• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst Zelda game?

Phediuk

Excluding spinoffs like Link's Crossbow Training and the Four Swords games. And the CD-i ones don't count, because of course they don't.

No need for debate or anything, just say what you think the worst real Zelda game is.

Link to the Past is by FAR my least favorite Zelda game. I hate it, while I hate no other Zelda games.

Wind Waker is my least fav 3D Zelda game, but I still like it quite a bit.

CassSept

Easily Phantom Hourglass, I don't see how anything else could qualify.

Though obviously any minute now someone will come in here and say Sky....

Any/all after LotP.

Seriously though, Skyward Sword turned me off the quickest of the 3D Zeldas.

....oh

Link to the Past is by FAR my least favorite Zelda game. I hate it, while I hate no other Zelda games.

What in the fuck.

Anyway I agree with Wind Waker, terribly padded and a pain to both start and finish.

I'll say Spirit Tracks. I liked Phantom Hourglass for the novelty, and the Wind Waker art direction was something I already loved. But Spirit Tracks was just.....not fun for me.

Skyward Sword would be my choice as well. Good notes were hit like the orchestrated soundtrack, but I was pretty disappointed with it overall for various reasons.

TriAceJP

You are not a real person. You cannot factually exist in this world.

I will have to vote for Spirit Tracks.

I liked Phantom Hourglass, but that's the answer IMO.

Runner up is Tri Force Heroes, which I had some great times with friends, but its single player is so annoying compared to the single player of Four Swords Adventures (GameCube) and Four Swords Anniversary (DSiWare). Plus you can ONLY play with two others, no more and no less, unlike the two aforementioned games where you can play multiplayer with two, three or four players.

Skyward Sword is my least favorite. I don't know if I can truly qualify it as "worst" since a lot of my dislike for it is built on a growing boredom with the series structure, but it was definitely the least magical one I've experienced going into for the first time.

That being said, if we want to make a case for actual worst - I think the original might kind of fit the bill. I don't mean it's a bad game - it was absolutely groundbreaking, spellbinding, etc etc - but in terms of design it's by far the most obtuse and unintuitive. That's understandable since it's the first in a now well-established series. They were trying new things and the series got refined as it went on, but seriously, the original Zelda is rough if you strip it of historical context. Which, to be fair - is how it should be, considering it's the very first one.

Loptous

Spirit Tracks for me.
Traveling with the train just wasn't very fun.
I also think the final boss was terrible.
And playing the flute was the worst thing ever.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
As Xander said, the original is easily the roughest to actually play today. I actually like Skyward Sword a lot so this is really hard for me...maybe Twilight Princess then

EDIT: Oh doy, yeah its Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. They're both fine, but that's about it

Dizzy

Banned
Probably Zelda 2. Though Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword deserve a mention.

Zelda 1 is dated but not so bad. Zelda 2 is bad even by 80's standards. I kind of feel like it was an early game though, and at that time Nintendo hadn't solidified Zelda the way they have now.

I've replayed OOT, MM and WW the past two years via their remakes and they still hold up well. Going through TP HD though and it's just so boring. I'm having to force myself throgh it.

I got bored of SS part of the way through it. I think I enjoyed it a little more than TP but then I managed to finish TP and not SS. Also the waggle was annoying and having to constantly recalibrate the wiimote.

All the other games are good. Though I've never played the DS games so I can't comment on those. Heard opinions were mixed though.

pizzacat

Banned
You are not a real person. You cannot factually exist in this world.

I will have to vote for Spirit Tracks.
You should really pay attention to his other opinions, let me tell you 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Definitely Spirit Tracks. Phantom Hourglass, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess have some issues, but they're minor compared to Spirit Tracks. They took out most of the overworld exploration by putting you on the train and controlling the train isn't fun anyway. Then they want you to do fights and dumb missions on the train. AND it still has the crap touchscreen controls from PH. It's bad.

I also have to add that TriForce Heroes sucks. That's really the worst one, since it's pretty much unplayable unless you have the perfect setup with friends.

A Link Between Worlds is junk. The dungeons are shit, puzzle difficulty is locked at baby because of the game's open structure, and the constant refrains of it being a return to form for the series have driven me to the brink.

All the other games in the series have some merit. ALBW has none. I hate it.

blamite

Proably Phantom Hourglass... Spirit Tracks is a legit good game, but PH just wasn't there at all. If I had to eliminate one Zelda game from history it'd be wither that one or Zelda 2, although I'm kind of biased against that one just because I've never even come close to beating it, and I don't think I really plan to, either.

Myriadis

Considering that even the worst Zelda is pretty good, Links Awakening. It is one of the better Zeldas and they managed to move the Zelda gameplay successfully to the little thing, yes. But the game is way too easy, it is plagued with bad design decisions (like reserving a big part of your map for a minigame, or making the trading quest a mandatory quest just to pad out the game length, or having to tell me each time why I can't break the stone or what the acorn does) and I hate Moyses german translation.
The oracle games use the same basics but do so much more with it.

The Gameboy Zeldas. Linear games with frustrating controls. It's not that they're bad, it's just so annoying that the game is interrupted every few seconds to change equipment. That's why it confuses me that people bitch about the Water Temple. The Gameboy games are all water temples, even the over world.

Gardios

Either Zelda 2(sloppy controls and Link feels too unwieldy with his poor traction) or Link's Awakening(all but the last two dungeons suck, the story falls flat due to being overly telegraphed, boring item selection, s-l-o-w-t-e-x-t-s-p-e-e-d, and damn near non-existent challenge even by Zelda standards).

mrmickfran

tumblr_nna5xeJO681t9sksvo1_400.gif

I nominate Skyward Sword

A Link Between Worlds is junk. The dungeons are shit, puzzle difficulty is locked at baby because of the game's open structure, and the constant refrains of it being a return to form for the series have driven me to the brink.

All the other games in the series have some merit. ALBW has none. I hate it.
Now this is an opinion I've honestly never heard before. Wow...I can't say I agree at all. I found the open structure refreshing, and I don't think the method by which you gain items has any effect on the difficulty of the puzzles. Care to elaborate on how those two things connect?

Top Bottom