• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if the guy who brags about watching mainstream media is reaslising the correlation between that and why he's so scared of terrorism...

The media sensation bias effect has a lot to answer for in terms of many stupid decisions (like forgoing medical advice too) precisely because they focus on unusual events because they are better stories so you guess disproportionate coverage of terror attacks and "medical miracles". I wish they'd put these things in context when they covered them (it may be a touching story that X recovered from Y that doctor's said was close to impossible but it tends to ignore the 99% of cases where X2 .... Xn just suffered horribly and then died).

The terrorist thing is really hard to put in context since many international (or even domestic) incidents of similar scale just don't get covered at all because they are part of the normal crime states and just get filed under "boring" crime reports unless you can draw a terrorist link.

darkace

Banned
It's more that given inequality you can have "lift the tide" as high as you like but scarce goods will still be confined to those in the top most area (because their contention will automatically increase their "value" to that point) whereas non-scarce goods behave as you'd expect with "real income" ie they become more common possessions. The limited supply of such goods means that their accessibility is determined by relative not absolute wealth.

All goods in the market are scarce, that's why they cost money. Do you mean luxury goods?

If you mean luxury, they're far more common than a few decades ago.

All goods in the market are scarce, that's why they cost money. Do you mean luxury goods?

If you mean luxury, they're far more common than a few decades ago.

I mean , as I said before, things that are in very rare supply like political influence and (pseudo-)natural monopolies, you can rise the tide as much as you like but those things are never going to be held by anyone but the absolute wealthiest in a market economy.

darkace

Banned
I mean , as I said before, things that are in very rare supply like political influence and (pseudo-)natural monopolies, you can rise the tide as much as you like but those things are never going to be held by anyone but the absolute wealthiest in a market economy.

Political influence is hardly on the free market though, while natural monopolies are held by shareholders, which are generally the citizens of the country.

A University of Melbourne study has found only one electorate will likely vote against SSM, Maranoa (prime Hanson land).

Division_of_MARANOA_2016.png

A few other electorates might vote against if undecideds fall one way.

Apparently some Tory senators have today stated that whatever the overall vote, they will vote how country voters in their states vote. Cowardly.

A University of Melbourne study has found only one electorate will likely vote against SSM, Maranoa (prime Hanson land).

Division_of_MARANOA_2016.png

A few other electorates might vote against if undecideds fall one way.

Apparently some Tory senators have today stated that whatever the overall vote, they will vote how country voters in their states vote. Cowardly.

Ahh yes. Maranoa where Warwick is a shining beacon of progress (also where I grew up).

D.Lo

Can th rest of the country make queensland secede?
Just re-do the constitution to have population proportional Senate representation.

Then we'll no longer be held hostage by backwater Senators, only the odd lucky freak like Hitch.

Not really related, but am always amused/disgusted that Australia has two states named after Queen Victoria. So lame.

Just re-do the constitution to have population proportional Senate representation.

Then we'll no longer be held hostage by backwater Senators, only the odd lucky freak like Hitch.

Not really related, but am always amused/disgusted that Australia has two states named after Queen Victoria. So lame.

Nope.

Queensland is actually under represented and Tasmania over and Tasmania is far less backwater. The only place you'd get less backwater Senators is WA and that's probably still a net loss. You'd probably drop the territories to one each as well but that wouldn't change the balance.

You'd come out a little ahead in Vic but the major power would be NSW and its about 50/50 split anyway.

Unless you mean treat the entirety of Australia as one electorate for 76 Senators, which would be interesting but I hope you like microparties because you're going to get ~2 left wing ones (prob Sex and Animal Justice) (and 2 less Greens) and at least one more right-wing (Shooters & Fishers) and likely more.

Dryk

I'm sure if every electorate voted Yes they'd find some other excuse. "I'll only vote for same-sex marriage if straight country voters above 65 who wear hats on Tuesdays in my state vote yes"

I'm sure if every electorate voted Yes they'd find some other excuse. "I'll only vote for same-sex marriage if straight country voters above 65 who wear hats on Tuesdays in my state vote yes"

Eh they'd just go with voting their conscience ultimately. One of things about the Plebiscite followed by a conscience vote is that it allows conservatives with conservative electorates, conservatives with moderate electorates and moderates with conservative electorates to all Vote against (providing political cover at both the party and electoral level).

Yeah, they have been lining up their respective "outs" for a while now. Bernardi's is apparently foreign money will unfairly affect the process so he's voting no. I assume only pro-money negetively affects the process, I'm sure he'd love some of the anti ssm/gay American money that is spent in other countries especially Africa.

Wd0u8Fz.gif

Dead Man

Eh they'd just go with voting their conscience ultimately. One of things about the Plebiscite followed by a conscience vote is that it allows conservatives with conservative electorates, conservatives with moderate electorates and moderates with conservative electorates to all Vote against (providing political cover at both the party and electoral level).
Indeed.

Ha ha, oh no no... See, Regional QLD isn't QLD at all.

It's Aussie Florida.

Trust me I know, I'm a Queenslander (and I grew up in Warwick, I have a photo somewhere in 1997 where my class met the Member for Maranoa while on a trip to Canberra).

Hanson is a Senator though , all of Queensland is actually her electorate and I don't think she's said anything about country voters specifically. It's probably Christensen and such that have said that.

Wasn't that study based on ABC Vote Compass inputs, aka a voluntary web poll?

Yup, though they reweighted by demographics. It's roughly consistent with other polling too.

Also Go Queensland, 5 of the 10 most opposed (1-4 and 6*), one of the 10 most supportive (10th)

*Katter's seat which may suggest he's a tad wrong about never having met someone Same Sex Attracted.

Speaking of polling, the government's standing in the polls has dropped even further, the quickest decline in primary vote for a re-elected government other than Gillard's. 52-48 to Labor.

If this trend continues, and I have no reason to think it won't, Turnbull is fucked, and I sincerely doubt there's anything the Coalition can do to reverse their fortunes aside from maybe replacing him with Bishop, and we know that's never gonna happen. Morrison would be even worse than Turnbull. Bringing back Abbot would result in a trainwreck and a spectacular return of a Labor government in 2019 if not sooner.

Speaking of polling, the government's standing in the polls has dropped even further, the quickest decline in primary vote for a re-elected government other than Gillard's. 52-48 to Labor.

If this trend continues, and I have no reason to think it won't, Turnbull is fucked, and I sincerely doubt there's anything the Coalition can do to reverse their fortunes aside from maybe replacing him with Bishop, and we know that's never gonna happen. Morrison would be even worse than Turnbull. Bringing back Abbot would result in a trainwreck and a spectacular return of a Labor government in 2019 if not sooner.

I wonder how Prime Minister George Christensen's numbers look. He got another win today.

Support for the plebiscite has fallen from 70 per cent earlier this year to 39 per cent, a Newspoll in The Australian on Wednesday shows, with 48 per cent of respondents saying they favour a vote by members of Parliament to resolve the issue.

The poll found 13 per cent of respondents were undecided.

Among Coalition voters, 47 per cent support a plebiscite compared with 44 per cent who support a parliamentary vote.

On the question of same-sex marriage, 62 per cent said they would vote yes while 32 per cent said they would vote no, with 6 per cent undecided.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ur-of-parliamentary-vote-20160927-grpyo0.html

It does rather bear out Kevin Bonham's thesis that the reason a lot of people wanted a Plebiscite was that they had no faith the government would fucking do it (completely justified given how long this has been kicked down the road already), given that it could actually make it through Parliament / the only people it effects don't want a Plebiscite a lot of tbe support disappears.

Chances 'Sunland Stuart' will catch on? Near zero?

He got dumped from the ministry last year for pulling a similar stunt in China, his career has to terminal now. I suspect he won't contest the next election then probably go to work for Sunland.

The ACT election is getting weird:

I actually know him, very smart guy.

I also got a vote4me yesterday spruking the new international status of the Airport with instructions on the back of the flyer on how to turn it into a paper airplane. I followed the instructions and, you know what? It flew well! I'm voting for that guy.

Oh yes, on Cory's more refined One Nation, I would like to note his thesis shows a staggering failure to understand preferential voting: If the Coalition is losing ground 2PP it's precisely because people are going for Labor over you, even if only as a least worst option. Conservative Coalition votes going to One Nation come back before going to Labor unless he has a secondary thesis that Coalition voters are either a) not actually particularly aligned with Coalition policy over Labor or b) are morons.

I think it's pretty unlikely any benefits were gained by the company as a result of the donations, but it's still best if he resigns. Politicians need to be above even a hint of corruption.

There is no one in party politics above a hint of corruption. Getting pre-selected is the art of selling yourself. And being a Parliamentery member means participating in fundraising (and no, corporations and unions do not give out of the generosity of their hearts, they expect access at best and favorable outcomes at worst).

darkace

Banned
There is no one in party politics above a hint of corruption. Getting pre-selected is the art of selling yourself. And being a Parliamentery member means participating in fundraising (and no, corporations and unions do not give out of the generosity of their hearts, they expect access at best and favorable outcomes at worst).

You can donate from a company that benefits without corruption or expectations of access. A company that imports donating to the free trade party, for instance.

Personally I think federal politics is just about corruption free. It's state and local where the problems are (almost always related to land zoning).

You can donate from a company that benefits without corruption or expectations of access. A company that imports donating to the free trade party, for instance.

Personally I think federal politics is just about corruption free. It's state and local where the problems are (almost always related to land zoning).

That still implies a continued willingness to be the free trade party is the condition of the donation.

The hint of corruption is not the same thing as corruption itself. It's not automatically corrupt to take positions of the people who have donated to you in the past but it certainly looks iffy. It is totally logical to seek business input on something that affects them too it only gets dodgy is when business is the only input you seek (or any stakeholder to the exclusion of others but this is the one that pops up by far the most frequently).

A once-in-a-fifty-year storm knocks over some poles in South Australia and cuts power nation-wide, certain government figures immediately blame renewable energy. Unfortunately, Malcom Turnbull also used it as an excuse to claim that the state goverment's renewable energy target was "pursuing unrealistic emissions targets over energy security". What little respect I still had for him has evaporated.

A once-in-a-fifty-year storm knocks over some poles in South Australia and cuts power nation-wide, certain government figures immediately blame renewable energy. Unfortunately, Malcom Turnbull also used it as an excuse to claim that the state goverment's renewable energy target was "pursuing unrealistic emissions targets over energy security". What little respect I still had for him has evaporated.

Related topic: Anyone know why Xenophon is anti-wind ?

Everything's coming up common fucking sense.

And not the Cory Bernardi sort either thankfully.

Ludlam nailed it.

68LlaXT.png

Mr_Moogle

SA being progressive about green energy is one of the few things we actually get right. What a douchebag.

Oh, going back to the topic of immigration being used to drive down wages, the end of this article talks about 457s being used to drive down construction wages (paying the minimum allowed by 457s (which was below market) and then rorting them on transport and accommodation. (May be paywalled , if it is let me know and I'll excerpt the appropriate paragraph).

https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/10/0...m=Email&utm_campaign=Insider-Subscribe-051016

Nah, the Tony Abbott defence force are out on Twitter already. And may they succeed, Abbott leading the LNP to the next election is exactly what we need (it's never a bad thing to knock another 3% off the LNPs expecting vote).

D.Lo

Oh, going back to the topic of immigration being used to drive down wages, the end of this article talks about 457s being used to drive down construction wages (paying the minimum allowed by 457s (which was below market) and then rorting them on transport and accommodation. (May be paywalled , if it is let me know and I'll excerpt the appropriate paragraph).

https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/10/0...m=Email&utm_campaign=Insider-Subscribe-051016
yeah it's paywalled.

It's true, a company I know literally uses 457s to pay less than market wages when they could hire locally. They go through the motions of qualifying for it, like posting poorly written ads with very low salaries which get 'no suitable responses'. Basically permanent residency points are part of the salary for someone from China, worth tens of thousands of dollars, and of course that part of the 'package' is of no use to a current resident.

darkace

Banned
Most of the problems with 457's stem from the fact that they're tied to a specific employer. Allowing employers to dictate terms with next to no fear of employees leaving makes some areas ripe for abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom