• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"No Truce With The Furies" now called "Disco Elysium" - Isometric "modern-retro sci-fi" RPG, 2017, PC

Been following this for a few months, devs finally released official screenshots and info. I love the look and the world-building they're going for.

11erYQi.jpg

http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/press-kit/
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52246.0

"No Truce With The Furies" is a short form isometric role-playing game set in a fictional mid-20th century world. You explore Martinaise, a coastal district of the Revachol metropolitan area where some decades before a failed revolution dethroned the Monarchy, but left the city and its people susceptible to the self-serving influence of the international community and free-market capitalism.

The game is set in a time of cold war in a world that never was. Replace the futuristic science elements in sci-fi with modernity and you get.... Modernopunk? A world of Bauhaus and Dada, neo-grotesk fonts and transistors, communists and fascists and boring old democracies. Off the coast you can occasionally spot airbound coalition warships keeping the peace. They are kept afloat with magnetic levitation. Further beyond the horizon there is the Pale that divides the continents.

6KIBXmW.jpg

4) WHAT ABOUT COMBAT? DOES IT HAVE COMBAT?
NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has violent confrontations at set-piece moments. These are handled within the dialogue system. You can call it heavily scripted turn based combat, if you want to.

There is no real time with pause or traditional turn based combat in the game. We still have hit rolls. We have armour, lives, weapons etc. And you can die. But the action sequences are literature heavy showdowns. You can also lose these showdowns (given that you didn’t die) and the game registers it. You’re free to limp out of there and try a different approach.

exvcODc.jpg

hvWNtJW.jpg

cmonN94.jpg

DocSeuss

Heck wow in terms of art/aesthetic/ideas.

Not sure I like the idea of combat only existing within dialogue. What do you do otherwise, just walk around and talk to people?

The gameplay sounds like a gamebook. Or Age of Decadence with the tactical combat ripped out.
They do comment on that.
5) IT’S A CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE THEN!

It’s a role playing game. We have 24 skills under 4 stats. You can develop minute character traits and carry them from conversation to conversation. There is a large degree of freedom in the order you approach the world.

In the parts of the game that are finished, we really believe we have achieved an incredible degree of cause and effect.

Not sure I like the idea of combat only existing within dialogue. What do you do otherwise, just walk around and talk to people?
Sounds like they're combining interactive fiction and RPG skill checks with gameplay. So like in the screenshot, you'd have guys at gunpoint, and your actions and dialogue would affect how that scenario would play out. Skills, weapons, etc. would affect what you can do and how you can approach situations.

Arulan

I'm surprised I haven't heard of it. Thanks for posting.

It looks interesting.

large.jpg

;)

I certainly don't mind them trying something a little different.

I expected to see a game in the same style as the original Postal/ Hatred where you run around in an isometric map slaughtering furries while spouting off mundane one liners.

But this looks interesting, anyway.

Finaj

I thought it was "No Truce with the Furries" and expected a game about going to war with people in fur suits.

But I like this.

Altazor

oh my, that looks damn good.

Gotta love the Isometric Renaissance of the last couple of years. BRING THEM ON, we need more Isometric games.

Kinda reminds me of one of those minimalist RPG systems where all conflict, no matter what nature, is resolved with the same rules.
Actually the way they describe it, reminds me of the scrappy encounters in NEO Scavenger

vjNcPIO.jpg

So in that game, it's turn-based, usually against just one or two people, but your actions are dependent on your location and distance from enemies. So you can hide, or flee, or threaten, or bluff with an empty gun, or try to tackle, or surrender, etc.

This sounds a bit like that. Smaller-scale, more intimate confrontations where the pace of the scenario are dependent on your inventory and actions and how you talk and react.

3x0VRrl.jpg

In the confrontation screenshot, you have one person at gunpoint, and have a partner who has a gun on the other guy. And you're being really aggressive, and can shoot a shot next to his head or threaten him to "speak now"

Jamaro85

This looks pretty damn cool. And I'm not sure if this is actually anything innovative but it sounds nice: "The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting." I am kinda digging the visual design though.

This looks pretty damn cool. And I'm not sure if this is actually anything innovative but it sounds nice: "The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting." I am kinda digging the visual design though.
Seems legit

YjdKp4h.gif

Kvik

I'm still not sold on the idea of a dialogue-based combat. From my point of view it looks like an expanded stat-check. How about positioning in a regular turn-based combat, for example? This strategy element could effectively be eliminated. (unless there is a dialog option: [Hide behind crates (+5 Defense)] , for example)

That title is badass (hahaha)

It's so weird when you can relate a video game hero in so many ways (being a failure of a man..)

Hope someone decent picks this up.

Looks interesting. I shall pick this game up whenever.

aravuus

I thought that said Furries but this looks cool too.

Thank fucking god it didn't say furries lol. Clicked the thread hoping it wasn't a typo and, thankfully, it wasn't.

The combat system sounds really cool, I just hope you'll actually have a shitton of different ways to approach every conflict. Will definitely keep an eye on this one.

Faynwulf

Oh my.. this looks like it might be right up my alley. The comparisons with Neo Scavenger in this thread make this much more interesting too.

The artstyle kinda reminds me of Dishonored. I can't be the only one who's thinking that, right?

Lanrutcon

Came for the furries.

Left disappointed.

The writeup on this at the Codex is effing hilarious. Good show..

StuKen

Oh, furies.

I thought that said Furries but this looks cool too.

This looks really good, that name though.

I'm so sleepy that I read Furries too.

I thought it was "No Truce with the Furries" and expected a game about going to war with people in fur suits.

But I like this.

I think 99% of us read it as furries.

Not to many fans of late 20th century Welsh poetry here. It's named after a collection of poems by R. S. Thomas.

Reflections

The furies are at home in the mirror; it is their address.
Even the clearest water, if deep enough can drown.
Never think to surprise them. Your face approaching ever so friendly is the white flag they ignore.
There is no truce the furies. A mirror's temperature is always at zero. Its camera is an X-ray. It is a chalice held out to you in silent communion, where gaspingly you partake of a shifting identity never your own.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Legit impressed at the art. That level of shading in 2D is practically unheard of.

Hektor

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES is a story-driven isometric role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.

This sounds unironically amazing. I've alway been fond of games in which you didn't played a Hero or Anti-Hero, and a normal human beeing or even a total loser instead.

Looks very promising to say the least.

Erheller

This game looks great already. The setting, artwork, and take on interactive fiction all look fantastic. I just hope the writing gets a little more polished.

Not to many fans of late 20th century Welsh poetry here. It's named after a collection of poems by R. S. Thomas.

I'm familiar with the poem and I still read it as furries :/

Top Bottom