• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Probably been mentioned already (I'm always late to Star Wars threads), but wasn't there buzz about Obi-wan having a secret wife or something before TFA came out? Am I totally imagining this, or does it actually come from somewhere? (It may have also been Han Solo, I don't really remember)

If Obi-wan did have a relationship in the past, it could be his kid.

Ezalc

She's Han and Leia's daughter. She survived the attack on the temple, but Luke lied and said she had died in the attack and hid her off planet, believing it was the only place she could be safe. He went into exile shortly after, because he couldn't be around them and lie to their faces. After years of living alone he decides it's better off that she doesn't get found, as the Jedi have brought him nothing but pain and suffering.

That's my theory lol

So why do neither recognize her?

Sure, it might be obvious to her but that doesn't mean she knew the script of the next 2 movies. It's likely she didn't know anything about the future plot as the movies hadn't even started filming and are always subject to change. So her opinion at that time is only marginally more valid than anyone on here.

She doesn't need to have seen the script from the next two movies. Scripts, writers, and directors often give Actors information about the characters that is never expressed to the viewers so that the Actors have a fount of background from which to base their portrayal. You know the old stereotypical Actor question of "What's my motivation?" It helps the actor with consistency in their performance.

Probably been mentioned already (I'm always late to Star Wars threads), but wasn't there buzz about Obi-wan having a secret wife or something before TFA came out? Am I totally imagining this, or does it actually come from somewhere? (It may have also been Han Solo, I don't really remember)

You're probably mixing it up with the rumors that the Han Solo prequel will feature one of the old EU storylines of Han having a wife before Leia.

Bulzeeb

Shes a Force clone with implanted memories

Punished Rey finds out shes a body double for Luke

I bet Bison approves this theory

giphy.gif

She doesn't need to have seen the script from the next two movies. Scripts, writers, and directors often give Actors information about the characters that is never expressed to the viewers so that the Actors have a fount of background from which to base their portrayal. You know the old stereotypical Actor question of "What's my motivation?" It helps the actor with consistency in their performance.

Let's remember this exchance in the movie and tell me where Daisy Ridley has been guided by the director to subtely hint that she knows Luke Skywalker

Han Solo: This map's not complete. It's just a piece. Ever since Luke disappeared, people have been looking for him.
Rey: Why did he leave?
Han Solo: He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice, turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible. He just walked away from everything.
Finn: Do you know what happened to him?
Han Solo: A lot of rumors. Stories. People that knew him best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple.
Rey: The Jedi were real?
Han Solo: I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is... it's true. The Force. The Jedi... All of it... It's all true.

Nothing I've said has anything to do with Luke Skywalker. So, I'm not sure where that dialogue comes into to play at all.

All I'm saying is there is nothing explicit in the movie that hints at Rey's parents other than the flashback scene where she is dropped off on Jakku. Everything else is pure speculation.

To me, the fact that Obi-wan specifically spoke to Rey in her force vision is the biggest indicator of that potential family connection. Narratively speaking, if she had no connection to Obi-wan they could've used anyone else. From film cannon Yoda, Obi-wan, Anakin, and Qui-gon are all one with the force. Any of them besides Obi-wan could've reached out to her.

My guess is she's the grandaughter of Obi-wan, who's child & spouse are killed when Rey is an infant. Rey has little to no memory of this prior to force training with Luke, as it was a traumatic event.

Elandyll

Banned
Sigh ... And round and round we go.

Just going to leave this nugget:

There is probably a very good reason Maz didn't say "your parents" but "whomever" to Rey about those who left her behind on Jakku.

Definitive answers in December.

All I'm saying is there is nothing explicit in the movie that hints at Rey's parents other than the flashback scene where she is dropped off on Jakku. Everything else is pure speculation.

Then what is the dialogue you posted have to do with it? I'm talking about Script Notes, Writer Notes, Director comments. None of that would be included in dialogue at all. It informs the actor on the background of the character so they can base their emotional reactions from it. It's used a lot in films and tv shows that have a late plot twist or a reveal later in the series.

A recent, well known example of this is J.K. Rowling telling Alan Rickman about "Always" and the meaning of it years before his character would ever have that moment. So this informs his portrayal of Severus Snape throughout the series, giving the character consistency, instead of having this weird emotional switch up due to a late entry reveal that he wouldn't have known otherwise because the books where the reveal happens hadn't even been written yet.

So, again, there doesn't have to be anything explicit in the first film. Daisy doesn't need to have seen the script for the next two. If they have these major plot points planned out already, which they assuredly do, the notes she was given on the character give her a context to what is actually shown in the final cuts that viewers wouldn't have known.

I'm much more interested in the mystery behind Snoke. Like, how short/tall he is, his origins, extend of his power, etc.

In regards to Rey, I like the suggestion of her being Obi-Wan's daughter. Her being the daughter of Luke or Han would be fine, but IDK. Just seems like the obvious choice, and it just feels they can do something more interesting than that.

Black_Sun

To me, the fact that Obi-wan specifically spoke to Rey in her force vision is the biggest indicator of that potential family connection. Narratively speaking, if she had no connection to Obi-wan they could've used anyone else. From film cannon Yoda, Obi-wan, Anakin, and Qui-gon are all one with the force. Any of them besides Obi-wan could've reached out to her.

My guess is she's the grandaughter of Obi-wan, who's child & spouse are killed when Rey is an infant. Rey has little to no memory of this prior to force training with Luke, as it was a traumatic event.

It's Anakin's lightsaber.

A lightsaber wielded by Anakin then his son Luke is calling to Rey not Kylo Ren. Hmmmm.

Black_Sun

The theory about being Obi-Wan's granddaughter doesn't have inconsistencies. The biggest counter to it is, "Nobody ever said anything about Obi-Wan having a kid." Which applies to every other theory as well.

I mean, she could very well be the child of unknown characters ("nobodies") or generally anyone resonable... but at the very least her comment on thinking it was obvious means it's most likely a previous character.

Daisy thought it was obvious who Rey's parents were by the end of the movie. Either it's nobody important or it's Luke. Those are the only ones that the general audience could've picked up on.

The Obi Wan connections are so subtle that no one I knew thought there was that possibility.

And if it's nobody important then they messed up big by trying to make it some secret that ultimately doesn't mean anything.

Daisy thought it was obvious who Rey's parents were by the end of the movie. Either it's nobody important or it's Luke. Those are the only ones that the general audience could've picked up on.

Except for the people in the general audience who picked up on

The Obi Wan connections are so subtle that no one I knew thought there was that possibility.

How can they be that subtle if the theory rose from the general audience?

It didn't appear in a vaccuum. People started wondering if she was a Kenobi before they saw the thing based on her British accent, even.

It's not that the idea wasn't present, it's that people wanted to immediately dismiss it (and still do) for their own reasons, which are valid.

phanphare

Banned

And if it's nobody important then they messed up big by trying to make it some secret that ultimately doesn't mean anything.

obi wan speaking directly to rey in her force vision as well as the call back to one of the most memorable lines in the star wars saga ("these aren't the droids you're looking for") are hardly subtle. there were some more subtle bits though, like rey stealthing around star killer base which was reminiscent of obi wan stealthing around the death star in a new hope.

bengraven

Obi Wan is basically family at this point.

He was like a brother and best friend to Ani, an uncle and mentor to Luke, so it's not too shocking his force ghost would be interested in Rey, assuming she's a Skywalker.

Oozer3993

I'm "Team Tenel Ka's Long Lost Sister." Screw your Grand Admiral Prawns and Mara Aquamarines! Tenel Ka is the best Legends EU character. She needs to be brought back, by any means necessary.

At the end of the film, I really thought they were hinting at her being Luke's daughter... Which is why his light saber was calling to her and why she went seeking for him.
I really thought that was a pretty obvious part of the story that they were hinting at. It's only when I visited the GAF thread afterwards that I wondered if it wasn't that obvious. I still think that's the way it will go, but let's see.

Gambit

I used to be fully in Team Skywalker, but not entirely convinced any more. (thanks, GAF)

However, I still root for Team Skywalker.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If the British accent is meant to be indicative perhaps she's related to someone from the Empire?

Also it was never revealed what "Awakening" TFA referred to.. Rey's power certainly seemed to awaken in the film, but by what cause?

graffix13

At the end of the film, I really thought they were hinting at her being Luke's daughter... Which is why his light saber was calling to her and why she went seeking for him.
I really thought that was a pretty obvious part of the story that they were hinting at. It's only when I visited the GAF thread afterwards that I wondered if it wasn't that obvious. I still think that's the way it will go, but let's see.

It's this. GAF will analyze gnat shit and claim there are pieces of dinosaur in it.

60% Rey Skywalker
40% Rey Nobody

Hurry up December so we can end this senseless debate.

GhaleonEB

If the British accent is meant to be indicative perhaps she's related to someone from the Empire?

Also it was never revealed what "Awakening" TFA referred to.. Rey's power certainly seemed to awaken in the film, but by what cause?

I think it's tied to her using passive Force abilities instinctually, and out of necessity of circumstance, but without awareness or control.

Right after she pilots the Falcon for the the first time, Finn asks her "How did you do that?!" to which she replies, "I don't know."

They meet Han, and the next scene is Snoke saying there has been an awakening. To the extent that the title can be pointed to a specific moment rather than her overall arc and theme, that was it.

I think it's tied to her using passive Force abilities instinctually, and out of necessity of circumstance, but without awareness or control.

Right after she pilots the Falcon for the the first time, Finn asks her "How did you do that?!" to which she replies, "I don't know."

They meet Han, and the next scene is Snoke saying there has been an awakening. To the extent that the title can be pointed to a specific moment rather than her overall arc and theme, that was it.

Good points, so what do you think?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

IIRC the 'British' accent is supposed to be indicative of Coruscanti upbringing (or at the least, the nicer/more settled 'inner' part of the galaxy, as opposed to the Far Rim like Tattoine)

I could be mistaken and/or that could have changed with Disney wiping out the EU, though.

I'm "Team Tenel Ka's Long Lost Sister." Screw your Grand Admiral Prawns and Mara Aquamarines, Tenel Ka is the best Legends EU character. She needs to be brought back, by any means necessary.

I love Tenel Ka as much as the next person, but better than Mara, or Thrawn?

Admittedly, she was a cool throwback to the Courtship of Princess Leia book. but she's still roughly on Jaina's level, IMO.

Pepboy

I don't think the timing works out to be Obi-wan's kid. Rey is 19 in the film, but the film is set 3 decades after ROTJ. Even Kylo Ren seems older than Rey and is certainly not around at the time of ROTJ. But Ben Kenobi had already been dead for several years.

I mean, it's possible that there was some genetic material stolen from Ben.. but how? The Empire didn't seem to know where he was; and his body completely disappeared after his death. Even if there skin cells on the Death Star, it died pretty quickly.

PERHAPS Obi-wan's grand-daughter. But the connection then becomes very tenuous -- we would never know her grand mother and the parents also become unclear. And it certainly wasn't hinted at in TFA.

Occam's razor suggests it will be Han / Leia, because Leia hugged Rey really tight and because Han said "there was something about her". It might even be the reason why Han and Leia didn't work out (Their kid was abducted. Han goes searching the galaxy for her, but never finds her. The distance makes things tough. Kylo Ren grows up without a father figure as a result, which causes him to idolize grandpa Vader.)

The only other option in TFA would be Luke. I do think that's a big possibility. Because Luke will die in the next few films (probably TLJ, maybe the finale) or else the next generation is not able to inherit the mantle. Just like Obi-Wan and Yoda needed to die. And once Luke dies, the skywalker family tree shrinks quite a bit with only Kylo Ren left.

Lokimaru

I think not having Rey be Luke's kid would be a mistake. We know Luke was first born and therefore Anakin's Heir. Luke having no Children and Leia having Ben would make Ben Luke's Heir. But if Luke had a Child that kid would become Luke's Heir and therefore Anakin Heir. The Lightsaber called to Rey and came to Her hand instead of Ben's. The writings on the wall. Lucas described Anakin's Lightsaber as being an Excalibur like weapon so it would make sense in it wanting to be wielded by the true heir.

Lokimaru

Yeah but a large part of the saga is contributed by a Kenobi.

You need a Kenobi to balance out the fuckery the Skywalkers have caused.

Bullshit, Dude had one Job. Train the Chosen One and he cocked it up. You don't get to become important after that level of Fuck-Up. What you want him to Fail Upwards?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

So assuming the awakening is indeed that particular moment, it sounds like Snoke is merely sensing Rey's presence in the force for the first time, which is no different from Qui Gon sensing Anakin for the first time ("I sense a vergence in the force" ... "located around a person?" etc.).
In that case why is Rey's existence significant? Is she something special like Anakin? And if so is Luke too far away to sense her too? Or does he just not care?

And if Rey is a special being birthed from the force is she a result of someone tampering with it like Plagueous/Sidious did or is there a different cause behind her awakening?

Basically what I hope to learn in the next films is whether Rey's power manifesting is the awakening in question (which makes her Space Jesus 2: Electric Boogaloo) or is she merely a symptom of a deeper event which is the actual awakening of the force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom