• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this "gold" SNES controller? Just discoloration from age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: As expected, it's actually just a super gross controller. The last of my childhood has been soured and I have no reason to ever go back to my mother and father's house. In some ways, it is freeing. In other ways, I am more a prisoner than I've ever been. Really makes you think.

This thread is over now. Thank you all!

Original OP:

This is kind of an embarrassing thread, but definitely not the most embarrassing I've ever made. So let's just go with it.

I was born the same day the Super Nintendo came out in North America, but I didn't meet my first Super Nintendo until sometime around 1998. I picked one up at a yard sale with a bunch of games and an extra controller. One of these controllers was "gold." I didn't think anything of it.

I parted ways with that SNES a long time ago, but I held on to the gold-colored controller as a memento of a console I loved. I still have the controller, pictured below.

DDQPmji.jpg
si4gRZu.jpg
NiAF4ux.jpg
6NKHg8Q.jpg

The controller looks exactly the same as it did in 1998. It's been in a drawer that I open often and it certainly hasn't changed at all. But today I was listing some stuff on eBay and decided to see what this "gold Super Nintendo controller" was worth.

The answer is "there is no gold Super Nintendo controller." Well, there is, the 1998 World Cup SNES sold in Brazil was gold and had a gold controller, but it was distinctly different from this one. So that rules out that.

The controller is definitely not spray-painted. It has the same model number as the regular gray SNES controllers. It's just... gold.

I am aware that SNES consoles yellow with age, in some cases they become almost gold-colored as the fire retardant chemicals leech out of the plastic. But I have never seen controllers suffer from this. None of the yellowed Super Nintendos I have seen over the years have been accompanied by yellowed controllers, at least not to this severity.

So what is this controller? Is it just yellowed with age? Why have I never seen another one like this? How come, when I Google yellowing SNES, I only get consoles? If this was common, wouldn't there be more pictures?

And, furthermore, why would it have already been solid gold by the time I bought it in 1998?

Or, if this an actual version of the SNES controller, where the heck is it from? I can't find any documentation of a controller this color, official or as a result of aging, and I am perplexed.

Can anybody shed some light on what this is?

RexNovis

Banned
Thats just the aging of the plastic. You can treat/wash the plastic with specific cleaning products to reduce it but it will never be old classic gray that the controller originally was when it released. Just think of it as the console version of wrinkles.

Anth0ny

That's the special, limited to 100 LTTP gold SNES controller. It's so rare that I've never even see it on eBay before.

JMTHEFOX

It has something to do with the plastic of the controller aging. So yes, its definitely discoloration from age.

Ecto311

it goes with this super rare snes

Daaaamn I feel lucky. I picked up a system from a gaffer here years ago and it is as white as the day it was new. I don't have power or controllers but damn if mine isn't amazing looking compared to this brown turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom