• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woohoo, just installed Windows XP! What Are Some Must-Play PC Games?

HUELEN10

From last century, or very early this century of course...
BDbuMo6.jpg

Look ma, shareware CDs from Walmart!

After nearly a decade, I FINALLY get to play Westwood monopoly again! Now to make a disc image so I don't need to put the CD every time.

Seriously guys, I've been meaning to do this for ages, but it's always been lack of time, hard-drive fuck-ups, horrible Windows 10 installations gone wrong and faulty compatibility layers, or some other bullshit, but we're finally good to go!

Currently, besides legacy shareware I wanna do let's plays and shit on, I have the following on me.

Westwood Monopoly
Star Trek: Starship Creator
Monkey Island 3
Hasbro Pong
Lose Your Marbles!
Hover!
SkiFree
Microsoft Encarta (For The Mind Maze!)
Hasbro Battleship
Railroad Tycoon III
Moto Extreme
Star Trek: Armada
Star Trek: Armada II
Bill Nye the Science Guy:Stop the Rock!
Star Trek: Pinball
The Last Express
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
MOTHERFUCKING SimTunes!

I am sure I have much more in storage, but it will be weeks until I can get those. Thankfully, this current XP setup seems to be good to play any Windows or DOS games I could want. As a kid, I didn't play many games period, and fell in love with console gaming, so the legacy PC library has gone by the wayside and I wanna remedy this. The more non-steam recommendations, the better! Please make sure to describe what the game is about, and link some shots or vids, names alone aren't gonna do a person who doesn't know much, well, much.

As far as what I am into, I am open for pretty much anything but shooters, WRPGs or fantasy RTS games.

SparkTR

Outcast, an action-adventure game set in a sci fi world. Rome Total War, a great strategy game. Baldur's Gate 2, an RPG.

Age of Wonders 2, The Longest Journey, Quake 2, SiN, Blood, Homeworld, Ground Control, Freespace 2, Freelancer, Ultima Underworld, Thief 1/2, System Shock 2, Heretic 2, Blood, Warhammer Dark Omen, Neverwinter Nights.

There's literally thousands.

HUELEN10

Space Cadet Pinball!

Comes with it!
Outcast, an action-adventure game set in a sci fi world. Rome Total War, a great strategy game. Baldur's Gate 2, an RPG.

Age of Wonders 2, The Longest Journey, Quake 2, SiN, Blood, Homeworld, Ground Control, Freespace 2, Freelancer, Ultima Underworld, Thief 1/2, System Shock 2, Heretic 2, Blood, Warhammer Dark Omen, Neverwinter Nights.

There's literally thousands.

Yeah, that's my problem.

SPCTRE

holy shit, Westwood Monopoly!

As you're obviously into Star Trek, make sure to check out Birth of the Federation. It's basically a TNG-themed 4X game, think: Alpha Centauri, but you're a Star Trek dude/race.

L7LCYlu.jpg

SparkTR

Also since you're a Star Trek fan the best era of ST games were with late 90's PC. Elite Force 1/2, Deep Space Nine The Fallen, 25th Annivasary, Judgement Rites, A Final Unity, Starfleet Acedemy, Klingon Academy, Armada 1/2, Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command.

HUELEN10

I've played so many computer Monopoly games.

It truly is THE definitive Monopoly experience period. Music is great, graphics are nice, it has a great art style, and the way you can customize the rules beforehand is superb.

Westwood Monopoly was actually the whole reason I wanted to do this. it's been too long.

HUELEN10

As you're obviously into Star Trek, make sure to check out Birth of the Federation. It's basically a TNG-themed 4X game, think: Alpha Centauri, but you're a Star Trek dude/race.

L7LCYlu.jpg
Will have to look into it!
Also since you're a Star Trek fan the best era of ST games were with late 90's PC. Elite Force 1/2, Deep Space Nine The Fallen, 25th Annivasary, Judgement Rites, A Final Unity, Starfleet Acedemy, Klingon Academy, Armada 1/2, Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command.
This is one I've been eyeing. Thoughts?
Sonic & Knuckles Collection! It's a classic :p

Might just do it for the shitty music alone.

HUELEN10

But yeah, with Windows 10 and Windows XP, does this mean I can truly play everything, or would I still need to install Windows Vista or 7 for some things released last decade?

SparkTR

But yeah, with Windows 10 and Windows XP, does this mean I can truly play everything, or would I still need to install Windows Vista or 7 for some things released last decade?

Should be fine. Hell, even without Windows XP it should be fine. Compatibility wrappers like DGVoodoo2 and emulators like DOSbox have pretty much allowed me to play any older PC game on my modern PC. I very, very rarely run into unsolvable issues.

HUELEN10

Should be fine. Hell, even without Windows XP it should be fine. Compatibility wrappers like DGVoodoo2 and emulators like DOSbox have pretty much allowed be to play any older PC game on my modern PC. I very, very rarely run into unsolvable issues.

Westwood Monopoly and Sonic 3D Blast ended up being 2 of those mysterious "unsolvables" for me, not to mention I want full compatibility for those random shareware discs!

But yeah, good to know then. if XP's command prompt gives me trouble, I can do DOS emulation on it, and all the modern stuff can be down on 10. Right now XP is a 40GB virtual machine running on a 5K iMac under OS X El Captain, with a Boot Camp partition of Windows 10 that can be run natively or virtualized through VMware Fusion. I have every 6th, 7th, and 8th gen console minus PS4 (will get another one whenever the next one comes out an exclusive I give a shit are there), homebrew on my Wii, an Apple TV 4, and an HDMI cable running to the TV.

Can... could I play everything now? Is this what PC gaming feels like?

Persona7

Banned
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

System Shock 2

Beyond Good and Evil

Sanitarium

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Silent Hill 4

Droog

L7LCYlu.jpg

I second this but also offer this alternative: Master of Orion 2. It's the game that BotF is based on but is arguably better in terms of race customization, heroes, ship designing etc. but without the Star Trek skin of course... No 3D combat either.

batfax

My late 90's/Early 2000's PC gaming memories are populated by Deus Ex, the Journeyman Project trilogy, Outlaws, SimCity 2000, Sim Copter, The Sims, Septerra Core, Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Morrowind, Fallout 1, and Fallout 2.

HUELEN10

Yeah, Westwood Monopoly on 10 is a definite no-go.

What's gonna suck is controller support for XP. I kinda wanna use an Xbox one controller, but I'll settle with a Classic Controller Pro.

I had no idea Westwood's Monopoly being very good was a thing. I mean, I really liked it a lot, but I didn't realize it was quality. Maybe I should reinstall my copy, lol.

My suggestion strictly for games that can't be run on modern Windows:

Sim City 2000 (the Windows version).

Sim City 2000 is a 32-bit application and therefore can technically run on modern 64-bit versions of Windows, but unfortunately the installer is a 16-bit program and therefore it can't actually be installed on 64-bit Windows (which dropped 16 bit compatibility).

Note that the Origin and probably the GOG version are the DOS versions of the game, which is inferior in many ways. The Windows version has extra features.

Yeah, Westwood Monopoly on 10 is a definite no-go.

What's gonna suck is controller support for XP. I kinda wanna use an Xbox one controller, but I'll settle with a Classic Controller Pro.

You can emulate the Xbox controller with a classic controller, making it compatible with applications that have XNA controller support out of the box. I don't know how off the top of my head, though, but it's worthwhile to do IMO.

HUELEN10

I had no idea Westwood's Monopoly being very good was a thing. I mean, I really liked it a lot, but I didn't realize it was quality. Maybe I should reinstall my copy, lol.

My suggestion strictly for games that can't be run on modern Windows:

Sim City 2000 (the Windows version).

Sim City 2000 is a 32-bit application and therefore can technically run on modern 64 but versions of Windows, but unfortunately the installer is a 16 bit program and therefore it can't actually be installed on 64 bit Windows (which dropped 16 bit compatibility).

Also, the Origin and probably the GOG version are the DOS versions of the game, which is inferior in many ways. The Windows version has extra features.

I found a complete in jewel copy at Goodwill. So I got the definitive one? Sweet! never played a non-SNES Sim City!

Ysarus

Since you say you're open to anything, how about the Creatures series? Life simulators with an actual AI, mutations, and plenty of complex systems. There really hasn't been anything like it since then. I sank many hours into those games when I was younger.

The Creatures 2 critters are incredibly dumb though, you need modded breeds for that one.

And I second Outcast.

I found a complete in jewel copy at Goodwill. So I got the definitive one? Sweet! never played a non-SNES Sim City!

Ah, well if you like it, check out Sim City 4, a great sequel that is more modern and friendly, UI and gameplay-wise. I personally think it's a little better than Sim City 2000. SC4 is also on Mac OS X, though.

There are Windows versions of some other old DOS Sim games, too. I used to collect them from these catalogs I got at elementary school where you could buy books and games.

huh why not?

@ the post saying not to question Huelen's taste..I wanna delete this post but now am stuck with it.

Well, first, it's not polite, lol. Second, Huelen is the one person is this forum that's less likely to change his/her opinion.

Well, I might be wrong about my second point, but I've never seen it happen :p.

Top Bottom