• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft movie has massively successful opening in China, bigger than Avengers Ultron

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not expected to do especially well domestically, but you'll probably get your trilogy anyway given Legendary was just bought by a Chinese company.

Variety said:
“Warcraft” is rocking the Chinese box office.

The video game adaptation grossed a massive $46 million on its opening day in the Middle Kingdom. That equals the best non-weekend launch in history, besting previous record-holder “Avengers: Age of Ultron’s” $28.3 million premiere. That number is only through 10 p.m. on Wednesday, so it could grow as late show results are tabulated. Some analysts believe that “Warcraft” could haul $150 million in its first five days of release in China.

It’s also been a boon to Imax. The wide screen company racked up a record $5.3 million in ticket sales, surpassing the previous high-water mark set by “Furious 7” with $4.7 million.

Legendary backed the film, which is facing fierce headwinds at the domestic box office and needs a lift from foreign audiences. It opens Friday in North America, where it’s projected to pull in $25 million, a weak result for a picture with an $160 million budget and tens of millions more spent on advertising. Universal is distributing the film in most of the world, save for China, where China Film Group and Huaxia are handling the rollout.

Overseas crowds appear to be more interested in the fantasy adventure. “Warcraft” has been screening in some foreign territories for nearly three weeks, making $75 million.

Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/warcraft-china-box-office-1201791346/

Update:

chinawowljs1c.png

neoemonk

Going on Sunday to see it here in the good ol' US of A and looking forward to it. I'm glad to see it's making money because I'm one of the fans that would like to see this become a trilogy.

_DiGiTaL_

I'm not shocked that Warcraft has a huge opening over there. People over there seriously put their blood sweat and tears into that game. People have known to have died playing that game there binge playing it.

Twookie

hell yeah gimme that sequal

also release that directors cut that has the 40 mins cut out of the regular version pls

Entropia

No One Remembers
Seeing it tonight! Beyond excited, I've been waiting for this for like 8 years now!!

Seems the RT score has gone up to 24%!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I do wonder how this movie will do worldwide as certain markets like China seem to eat up our big blockbusters without caring if they're good or bad. Maybe if it doesn't do so well in the US and has trouble getting a sequel off the ground Chinese group will come into coproduce nd finance one that just skips everything and goes straight to the Mists of Pandaria ;D

Logash

Going to watch it tonight with my brother and some friends. Played WoW for 8 years so I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. The general complaint seems to be that the pacing is super off but that is an issue that probably won't bother fans as much.

Also glad it's going to do well overall because I reaaaaaaaaaly want that trilogy.

I do wonder how this movie will do worldwide as certain markets like China seem to eat up our big blockbusters without caring if they're good or bad. Maybe if it doesn't do so well in the US and has trouble getting a sequel off the ground Chinese group will come into coproduce nd finance one that just skips everything and goes straight to the Mists of Pandaria ;D

The USA isn't the centre of the universe, if it does badly there it can easily make up for it in EU or far east. Warcraft is popular outside of the states so it's not like people are just wandering in to see it because it's a big budget movie and nothing else.

It seems like an OK movie that the studio cut too much, I'd like to see what Duncan Jones personal cut version is like and I'd also be keen on a sequel.

Outside of fans of the game, seems lot of people are saying it's "meh"

Yeah, which is fine, but the reviews made it sound like the worst thing in the world. Especially that first review that compared it to fucking Battlefield Earth lmao

I got no doubts it's not a good movie. It doesn't look good or sound good. But audience impressions seem so different?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The USA isn't the centre of the universe, if it does badly there it can easily make up for it in EU or far east. Warcraft is popular outside of the states so it's not like people are just wandering in to see it because it's a big budget movie and nothing else.

It seems like an OK movie that the studio cut too much, I'd like to see what Duncan Jones personal cut version is like and I'd also be keen on a sequel.

I realize that but the US is also the biggest market out there and the reason I brought up China as they are catching up quick in terms of ticket sales and even starting to put up money for movies. That and I wanted to make a Pandaria joke.

The general consensus I'm been hearing is that the hardcore fans will get something out of this movie. I've never played a Warcraft game but this movie has got my interest.

That's good to hear.

I want this to be good, for fans at the very least, including me. I am worried about seeing it atm but hoping for the best!

Dargor

Watched it already.

Its a good movie, fun and even if it does have several flaws (the ending was the worst in my opinion), it still is a good adaptation and sets a really great foundation for the next movies on the trilogy.

if they can work the mistakes, replace some of the actors, only Travis Fimmel (Lothar) was a good choice, this could really be the best movie adaptation of a game franchise ever (so far).

Yeah, which is fine, but the reviews made it sound like the worst thing in the world. Especially that first review that compared it to fucking Battlefield Earth lmao

I got no doubts it's not a good movie. It doesn't look good or sound good. But audience impressions seem so different?

IMHO, it is a good movie, it entertains and I say this comparing it to other movies, not to other video game movies. Compared to other video games movies this is oscar worthy lol.

It does have its flaws. As you watch it, it seems like there are stuff missing, its like the scenes don't tie thenselves together, almost like there was supposed to be something inbetween at times, but it does tell a story with a well defined beggining, middle and ending (if a really boring one lol). So yeah, a good, decent and easily watchable movie.

Watched it already.

Its a good movie, fun and even if it does have several flaws (the ending was the worst in my opinion), it still is a good adaptation and sets a really great foundation for the next movies on the trilogy.

if they can work the mistakes, replace some of the actors, only Travis Fimmel (Lothar) was a good choice, this could really be the best movie adaptation of a game franchise ever (so far).

Thanks for impressions, looking forward to watching :)

EGM1966

Would this be the first big budget film of its kind to do mediocre in western territories but do okay overall thanks primarily to China?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would this be the first big budget film of its kind to do mediocre in western territories but do okay overall thanks primarily to China?

It's having some reasonable performance in other overseas countries as well.

Need For Speed was actually pretty similar, and is getting a sequel due to it.

For non fans of the game, it's probably gonna seem horrible, this is a movie that probably will only have appeal to gamers, everyone else is going to be like "wtf"

Hagi

Haven't consumed a single piece of Warcraft media in my life before seeing this and absolutely loved it. Glad to see it's doing well because I really want sequels.

Griss

Looks absolutely dire, but
a) I'm happy for Jones, and
b) I genuinely believe a sequel could be much better, and hope we get one.

FeD.nL

Pacific Rim comes to mind. That film was saved by WW gross, and China played a big factor in it. Iirc the film did better in China than it did in the US.

edit: beaten

Berordn

Audience impressions will almost always be more positive than professional critics, since they're not the ones watching movies for a living and establishing a relationship with common fantasy and action tropes daily. Plus being a video game movie likely gives them no investment in the property or characters.

It's more to do with different expectations than anything.

Watched it already.

IMHO, it is a good movie, it entertains and I say this comparing it to other movies, not to other video game movies. Compared to other video games movies this is oscar worthy lol.

It does have its flaws. As you watch it, it seems like there are stuff missing, its like the scenes don't tie thenselves together, almost like there was supposed to be something inbetween at times, but it does tell a story with a well defined beggining, middle and ending (if a really boring one lol). So yeah, a good, decent and easily watchable movie.

I'm sure I read that Duncan Jones cut of the film is about 35 or 40 minutes longer than this final cut and that the studio wanted it down to under 2 hours for easier consumption by the general public.

It would be interesting to see both versions.

Pilgrimzero

So how did they cater to the Chinese market in this film?

Does Tony... I mean Lothar suddenly need emergency surgery and they fly him (via griffon) to the top Pandarian doctors?

Or perhaps half the film and the final battle take place in Pandaria? Where the Decepti.. I mean Orcs stage their massive assault?

Bulzeeb

Not at all, actually. John Boyega was just announced to star in it 3 days ago. It's being directed by Steven S. DeKnight and is a Chinese co-production with Legendary Pictures.

whoa, thats the best movies news I read this week, lets hope this time is for real

Artdayne

I always suspected Warcraft would do well in China and I'm glad that's the case. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like 40 minutes were cut from the film mostly due to budget constraints. Apparently an extended edition is looking like a real possibility so I'm interested to see how much better that is than the theatrical version.

So how did they cater to the Chinese market in this film?

Does Tony... I mean Lothar suddenly need emergency surgery and they fly him (via griffon) to the top Pandarian doctors?

Or perhaps half the film and the final battle take place in Pandaria? Where the Decepti.. I mean Orcs stage their massive assault?

China really loves Warcraft and WoW. It's one of Blizzard's biggest markets.

Top Bottom