• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bill by Illinois GOP Would Deny Babies of Single Mothers Birth Certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajack

http://deadstate.org/illinois-gop-i...dad-their-babies-wont-get-birth-certificates/

Being a single mom in Springfield, Illinois could get a little more difficult if certain GOP lawmakers get their way.

According to the proposed bill HB6064 filed last week by Reps John D. Cavaletto and Keith Wheeler, if a father is not listed on a newborn child’s birth certificate, the birth certificate will not be issued for the child and any future financial assistance will be denied.

From the proposed legislation, as reported by the Chicagoist:

“[The bill provides] that if the unmarried mother cannot or refuses to name the child’s father, either a father must be conclusively established by DNA evidence or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named, in court, on the birth certificate. Provides that absent DNA evidence or a family member’s name, a birth certificate will not be issued and the mother will be ineligible for financial aid from the State for support of the child.”

And just when you thought the GOP couldn't possibly get any worse with their insane rhetoric...

what.gif

“[The bill provides] that if the unmarried mother cannot or refuses to name the child’s father, either a father must be conclusively established by DNA evidence or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named, in court, on the birth certificate. Provides that absent DNA evidence or a family member’s name, a birth certificate will not be issued and the mother will be ineligible for financial aid from the State for support of the child.”

I've had my fill of GOP bullshit for the week and it's only Monday. Fucking unreal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have zero idea what this is supposed to accomplish.

epmode

So who actually deserves financial aid? According to the people that try to pass laws like this, I mean.

I have zero idea what this is supposed to accomplish.

From further down in the article:

State Rep. Jeanne Ives said:
“You need to have verifiable need. You better know who the daddy is and whether or not he can afford that child and whether or not the taxpayers should be funding that or if there’s actual child support he can provide.”

Fortunately it sounds like this is likely to be killed.

BriGuy

I've heard it said that the GOP was pro-life up until the baby was born, but I thought that was an exaggeration. 30 days? Damn.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What in the god damn fuck is wrong with this part of your country 'Murica GAF?

Not Illinois, the GOP members and supporters. I can't even wrap my head around shit like this.

Like honestly, this is just so pointlessly evil I don't understand the it.

Just tattoo Bastard on the kid and Whore on the mother.
Fucking disgusting thing for a politician to think up in the Uninted States of America. It's like some draconian thing I should be finding out about from Amnesty international about some poor junta ruled country.

dab0ne

My sister in law is a lesbian who is planning artificial insemination. I'm guessing this includes her too? Fucking ridiculous.

......................what?

This doesn't make any sense. You need a birth certificate to prove your name, birthday, and citizenship. How will you get a job without one?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From further down in the article:

Fortunately it sounds like this is likely to be killed.

That reason is not justifiable in the least. I can't believe they thought this was a good idea.

rjinaz

Hey, I'm Father and I sure as hell know who the Mother of my child is! What year is this again?

My half sister is 40 years old and still has no idea who her father is to this day. My mom used to sleep around when she was a teen. Good for her. Sucks for my sister, sure, but still.

Koomaster

I've heard it said that the GOP was pro-life up until the baby was born, but I thought that was an exaggeration. 30 days? Damn.
Basically came to post this, and it's so true. If the baby is in the womb that life is the most fucking precious thing in the world. But once it's born, fuck it, may as well throw it in the trash because the GOP doesn't give any more shits.

Keep punishing babies and those in need GOP; it's a real good look. :/

Edit: As if on cue...
0GrXdWR.png

Just going to laugh now because what the hell.

What are the repercussions of not having a birth certificate?

An incredible amount of repercussions. I don't even know how a person's citizenship would be handled in such a situation. They would probably be treated like an illegal immigrant I guess?
They wouldn't be able to get a social security number, which would keep them from government aid. They wouldn't be able to get any type of federal ID, which would block them from a lot of stuff, most notably being able to vote!

Ms.Galaxy

Are they going completely insane? Like, I can't describe or even think on how to debate against something like this. It's just so bizarre to even think of a reason for this. Once again, I feel like the GOP is turning into an Onion/GTA parody of itself.

Somnid

So the stated reason is that they want to go after the father instead of paying the child support if possible. Okay, but clearly if she didn't list him and he didn't get himself listed he's not going to pay.

Seems blatantly unconstitutional. Not to mention that the motive behind the bill is nakedly racist. The real waste of tax dollars is paying the salary of the miserable fuck who proposed this trash.

cameron

...wait, this is from February?

It is from February. Snopes has a summary:
It was true that Reps. John D. Cavaletto and Keith Wheeler proposed a bill on 11 February 2016 that, if passed, would inhibit the acquisition of a birth certificate for some single mothers. However, that proposal's primary target appeared to be scenarios in which a child's father could be named on a birth certificate (and thus be liable for providing support) but wasn't, placing the fiscal burden of care for a child onto taxpayers.

While the onus was placed on the child's mother to comply in naming the father and completing that record (which would, arguably, make life extremely difficult for single mothers unwilling or unable to comply for a variety of reasons) the bill's goal appeared to be ensuring that fathers of babies born to single mothers paid support for their offspring rather than allowing the state to pick up the tab.
http://www.snopes.com/single-mother-birth-certificate/

Rajack

An incredible amount of repercussions. I don't even know how a person's citizenship would be handled in such a situation. They would probably be treated like an illegal immigrant I guess?
They wouldn't be able to get a social security number, which would keep them from government aid. They wouldn't be able to get any type of federal ID, which would block them from a lot of stuff, most notably being able to vote!

AND THERE WE HAVE THEIR ULTIMATE GOAL. Voter suppression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom