• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foster Care as Punishment: The New Reality of ‘Jane Crow’

From New York Times:

Maisha Joefield thought she was getting by pretty well as a young single mother in Brooklyn, splurging on her daughter, Deja, even though money was tight. When Deja was a baby, she bought her Luvs instead of generic diapers when she could. When her daughter got a little older, Ms. Joefield outfitted the bedroom in their apartment with a princess bed for Deja, while she slept on a pullout couch.

She had family around, too. Though she had broken up with Deja’s father, they spent holidays and vacations together for Deja’s sake. Ms. Joefield’s grandmother lived across the street, and Deja knew she could always go to her great-grandmother’s apartment in an emergency.

One night, exhausted, Ms. Joefield put Deja to bed, and plopped into a bath with her headphones on.

“By the time I come out, I’m looking, I don’t see my child,” said Ms. Joefield, who began frantically searching the building. Deja, who was 5, had indeed headed for the grandmother’s house when she couldn’t find her mother, but the next thing Ms. Joefield knew, it was a police matter.

“I’m thinking, I’ll explain to them what happened, and I’ll get my child,” Ms. Joefield said.

For most parents, this scenario might be a panic-inducing, but hardly insurmountable, hiccup in the long trial of raising a child. Yet for Ms. Joefield and women in her circumstances — living in poor neighborhoods, with few child care options — the consequences can be severe. Police officers removed Deja from her apartment and the Administration for Children’s Services placed her in foster care. Police charged Ms. Joefield with endangering the welfare of a child.

She was caught up in what lawyers and others who represent families say is a troubling and longstanding phenomenon: the power of Children’s Services to take children from their parents on the grounds that the child’s safety is at risk, even with scant evidence.

The agency’s requests for removals filed in family court rose 40 percent in the first quarter of 2017, to 730 from 519, compared with the same period last year, according to figures obtained by The New York Times.

In interviews, dozens of lawyers working on these cases say the removals punish parents who have few resources. Their clients are predominantly poor black and Hispanic women, they say, and the criminalization of their parenting choices has led some to nickname the practice: Jane Crow.

After Ms. Joefield was released from jail, she had a court hearing, and Deja was returned to her after four days. Still, the case stayed open for a year, during which she had to take parenting classes, and caseworkers regularly stopped by her apartment to do things like check her cupboards for adequate food supplies and inspect Deja’s body for bruises. “They asked me if I beat her,” Ms. Joefield said. “They’re putting me in this box of bad mothers.”

“It’s a slap in your face to have someone tell you what you can and cannot do with a child that you brought into this world,” she said, wiping tears away.

“I still get nervous,” she said. “You’re afraid to parent the way you would normally parent.”

Lawyers for parents say the spikes in child removals tend to occur after high-profile failures in the system, and this could well describe the pattern now: In December, the agency administrator resigned after two children who were being monitored by the agency were beaten to death in separate incidents.

As a result, an independent monitor is now assessing the agency, and the new commissioner, David Hansell, has promised to reform it.

Mr. Hansell said in an interview that Children’s Services has been trying to shift from ordering removals to offering support. He supplied figures showing that emergency removals of the kind that took Deja from her mother were about the same, a little over 300, in the first two months of 2017 as during the same period in 2016.

Vivek Sankaran, a professor at the University of Michigan Law School, has examined short-term placements of children in foster care. He learned that in the 2013 federal fiscal year, 25,000 children nationwide were in foster care for 30 days or fewer, about 10 percent of the total removals.

According to court records from Ms. Joefield’s case, a passer-by found Deja, who was then 5, out on the sidewalk at midnight. The records noted that Deja appeared well looked after. Deja told interviewers that she attended school daily and usually ate pancakes for breakfast.

Deja’s pediatrician told the agency that “Ms. Joefield is very attentive” and that “Deja is a smart kid.” Administrators at Deja’s school said they had no concerns. And Children’s Services, in a report on the family, noted that Ms. Joefield was in college; Deja’s father, who lived nearby, was employed and involved; Deja was “very intelligent for her age”; and there was plenty of family support.

Still, the agency pushed for Deja to be removed, though records show the great-grandmother called the agency asking that Deja be sent to her. Deja’s father was also available.

But those four days in 2010, Ms. Joefield said, had produced long-lasting effects.

First, her name remained on a state registry of child abusers for years, preventing Ms. Joefield, a former day care worker, from working with children. Most important, she said, speaking of Deja, the experience had “changed her.”

The threat of the agency removing children has become a weapon landlords use to force out lower paying tenants. According to dozens of public defenders and housing lawyers, some parents face a stark choice: leave their apartments or lose their kids.

Bernadette Charles found this out when her apartment, in the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn, experienced problem after problem. A sluice of brown water came through the ceiling, ruining the suede couch she had just purchased on credit. Large rats took over the kitchen.

While her husband spent his days driving a school bus, she spent hers worrying about how each new hazard would affect her four sons. At first she kept quiet. She felt fortunate to have a place where her family could meet the rent. One day she walked into the bathroom to find black mold sprouting in paisley patterns on the walls. For Ms. Charles, that was the breaking point.

Ms. Charles said that when her landlord learned she had complained to 311 about conditions, he punished her by calling Children’s Services. The agency worker arrived days later. The worker cited unsafe conditions, including roaches and dirty dishes in the sink. Despite noting that the couple’s four children were “clean and healthy,” the worker said they could not stay and removed the children. Ms. Charles remembers her youngest, who was 3 at the time, wailing as he was taken from the apartment.

“He didn’t want to give us any chance,” Ms. Charles said of the Children’s Services agent. Three days later, a judge ordered that the family be reunited.

Juice

I did some contract work for a state agency responsible for child safety in the foster care system (they licensed foster agencies themselves) and I feel like this is, sort of like policing or anti-terrorism, the type of job where the broader system can have really awful externalities even when the vast majority (or even literally all) of the people in it are trying to do the right thing.

I have to imagine if you work for child protective services and you see tons of low-income children neglected and abused, your individual tolerance for quadruple-checking the biases and stereotypes and pattern recognition you gain over time has to erode with each horrific episode you encounter.

Taking a child out of a situation is always going to be the safe bet, because nobody is going to get fired for erring on the side of caution, but you could be absolutely pilloried at work and in the press if you fail to pull a kid out of a bad situation. Especially as the article notes, when the only top-down pressures placed on you are a severe aversion to the disasterous cases of not acting swiftly enough, there's not very much in the broader system to moderate the impulse to pull kids once you're called.

ShyMel

I wish I could be surprised at this, but I'm not. Handcuffing a woman who just gave birth is so vile, as is making her walk to the hospital to feed her child.

Jhoan

Someone posted this article on my Facebook feed. It was a heartbreaking and eye opening read. One of the most shocking and messed up things was being told you're under arrest while under labor, get shackled after labor, then go to court under awful pain. It's incredibly sad that kids often end up with PTSD and in the case of that one woman, can't work around children because she was deemed a threat to them. Children's Services is all one massive misunderstanding and all the victims involved experience long term aftershock.

As someone raised by a single parent with two siblings, there were times where my mom had to run out to get something. As kids, we were more than capable of taking care of ourselves while she was out. Never once did someone call Children's Services because my mom always told us to lock the door after she left.

Just out of curiosity, do the children have any say in this?
What if they misbehave at the foster home just to lash out at the system? Would that reflect badly on the parents?

It really depends on the individuals working for the state and their level of competence. I know it's a bit silly but I feel people in these positions of drastic power should have the skills and intelligence at the very least of those in high profession jobs like police detectives.

rackham

Banned
It's sad but having dealt with my father's rental properties and its tenants, some people should not be raising kids.

I knew a couple who had their 3 kids, plus 3 animals. The inside smelled like shit and piss from the animals and they never cleaned a thing. I felt terrible for the kids. Their rooms were the worst. The worst ammonia smell from piss I ever experienced. We evicted them and called social services.

Saying "the landlord is an asshole" is an easy cop out for being a lazy shitty parent. Don't care how much you supposedly work for your kid- no one should have to live their life suffocating from filth

Mesousa

Banned
It's sad but having dealt with my father's rental properties and its tenants, some people should not be raising kids.

I knew a couple who had their 3 kids, plus 3 animals. The inside smelled like shit and piss from the animals and they never cleaned a thing. I felt terrible for the kids. Their rooms were the worst. The worst ammonia smell from piss I ever experienced. We evicted them and called social services.

Saying "the landlord is an asshole" is an easy cop out for being a lazy shitty parent.

Most people who have kids shouldn't have them.

They cant afford them, and the kids experience hell.

Most people who have kids shouldn't have them.

They cant afford them, and the kids experience hell.

While this is true, this excuse is used as leverage to put good parents in a headlock and their children through hell, even if the parents are only accused of crimes, etc

Flambe

Strange system. I've worked a lot with the Ministry up in B.C. here and they were always trying to keep children with other family members wherever possible (sometimes when they shouldn't) or reunifying kids with their parents as soon as possible (again, sometimes when they shouldn't).

Seems crazy that the grandmother and father were both available for the child and they decided against that route anyway, though that's assuming we aren't missing facts here.

I'm assuming the Foster system down in the U.S. is as overburdened as ours up here, both with Foster Parents/Respite and the Ministry workers themselves.

Fuchsdh

Child Services and groups that have to report to them have always been incredibly reflexive. My brother slammed my finger in a door when were were both young and when my parents took me to hospital for it they got separated and questioned as possible child abusers.

I'm disappointed the NYT didn't actually do a rigorous job in checking the validity of this Jane Crow idea. Surely there should be statistics you can use to see if minority women are being targeted at higher rates for child removal than others at similar levels of income and education. As it is, the only claim is anecdotal evidence from lawyers.

WedgeX

Banned
I worked in foster care reunification. So, helping kids come home to their families from foster care once the parents had successfully worked with their foster care worker. A very small number of parents did not deserve to have their children home. However, the vast majority of kids deserved their parents, and parents deserved their kids. Really tough to judge whether the trauma of being removed from homes was worth it, in the end.

However. This was also a rural county, that for some reason included a corner of a medium sized city. And that corner was predominantly African-American. The court cases I saw out of that small corner were infuriatingly flimsy compared to the rest of the county. One case in particular was egregious. An African-American mom got her kids back, and we started working with her. Things went completely normal, she was a good mom. Yet the foster care worker and the guardian ad litem were dead set on the children not remaining in the home. The GAL had a history of not believing that domestic abuse actually existed, generally was a scummy dude. All of the involved workers and attorneys were white. They accused her of drinking, despite no history of substance abuse, and of not working, despite being able to produce work stubs. Her court-appointed attorney for some reason deferred to the foster care worker, and the prosecuting attorney for reasons that baffle me to this day also deferred to the foster care worker. Despite my and my team's strong protestations. After many heated meetings the foster care worker had a court date set and at court convinced the judge to remove the children. Despite our objections in court, and with the court-appointed attorney doing absolutely nothing.

My regular coffee shop was across the street from this foster care workers office. I saw her, after court. Over heard her saying how the removal was to teach the mom a lesson. So much trauma for a lesson. With no actual proof of...anything.

I refused to work with that agency, a state-contracted one rather than state government, from that point on. I gave that mom the contact information of every legal group in that part of the state and urged her to fight it as I could not contact them on her behalf, nor contact any media due to HIPPA and the like.

To me it was a clear-cut case of racism and racist paternalism.

edit:

and the original reason for removal? The mom had been the victim of domestic violence.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I dated a girl who got put in foster care when she was in middle school, along with her brothers (who they split into three different homes), because their mom smoked pot. To be fair, they warned her that the next time she had a drug test if she had weed in her system they'd take her kids, and her being the cunt she is ignored their warning. But it fucked those kids up for life. There had to be a better way.

Child protective services are tough to get right. There have been a number of high profile failures, and like the article says, it can lead to over-zealous interventions in the interests of being safe rather than sorry. This particular case sounds like that has occurred. It's a topic close to my heart as I've had a bad experience with a neighbour and their child, where I had some doubts and gave the parent the benefit of doubt, only for the worst to happen. Nowadays I will intervene and make a call if I have any concerns at all.

Flambe

My regular coffee shop was across the street from this foster care workers office. I saw her, after court. Over heard her saying how the removal was to teach the mom a lesson. So much trauma for a lesson. With no actual proof of...anything.

I refused to work with that agency, a state-contracted one rather than state government, from that point on. I gave that mom the contact information of every legal group in that part of the state and urged her to fight it as I could not contact them on her behalf, nor contact any media due to HIPPA and the like.

Ugh, teach the mom a lesson and traumatize the kids they're supposed to be helping.

Good for you for helping the mother out as best you could with tied hands. Kudos

Also as an aside, this isn't to crap on the Foster system at large because it can be a greatly beneficial thing for many children and there are absolutely amazing foster parents out there giving them a chance for a normal life with love and support they otherwise wouldn't have.

Top Bottom