• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HWinfo: GTX1080 Founders Edition has horrible throttling issues, MSI gets it right

wachie

The notion that the Founder's edition is a work of craftmanship blah blah, making a loss on every card sold is outright hilarious when the partner cards are that much better.

This video should be linked at the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw

It's a dutch review so borrowing VC's translation.

Hardware.info said:
Founders Edition suffers from a horrendous amount of throttling and it runs +- 150 MHz lower all the time.

SJWkV6h.png

Review and more details - http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/676...g-x-review-de-eerste-custom-gtx-1080-duurtest

I get horrible R9 290 ref design flashbacks :")
Seriously, Throttling is the worst issue you can have with a GPU (other than ones breaking it of course).

Mivey

I believe the FE editions are just a test from Nvidia to see how much they already control the market, even when they offer something totally stupid. Since it is a temporary thing, the possible negative effects are limited. Interesting idea, actually.

Sky Chief

But Kyle from HardOCP said that reference cards are always the best

When NVIDIA talks about craftsmanship and quality of components of the Founders Edition cards, I believe that message. For years now, while not from NVIDIA directly, I have understood these cards to be of the best design, components choice, and best executed assembly process in the industry. This is not to say that the cards from AIB partners are inferior, but the fact is that NVIDIA has not put profitability before quality when it come to building Founders Edition cards.

Founders Edition cards have already shown to overclock extremely well. The GTX 1080 shown operating on the NVIDIA stage Friday night was a Founders Edition card and it was explained to us that the card was not cherry-picked or validated in any way to be "special." Also, that card was running on the Founders Edition stock cooler.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/09/nvidia_founders_edition_cards_yea_or_nay#.V1B0KMtlBnF

wachie

I believe the FE editions are just a test from Nvidia to see how much they already control the market, even when they offer something totally stupid. Since it is a temporary thing, the possible negative effects are limited. Interesting idea, actually.
Nvidia TAX.

The FE chips were supposed to be hand picked for quality.

That means that the other models, too, might have substantial throttling problems.

Also, don't trust reviews at this stage. The cards that these sites are sent for review are ALSO usually hand picked. That means that the product they review MIGHT NOT BE the product you find in the shop.

It already happened with AMD/290x.

Of course better cooling can help reduce the problem, but the BIG issue here is that the 970/980 weren't throttling even in their "reference" models. So these new models have problems of their own, probably meaning Nvidia really tried to push at the ceiling instead of keeping specs conservative.

It might even rise issues about the life cycle of the chip. If they are subjective to throttling then it might also mean the life cycle is quite short. And that's something no one can review.

wachie

More than one review has shown performance improvements with overclocking. How could that even be possible if it's being thermally throttled even at stock speeds?

I'm interested to see additional sources provide some input on this whole thing.
It's actually well documented on other places.

https://www.techpowerup.com/222895/...edition-owners-complain-of-fan-revving-issues
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4k9rm7/adoredtv_speaks_on_the_gtx_1080_high_temperatures/
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/600732-gtx-1080-founders-edition-thermal-throttling/

The FE chips were supposed to be hand picked for quality.

That means that the other models, too, might have substantial throttling problems.

Also, don't trust reviews at this stage. The cards that these sites are sent for review are ALSO usually hand picked. That means that the product they review MIGHT NOT BE the product you find in the shop.

It already happened with AMD/290x.

Of course better cooling can help reduce the problem, but the BIG issue here is that the 970/980 weren't throttling even in their "reference" models. So these new models have problems of their own, probably meaning Nvidia really tried to push at the ceiling instead of keeping specs conservative.

It might even rise issues about the life cycle of the chip. If they are subjective to throttling then it might also mean the life cycle is quite short. And that's something no one can review.

290 and 290x were amazing cards but throttling would kill its performances. The good point with reference design is that the price dropped when they needed to clear them. Got one for 200€ and was happy with it... until I saw it wouldn't maintain its clocks and was loud. Easily fixed it with a cheap aftermarket cooler. Basically, that's the point of reference designs IMO.

More than one review has shown performance improvements with overclocking. How could that even be possible if it's being thermally throttled even at stock speeds?

Because hardware sites tent the cards with completely open cases, and because they run benchmarks for 3 minutes. Often that's not enough to overheat a card.

What happens if you play for two hours in a closed case?

That's the big problem with all hardware reviews: they never test in realistic conditions. They use very high end dedicated computers in order to bring out the differences, but then they can't know what happen with the average daily use.

Instro

I truly hope Nvidia loses significant business to AMD this year. It probably won't happen, but they really need a swift kick in the ass.

I strongly suggest everyone who bought a founders edition card to promptly return it and wait for the third party cards. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA etc. all know what they're doing

Edit: You're practically paying the same price for a founders edition vs a 3rd party card with MUCH better cooling.

SerTapTap

Yuuuuuck. More reason to never get reference cards...especially for more money! Sapphire or EVGA only for me

bj00rn_

Banned
Hah! I bought the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X blind (only thing I knew was that I have the 970 Gaming version..) because the pre-orders was flying, and everytime I see it being mention it's in a good light. Couldn't be happier.

Edit: Mine is not needed either (removed quote)..

R1CHO

FE is nvidia latest scam. They are getting a bunch more of bucks taking advantage of their name and the fact that they are launching the FE first, before the other models.

And as seen here, they don't give two shits, pay us more and in return you get the worst possible version of the gpu, thanks nvidia.

Mrbob

FE is nvidia latest scam. They are getting a bunch more of bucks taking advantage of their name and the fact that they are launching the FE first, before the other models.

And as seen here, they don't give two shits, pay us more and in return you get the worst possible version of the gpu, thanks nvidia.
Just need to see AMD deliver on more than just the RX480 and I could see people jumping ship to team red.

Top Bottom