• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Meet Final Fantasy XV's Legendary Composer (New Gameplay Shown)

Another interview about FINAL FANTASY XV with GameInformer. This time it is about the wonderful Yoko Shimomura and her music.

yoko_5F00_610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

You might not know the name Yoko Shimomura, but you should. Shimomura is one of the most prolific and influential composers in the game industry, whose resume includes classics like Street Fighter II, Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts, Xenoblade Chronicles, and much more. She started working on this project back when it was called Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and now she's found herself tackling the music for the next numbered Final Fantasy.

Video and more at the link.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best composer

KoopaTheCasual

Yokooooo!

I don't understand how the entire gaming industry is not head over heels for this woman's prolific body of work?

I mean I know she's very famous (in the circles of gamers that play the games she currently works on), but the variety of what she's composed over the years and the amount of iconic music she's made is legendary.

Why do you have to start a fight so early in the thread
I mean, he's not wrong.

fight me

Ydelnae

Yoko could compose the Metroid Federation Force soundtrack and I it would make me buy the game day one. She is amazing.

RyoonZ

Banned
Yokooooo!

I don't understand how the entire gaming industry is not head over heels for this woman's prolific body of work?

I mean I know she's very famous (in the circles of gamers that play the games she currently works on), but the variety of what she's composed over the years and the amount of iconic music she's made is legendary.

Too melodic not enough ambiance

For a second, I forgot she was working on this ...so when I read the title, I was all skeptical of the "Legendary Composer" description.

YOKO is Legendary!

DNAbro

Fantastic interview. It's funny that her style is completely subconscious and that she does it without intention to do it.

Shin-Ra

The Stand By Me cover (and any other preexisting real-world music) aren't going to be in the game are they?

jb1234

Fantastic interview. It's funny that her style is completely subconscious and that she does it without intention to do it.

That's how it usually is with composers. There's an old saying, that composers spend the first few decades of their careers defining their style and then the rest of their career trying to get away from it (as they feel they're repeating themselves). This probably applies more to classical composers than ones who write for media but it's still in effect.

It was an okay video but I wish they had asked her more interesting questions. But as a musician, I'm probably expecting too much. It wasn't meant for me.

jett

D-Member
I honestly would prefer subtitles over the monotone voice over they have, and why is she referring to Yoko in the third person anyway?

Sanpunkan

The Stand By Me cover (and any other preexisting real-world music) aren't going to be in the game are they?

I'm sure it will be just like FFXIII and FFX had their theme songs. I think FFXII too but I did not finish it. It probably just plays once at the end, so, if you don't like it, you'll live.

Flopfan

I honestly would prefer subtitles over the monotone voice over they have, and why is she referring to Yoko in the third person anyway?
Lol that was weird . I hate this style of translation. The talking voice over the original voice thing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Great interview Game Informer but you should have sneaked in a KH3 question :p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Agreed and yeah that was really off-putting.

Link the source for the vid pls, their trash site blocks my country in 2016 for some reason.

I apologize if you can't get to the site. I didn't know that happened. They post the videos on their YouTube channel, so it should be up on their channel soon. At the latest it'll be up on Monday. That is of course if someone hasn't already put the video up on YouTube.

Top Bottom