• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

maxcriden

Not all these games are particurarly good.
And I would exclude the remasters and the spin-off/dlc/short games.

There are plenty of excellent games not listed there. Additionally, why should spin-offs and short games (which are short games there?) Be excluded?

Excitehype

Neo Member
cgVQa9Z.png

Missing 2 of those titles. Fatal Frame and Wii Sports Club. Kept telling myself to get Wii Sports Club on disc since it seemed like the better deal. But had no idea it was only a limited pressing.

Mael

Mario Maker is pretty much my fav game this gen by such a huge margin it's not even funny.
WiiU was worth it if only for that.
Huge step down after the wii goodness, I guess WiiU has a better Zelda selection than Wii...
Not my fav nintendo system but waaaaaaaaay better than the GC dark times.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Looking at those games, I see too many that were inappropriately priced based on the amount of content they have. Hell, charging $60 for a remaster of a game that's almost ten tears old when most remasters of younger games go for a fair $40 is pretty ludicrous. I know that Twilight Princess HD still sold decently but I am really hoping that Nintendo's pricing standards improve going foward to the NX generation. It would probably help their digital and retail sales a lot. But then again, they're still charging $8.00 for SNES games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nope. Nope. Nope. These were some of the best games released, with a lot of replayability. The day Nintendo feels they have to charge $20 because their game is not an overstuffed, open world slog fest is the day the industry has completely lost me.

As much as the Wii U failed in console sales, the software attach rates are impressive. It's unfortunate that Nintendo couldn't get the marketing right because clearly the quality first party games are there.

The marketing for this never made sense to me.

Half the reason I felt the Wii did well in USA was because of the incredible marketing push. You couldn't watch TV for months if not over a year without seeing a Wii ad with Miyamoto shoving a Wii in your face and saying "hope you rike it."

For WiiU I'd be lucky to find a single person IRL that even knew what it was.

Not all these games are particurarly good.
And I would exclude the remasters and the spin-off/dlc/short games.

I think the remasters are valid as they go out of their way to enhance the original game beyond a resolution bump.

Out of the four remasters I listed:
Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD had signifcant gameplay upgrades and refinements to streamline padding and improve the overall pacing. On top of that both use the gamepad to great effect.

Wii Sports Club had online modes for each sport and many of them were remade around Wii Motion Plus and the gamepad. Its a very different game.

Wii Fit U is a weird remaster where it includes some of the content from Wii Fit Plus and some entirely new stuff.

The spinoff games like Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush are some of the Wii U's best games, don't disregard them.

Yeah fucking good system. I just think they missed on a good Mario. Galaxy 3 would be perfect. The gamepad showed how innovative Nintendo can be and I will never forget my time with Mario Kart 8 and the god tier Smash Bros with that dream roster. It's been three years with the system, but I feel it is time to let it go.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
There are plenty of excellent games not listed there. Additionally, why should spin-offs and short games (which are short games there?) Be excluded?
Yep. Probably it's not short, but games like new super luigi U seems more like a dlc to me than a new game.

brinstar

Yeah, I had a great time with mine. It gets slagged a ton on GAF but I've gotten far more use out of it than my PS4 thus far. Hopefully Nintendo gets their act together with the NX.

Also your OP needs some Monster Hunter love!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii U will always hold a special place in my heart because it is the system on which my kids started playing video games. We have had a blast playing Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Wii U Party, Nintendoland, Mario 3D World, Affordable Space Adventures, and more.

*Salutes*

I also feel the need to mention the secret best Wii U game, Lego City Undercover.

I bought my Wii U solely to play Wind Waker HD, and it was worth it. I was hoping for a new Metroid, sadly that didn't happen. I'll also wait for Zelda NX because I don't want to play the inferior Zelda after waiting this long for it.

On the plus side, the Wii U has turned my toddler into a gamer so that's cool :) However, that means the wife hogs my TV and the daughter hogs my Wii U for Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 :(

I love the Wii U so much, it's still my favorite console this gen. Too bad it performed like it did, I just hope they can turn it around NeXt time

-shadow-

I only miss two of the games from the OP but I've played them all. Honestly while I do fully understand why the system failed as hard as it did, it really does have some really great titles!
Deus Ex HR was absolutely mind blowing on the WiiU!

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Oh, no, I meant, I was asking you. Why should those games be excluded?

NSLU is a DLC, but it's also a fully fledged game of decent length.

There is no particular reason. My fault ;)

I only miss two of the games from the OP but I've played them all. Honestly while I do fully understand why the system failed as hard as it did, it really does have some really great titles!
Deus Ex HR was absolutely mind blowing on the WiiU!

I also felt traversing Arkham City with the gamepad was spectacular, though the overall performance left something to be desired.

Koppai

Nintendo really needs to release Fatal Frame physical in the US now to fill out the huge gap. Notice Pikmin 4 has still not been even announced...yet it's finished.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good system with some of the best games this gen. I don't regret getting one.

El Odio

Banned

Looking over this image I have 20 of these games. Only ones I'm missing are

Wii Sports club/fit and TPHD, which I have no interest in
NSMBU which I don't really feel like getting having picked up NSLU way back when
Fatal Frame V and Captain Toad, I've always wanted to pick up both, especially after enjoying FF's demo, but I never got around to it
I hear good things about Lego City Undercover, is it pretty good? Seeing as there's nothing of note left in the system's pipeline for the rest of the year I'll probably take the time to snag what I've missed.

Love my Wii U and in some ways it revigorated my love for gaming. I own well over 100 physical Wii U titles and several digital titles. I hope Nintendo takes it's time and makes sure the NX is handled better and has better support than Wii U.

-shadow-

I also felt traversing Arkham City with the gamepad was spectacular, though the overall performance left something to be desired.

I really enjoyed this as a launch title, but the complete lack of any real integration of the gamepad with Origins was inexcusable. The engine was already there and all...

Looking over this image I have 20 of these games. Only ones I'm missing are

Wii Sports club/fit and TPHD, which I have no interest in
NSMBU which I don't really feel like getting having picked up NSLU way back when
Fatal Frame V and Captain Toad, I've always wanted to pick up both, especially after enjoying FF's demo, but I never got around to it
I hear good things about Lego City Undercover, is it pretty good? Seeing as there's nothing of note left in the system's pipeline for the rest of the year I'll probably take the time to snag what I've missed.

Captain Toad is brilliant, Fatal Frame is also great imo but it seems divisive. Its a great showcase of the gamepad and a genuinely scary game. Lego City is probably the best lego title out there, I don't love it as much as others seem to but its worth picking up if you find it for a good price.

I'm actually buying a Wii U this Friday for my bday. I have a PS4, but I'm just missing the nintendo action. Though I don't have it yet, I know I'm just going to love it. I already made a list of games and amiibos that I want and I have a feeling the games on the system are worth the price of the system. I just hate that I didn't buy it earlier. Can't wait :)

I'm actually buying a Wii U this Friday for my bday. I have a PS4, but I'm just missing the nintendo action. Though I don't have it yet, I know I'm just going to love it. I already made a list of games and amiibos that I want and I have a feeling the games on the system are worth the price of the system. I just hate that I didn't buy it earlier. Can't wait :)

At least you can benefit from the Nintendo Selects lineup that recently launched. Some really great deals going on.

It's pretty much impossible for me to dislike the console when it was a 2D platforming beast, Tropical Freeze, Mario Maker/NSMBU, Yoshi's Woolly World and the earlier releases for both Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends, delicious.
Throw in the VC and Wii backwards compatibility and it was basically my platformer box, like the olden days which at least sets it far apart from my PS4.
Not exactly a console to own by itself but a great companion piece, I enjoyed a lot of its titles and though the wheels fell off towards the end there was always that wonderful 2014 spread....and a wonderful 101

Of course this is one of the numerous reasons why the console has no real place in todays climate but hey I suppose that's more of Nintendo's problem and not mine.
My favourite failure.

Still the champ of couch co-op play and sheer fun. I got one to game with my wife since fun multiplayer, low-competitive games are hard to come by elsewhere.

Immensely enjoyed MK8, Mario 3DW, Donkey Kong TF, Whooly World, and more.

I didn't use it much for single player outside Hyrule Warriors and some Smash. I think it's a great system with good software that probably won't be as fondly remembered as say the Wii 1st party lineup. Off TV play was legit, but controller was not the most comfortable.

My PS4 is still my daily driver but the Wii U ignited child-like fun and nostalgia no other current gen system could match.

Blues1990

I'm going to do everything that I can to take care of the gamepad, as I'll be super bummed when that controller will go kaput on me someday.

And I felt I got a lot from the Wii U console. Mario Kart 8 alone, I had clocked in almost 900 hours worth of game time.

Hell, I'm still playing Hyrule Warriors. I haven't bought that many games for my Wii U, but I've enjoyed it all the same. It's so sad how its lifetime played out.

I love my Wii U as well and still have a lot of games I need to play on it. My only real issue is the UI and how slow it can be at times. Like how it has to load miiverse every time you want to access it while playing a game

Mario Maker and splatoon alone are some of the best games I've ever played

Fantastic thread - OP is right on the money. Despite the Wii U's horrible performance in the marketplace and overarching design issues, it has far and away the strongest, most consistent lineup of any current-gen console. It's a video game console in the purest sense, one that's more concerned with being really damn good at playing fantastic games than being a "computer entertainment system" or "all-in-one entertainment center" or whatever. I know that's where the market is going and that's what the masses want, but the Wii U truly was the last gasp for the late '90s/early '00s model of dedicated gaming, and I'll always love it for that.

Bought my Wii U on launch day and haven't regretted it even for a second since. Gets far more playtime than my PS4 and at least as much as my 3DS and PS3. Here's to U, Wii U. <3

Thud

They failed on many fronts with the Wii U. Even games have lost some of that polish.

However there is one thing that's typically nintendo about this system: fun for everyone.

Farewell to the last traditional game console. It did have a decent NetFlix app, a browser, and some other minor non-gaming features. It had Miiverse, NFC, and some novel online experiences. But Wii U was really all about the games. Fun, accessible, attractive, and diverse games. Nintendo and their small group of traditional Japanese development partners giving you that old school arcade action with modern production values. It was like a new SNES to me, and I'm grateful we got that in the modern era of annualized sandbox collectathons and mobile whale hunters. Godspeed little box.

RoySFNR

Looking back, I might not have gotten what I first wanted. No F-Zero, no Metroid, no 64 style 3D Mario, no Fire Emblem, no Animal Crossing and not even a Zelda game (an exclusive one that is).

What I did get are new definitive versions of Mario Kart and Smash, genuinely unique experiences with TW101, Bayo and Splatoon and some massive nostalgia blasts with Star Fox Zero and the massive virtual console line-up among other genuinely fun titles.

What started as a terrific secondary console ended up stealing my heart. Most of the games had the basic, streamlined and high quality approach which often felt like a fresh breath of air in an industry where bigger is often seen as better.

Cheers, WiiU. It was a fun ride.

Wensih

Fantastic thread - OP is right on the money. Despite the Wii U's horrible performance in the marketplace and overarching design issues, it has far and away the strongest, most consistent lineup of any current-gen console. It's a video game console in the purest sense, one that's more concerned with being really damn good at playing fantastic games than being a "computer entertainment system" or "all-in-one entertainment center" or whatever. I know that's where the market is going and that's what the masses want, but the Wii U truly was the last gasp for the late '90s/early '00s model of dedicated gaming, and I'll always love it for that.

Bought my Wii U on launch day and haven't regretted it even for a second since. Gets far more playtime than my PS4 and at least as much as my 3DS and PS3. Here's to U, Wii U. <3

If we disregard games that release on multiple platforms, then maybe, but seeing this list makes me realize how little there actually is. I'm glad I only paid $200 for the thing. The Wii U had streaming services and other entertainment features; it wasn't a video game console in the purest sense.

guyssorry

The Wii U single-handedly revitalized my interest in gaming (well, modern gaming) after my extreme disappointment with the ps3 (coming from the ps2) nearly killed it completely. Most of the games I own excel in the most important factor for me: fun, enjoyable gameplay.

It's a shame it flopped so badly, but Nintendo made many terrible mistakes with it.

Things can only improve from here, thus the NX is a day 1 for me.

thanks for the fun, Wii U.

Nudull

Banned
It's pretty much going to go down in history as the second Dreamcast. It had games, no question, but Nintendo mismanaged it at every turn. At least it still has its fans.

I own the majority of the games on that list and I'm just not seeing it . I'm genuinely happy for those who have enjoyed the system, but outside of four or five games that I truly loved, the console has been a disaster for me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Farewell to the system that provided some pretty darn good games (W101, Bayo 2 being two of the best), but absolutely destroyed goodwill with customers, failed to maintain the majority of its Wii base, confused potential customers into thinking it was an accessory, and generally got its ass kicked by being a half baked system that couldn't compete with either last gen or next (current) gen.

=/

Like, it's not even endearing in the way Dreamcast was. It was just kind of...there.

singhr1

Very few as I understand it. Nintendo was running a promotion though where if you bought a $20 fit meter you'd get the game for free. For those of us who still had balance boards, that was an unbeatable deal. Wii Fit U doesn't offer the most intensive exercise program, bit for light to moderately intensive exercise with fun gamification it's the best version of Wii Fit for sure. I owe WF a lot since it helped me shed dozens of pounds so I'll always heartily recommend it. It also helped people me to exercising daily on an exercise bike, so I owe it that also.

Here's a post from the OT with a couple in-game pics I took:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=90835403

You can see we had a pretty good GAF community going for a while. I'll say for sure the scuba and waiter experiences are unlike anything else in gaming. Especially scuba. One of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had on any system.

Man, that's super cool. I should try it out next time i get a chance.

Oh, gotcha. NP! Yeah, there are plenty of great games even outside this image, on the system, though. Especially on the eShop.

One I forgot to add was Devil's Third (Misunderstood game). I've also heard Rayman Legends, Deus Ex and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate thrown around in the thread for anyone interested in more Wii U games, all of these are enhanced by the gamepad.

Sonic Lost World is also pretty good and the Wii U exclusive free DLC is incredible.

DJIzana

I'm happy I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X (best game I've personally played since the original Xenoblade), Mario Maker, Smash Bros U and DKC: TF.

I wish I just borrowed some of the games (from friends) rather than flat out buying these games new. Like Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Super Mario 3D World and Windwaker HD.

Didn't bother playing anything else.

Daingurse

I really shouldn't have bought mine in retrospect. Bought it on impulse for Smash during X-Mas 2014, and yeah it hasn't really been worth it for me personally. I just haven't gotten near as much use outta of it as I wanted, but I think I'm gonna keep it. I'm sick of selling shit only to want it back years later. Wouldn't mind seeing how Zelda Wii-U pushes the hardware too. No way in hell I'm buying an NX at launch, so Wii-U version will have to suffice either way.

200_s.gif

RIP in peace young prince. I had some good fun with my family thanks to Nintendo World, 3D World, Smash, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Racing, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Tekken, etc. I only wish it had more stuff like Zelda, Xenoblade and #FE. Hopefully Nintendo finds success with the NX.

Top Bottom