• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazuma Kaneko's first new drawing in seven years

randomkid

is this

tumblr_o83sjtF8Kg1si48w3o1_1280.jpg

for Famitsu's 30th anniversary issue. this is the first new work he has produced in any form of media since Strange Journey in 2009.

http://estipse.tumblr.com/post/145263681445/お目当てのゲームよりこっちの方がオモシれー-our-games-are-heetter-than#_=_

Hylian7

No black lips ??
This is fake.

ROFL

I really miss Kaneko artwork though. Really was some truly amazing stuff.

However I'm liking some of the directions Doi took for SMTIV Apocalypse, especially revising some of the worse SMTIV designs.

Why is this guy not around anymore...

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure he's gone on record saying he wanted to pass the torch down and let younger artists do artwork for SMT. He still does artwork for graphic novels and stuff. If I'm not mistaken, he also still had some supervisory presence on SMTIV and Apocalypse.

ROFL

I really miss Kaneko artwork though. Really was some truly amazing stuff.

However I'm liking some of the directions Doi took for SMTIV Apocalypse, especially revising some of the worse SMTIV designs.

Kaneko is amazing. I'd love to see him back on SMTV.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why is this guy not around anymore...
It's how corporations work. The more successful you are, the higher you move up in the company, and the less likely you are to do what made you successful. Can't blame the guy either. Who wouldn't want to move on up to the more luxurious jobs that pay better and have way better hours?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure he's gone on record saying he wanted to pass the torch down and let younger artists do artwork for SMT. He still does artwork for graphic novels and stuff. If I'm not mistaken, he also still had some supervisory presence on SMTIV and Apocalypse.

Ah, fair enough. Shame, it feels like he stopped at his peak (Raidou 2).

artsi

It's how corporations work. The more successful you are, the higher you move up in the company, and the less likely you are to do what made you successful. Can't blame the guy either. Who wouldn't want to move on up to the more luxurious jobs that pay better and have way better hours?

And he's raised two very capable successors from Soejima and Doi. They're both very good artists who grew up working with Kaneko.

Golnei

Thought he did the DMC4SE illustrations?

I don't think so, other than the vague 'illustration' credit (which could hypothetically just be for using his DT design), I'm not sure the cover artist was ever specified by official sources. And it doesn't look like his style at all...

epmode

Kaneko's designs are among the best in the business. Utterly unique stuff. It really sucks that he backed off so completely.

And he's raised two very capable successors from Soejima and Doi. They're both very good artists who grew up working with Kaneko.

Capable, yes. Anywhere near approaching his style and imagination? No way. It's really a loss for everyone that he thinks he needs to "pass the torch" to other artists.

I would think that as an artist he would have a passion to keep drawing; it's strange that he just doesn't seem to do anything at all now.

artsi

They're not as good unfortunately. Soejima always felt the weakest of the bunch imo.

Some don't like the style, but there's a reason why people always praise how stylish Persona is and that's Shigenori Soejima :p

Doi on the other hand is a bit more SMT style, if people prefer that. He's not Kaneko but can't expect an artist to simply copy someone else.

.JayZii

Banned
Capable, yes. Anywhere near approaching his style and imagination? No way. It's really a loss for everyone that he thinks he needs to "pass the torch" to other artists.

I would think that as an artist he would have a passion to keep drawing; it's strange that he just doesn't seem to do anything at all now.
I'm sure he does personal work. He's not obligated to show everything he makes to the public or anything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game is more fun than the one you're after? Densetsu no Densetsu 2? I'd play that.

brinstar

I'm pretty sure he directed and oversaw the art in IV. I have the artbook and they mention his notes on the illustrations a lot. He also came up with the scenario and ideas for SMTIV.

randomkid

I'm pretty sure he directed and oversaw the art in IV. I have the artbook and they mention his notes on the illustrations a lot. He also came up with the scenario and ideas for SMTIV.

Doi had to send in his art up top to be approved by him, yeah. Kaneko himself has never given any interviews about it or SMT4 in general as far as I know.

Setsu00

Soejima and Kaneko learned from each other. Soejima is actually the reason why Kaneko started using Photoshop which culminated in the porcelain doll look that Kaneko is famous for.

Joqu

Well, you never know guys. We had a LOT of SMT games during the PS2 era, I can only hope that happens again, but if it does I wouldn't be surprised if he'd return for a side game or two. He ain't taking the whole thing over again at this point tho

Dantis

Soejima and Kaneko learned from each other. Soejima is actually the reason why Kaneko started using Photoshop which culminated in the porcelain doll look that Kaneko is famous for.

Yep.

I was going to say this too, but Kaneko's art was leagues worse before Soejima showed the guys at Atlus the airbrush in Photoshop.

Soejima is definitely more than just 'capable', lol.

Cool, didn't know that. But I don't think that 'made' his look – his linework, use of shading, fashion sensibility, expertise with color, and pure imagination are what makes him peerless as a character designer.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Kaneko is one of my favorite artists ever :)

It's a shame that he hasn't done a MegaTen game in so long...

Raidou Kuzunoha 3 plzkthnxbai ;-;

randomkid

that's a bit of a generous reading if you're talking about what happened during Devil Summoner with Metatron. No disrespect to the dude but Soejima was Kaneko's understudy. There are lots of folks who still love Kaneko's earlier work.

and yeesh everyone, can we not gamefaqs this place up into kaneko vs. soejima thread number 3080 please?

Cool, didn't know that. But I don't think that 'made' his look – his linework, use of shading, fashion sensibility, expertise with color, and pure imagination are what makes him peerless as a character designer.

Preach!

did he not do the illustrations for the Trauma Center series?

Since every game's cast looks like they share the same style with whatever demon-battling teenagers are also around in another part of town.

Dantis

did he not do the illustrations for the Trauma Center series?

Since every game's cast looks like they share the same style with whatever demon-battling teenagers are also around in another part of town.

Noooo, that was Doi.

Trauma Center's art is surprisingly rough looking when you go back to it, I find.

igor

Wasn't Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey featuring his artwork?

...that was not 7 years ago?

oh my fucking god.

Setsu00

that's a bit of a generous reading if you're talking about what happened during Devil Summoner with Metatron. No disrespect to the dude but Soejima was Kaneko's understudy. There are lots of folks who still love Kaneko's earlier work.

and yeesh everyone, can we not gamefaqs this place up into kaneko vs. soejima thread number 3080 please?

That's what I'm referring to and you cannot deny that this decision has shaped both Megami Tensei and Kaneko's art as a whole. I'm not meaning to disrespect Kaneko. Kaneko is a great artist and I love his modern work, but he is not peerless. Soejima's and Kaneko's art developed into different directions, but it's incredibly obvious that they influenced each other immensly. That's just how art works.

Aters

Who did the character design for P3 and P4? I always find it interesting that although P3's design is more "immature", I like it a lot more than P4's. Those super long necks, can't get enough!

Top Bottom