• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gus-gus

Banned
Currently thinking about opening a thread about the eurogamer.it rumor. I have some evidence for a dedicated event as well and also heard... Something else that would give some credibility...

If you do have some info that might help, even if it's just in regard to a separate event, I think that's definitely worth hearing about.

Launching a console in Spring is interesting I guess, seems like a weird time considering how sales are in Spring...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
10tflops would be more than a 980ti,even allowing for some flops to be accounted for by the CPU. Not happening. Although I would buy it instantly :p

Chobel

bullshit.gif

Averon

A GPU more powerful than a 980ti inside a console sized box? I thought MS wanted to avoid another RROD situation and actually make money on Xbox.

gus-gus

Banned
A GPU more powerful than a 980ti inside a console sized box? I thought MS wanted to avoid another RROD situation and actually make money on Xbox.

Maybe it lines up with the fcc rumor that had a base and premium model.

Maybe sell the premium at a loss which will sell less systems, and the base which will sell more, but at a profit.

I'm fairly neutral in this battle but the argument that a stick on the upper portion of the controller feels better is sort of ruined by the fact that the right stick, which requires the most delicate movements, is placed in the less-than-ideal position.
Almost without exception in the last two generations where the right stick was used, it is exclusively meant for camera movement and aim. Since Bungie implemented it in Halo CE and having been widely adopted in almost all games that use precision aim since, the right stick has been made easier to use by software aids that create a soft reticle lock or sticky-aim that makes precision much easier to achieve whereas the left stick for movement is rarely treated with such care. It also helps that most targets in modern aim-heavy games are already situated at your player character's height and ADS or scope modes are extremely common slowing down right stick movement for greater precision.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
so how much would a console thats 5-6 times more powerful than neo cost lol

Not that much more. The cost for the SoC is around $100 of the total SKU, so its entirely possible to sell a console five times as powerful as the Neo for $150 more. But I doubt there exists a chip that can offer 10 Tflops for the power consumption consoles are built around, which is between 150 and 180 watt.

leeh

I don't believe that's bullshit, the quote at the end is the one that changed it for me. As the management structure has completely changed, they'd want to release a new console which truely reflects the direction of what the new management want, rather than a botched idea of failure from previous management.

I really do hope we get a loss leader.

I don't believe that's bullshit, the quote at the end is the one that changed it for me. As the management structure has completely changed, they'd want to release a new console which truely reflects the direction of what the new management want, rather than a botched idea of failure from previous management.

I really do hope we get a loss leader.

You honestly think Microsoft is going to go loss leader again after how Xbox One has gone down? Bruh.

I think it's perfectly fine to believe that Microsoft may come with a new Xbox either next year or 2018 and that it can be considered a generational leap. I highly doubt they are already going to introduce that this year. I would love to be wrong though, because i am not against this change in the land of consoles at all. :)

Don't get yourself banned ekim! clarify with mod first.

What this guy said.

I also doubt it will be about the performance of the 980ti. That seems like way too much. Maybe a 970? Also I cant see Satya letting the Xbox division off the hook with having a system loose money like that. Although it does depend on how much they would be loosing per unit.

Lol that 'leak' is bollocks.

It's quite possibe that MS re-adopt a loss leader strategy with their next machine though. They have effectively lost billions this generation due to poor strategy. It all depends how much they want their market share back.

Personally, if consoles are moving towards a more iterative model, I think an all inclusive subscription service could be the right strategy. The company that gets that right first could gain global dominance.

Bi-annual, high end hardware refresh
Xbox Live and services
Free monthly games and other bonuses

$50 / £35 per month all in

Wow, MS really giving love to the XB1 controller.

Would be dope if the pro becomes the standard and what ever the new upgrade is becomes the pro.... wishful thinking but, why not

What this guy said.

I also doubt it will be about the performance of the 980ti. That seems like way too much. Maybe a 970? Also I cant see Satya letting the Xbox division off the hook with having a system loose money like that. Although it does depend on how much they would be loosing per unit.

MS seems to be focused on getting users on windows, no matter what, so maybe?

gamz

Some things do sound legit. They are releasing all new hardware next spring with Redstone 2 and I can see the OS being virtual.

Selling at a loss I don't believe. I do think they are releasing something next Spring. That makes all the sense in the world.

JaggedSac

Currently thinking about opening a thread about the eurogamer.it rumor. I have some evidence for a dedicated event as well and also heard... Something else that would give some credibility...

Nah man. Don't go down in flames, lol.

MS seems to be focused on getting users on windows, no matter what, so maybe?

I actually can believe its faster than PS4 Neo ( I hate the name PS4K). But a 10tflops system isnt believable. As someone already said, there isnt a chip out that can output that type of performance for the amount of power in a 100-150 watt box.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I actually can believe its faster than PS4 Neo ( I hate the name PS4K). But a 10tflops system isnt believable. As someone already said, there isnt a chip out that can output that type of performance for the amount of power in a 100-150 watt box.

Believe in the Surface team. Believe.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"5-6 times the power of Neo."

Eh....

Hahaha, what magical tech is out there in a SoC APU with thermals and low power draw at 10TF?

Fucking stupid. I swear, they act as if there are people who do not pay attention to the computer graphics/tech world. MisterShillX levels.

Rumours of a 10 TF console huh?

Whoa.

Believe in the Surface team. Believe.

Please tell me you are trolling, lol.

Yoday

Some things do sound legit. They are releasing all new hardware next spring with Redstone 2 and I can see the OS being virtual.

Selling at a loss I don't believe. I do think they are releasing something next Spring. That makes all the sense in the world.
They sold the XBO at a loss, and they probably still are. The question isn't if they will sell at a loss, it's how much of a loss they are willing to take. MS is in a position where they need to get back some of the mindshare, and they are also heavily focused on user acquisition. With the digital marketplace being so massive these days and their desire to get people into the Windows 10 ecosystem they are probably more willing to take a loss than they were when the XBO launched. I don't think they would be willing to take as big of a loss as they did on the 360, but even a $100 loss on a $500 system without Kinect could produce an absolute beast of a system. With the XBO already on the market at a low price point I could see them targeting $500 and pushing it as the Elite tier system in a multiple console ecosystem.

I can't wait to find out what they're going to unveil. I especially want to know about that controller -- specifically, whether it's really much different or just a colour change for the normal bundle.

The Lunar White should become standard.

gus-gus

Banned

Ok don't do it if you're not sure but aren't you allowed to give your own educated guesses at the rumor without being banned, I mean everyone else is. Just tell us what you think about this rumor

Kibbles

Does it have to be an apu? With that whole event in February or whatever when they were talking about upgradeable systems, what if it's a system with a removable graphics card?

Yeah, the article says Polaris 11 and Vega. It's like, make up your mind.

I don't doubt there's an Xbox One follow up or upgrade coming, but 10TF is some bullshit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That article does ring a few BS bells. It really reads like something TimDog or some of his followers would write. Beside the already mentioned, "Lazy Devs" comment was something that would really have no place in a rumor like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom