• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's smartphone rev ($631 mil) surpasses HD game rev ($537M) in record year

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is the first time it's ever happened, and boy are they making a lot of money. This is even slightly more mobile revenue than EA I believe, even despite the unfavorable currency comparison.

To note, "HD games" consists of all console and handheld titles as well as PC f2p and digitally downloadable games.

FFXIV and DQX are in the separate MMO section of the chart.

This was their best year for all three divisions in a long time, as you can see in the chart below.

square22muwr.png

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/16q4slides.pdf

Here's what they list as their key "HD Games" and mobile releases for the fiscal year:

I don't feel good about this... please don't let this mean that focus on mobile will hinder the development on consoles.. That would be upsetting :(

inb4 final fantasy xvi is a mobile exclusive

edit: on the other hand, if this means that more games are to be made with the quality of the recent kingdom heart chi, that would be okay. Just don't hold back on console game devleopment

Whompa02

Would love to see their profits after FFXV releases. Not cynical or anything, I'm just curious if it will flip after.

Fraxin

Realm reborn?
It's an MMO, so it doesn't count, remember?
j/k
I don't feel good about this... please don't let this mean that focus on mobile will hinder the development on consoles.. That would be upsetting :(

inb4 final fantasy xvi is a mobile exclusive

Well I think Square used to say that Mobile is the future, and unfortunately it seems true in their case. DQXII and FFXVI Mobile exclusive incoming.

Reason why I laughed each time as some poster says that FFXV bombing could bankrupt the whole company. Even if they canned the game day before release they would probably still even make money this coming fiscal year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Reason why I laughed each time as some poster says that FFXV bombing could bankrupt the whole company. Even if they canned the game day before release they would probably still even make money this coming fiscal year.

I mean, they basically had that scenario last year when their flagship HD games were Dragon Quest Heroes, Life is Strange, and the HD remaster of Type-0.

Don't know why this should be a concern to us considering that their console/PC games are doing great as well.

It's not dying anytime soon in Japan, I believe if mobile does good it can mitigate some costs on the console side.. As long it's not so egregious.

Is that counted for HD Games or MMOs?

I'm trying to think of what HD games would be counted here. Hitman, Tomb Raider and JC3?

Oops, right. Does seem the HD games here then are the Western developed ones, as you suggest.

Edit, indeed, as now added to OP. I seem to be very slow this morning =P

Mobile and Console/PC can co-exist.

Also, I'd be more happy for them if we got some of those mobile Dragon Quest titles in the West.

Trago

It's not dying anytime soon in Japan, I believe if mobile does good it can mitigate some costs on the console side.. As long it's not so egregious.

That, and it's not like Square's pumping nearly the same budgets into these mobile titles as they are console/PC. It's almost like easy money for them.

Sulik2

Billions of people with smartphones love exploitative free to play games is the moral of the story for every video game publisher. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Top Bottom