoct mysteries to get us to come back for the next one.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I couldn't give two fucks tbh......so what you like about George Lucas but at least he didn't concoct mysteries to get us to come back for the next one.

Uh, what?

He left a huge mystery hanging after Episode 2 (clone army + Syfo-Dyas) and then just dropped it completely.

Cheebo

Banned
You mean, the mystery that was resolved 5 secs later?
By 5 seconds later you mean 3 years later in the next film?

The "another" was obsessively debated amongst nerds from 1980 to 1983.

Lucas didn't even decide to have to be Leia till during the writing of ROTJ. Wasn't answered in ESB at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom