• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thirty awesome iOS/Android games to watch out for in 2017

I'm also working on a list of 2016's recommended releases, but in the meantime, here's a list of some of the most interesting and exciting games and ports coming to mobile in 2017

===

Antioch
Antioch is a multiplayer adventure. You’ll play as two detectives working together to solve an gruesome murder in the shadowy neo-noir city of Antioch. Because it's a two-player cooperative adventure, we believe that Antioch is like no other game in the genre. There is more depth to your dialogue choices and gameplay decisions because you’re playing with another human being.
kOMZtD9.png
bmPr90M.jpg

Ashworld
A Mad Max-inspired open-world game, mixing driving, shooting, and platforming into one big action adventure type thingie!
ragelaw_thingslearned.png
OVCRmS6.png

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Universal binary (buy it once, and download for free on iPad or vice verse)- iCloud save support, upload and download your save data between devices- MFi controller support–Apple’s licensed bluetooth iOS standard (also compatible with Apple TV- Landscape and portrait orientations- A bunch of other little features to make the iOS experience good.
CyZj5UXUAAAK0Qi.jpg
CxR77WkW8AAVD4V.jpg

Blossom Tales
Blossom Tales is a refreshing combination of classic Action-RPG gameplay and modern design. Players can expect a one-of-a-kind experience as they explore hand-crafted dungeons that cleverly combine pre-designed layouts and randomized areas, all while using the handy target-lock system to take out specific enemies, lock onto a boss’ weak spot, and interact with puzzle elements and game world objects.
6b.png
8b.png

Card Thief
Card Thief is a solitaire style medieval stealth game played with a deck of cards.
shadow2.gif
giphy.gif

Chroma Squad
Chroma Squad is a tactical RPG about five stunt actors who decide to quit their jobs and start their own Power Rangers-inspired TV show!
CSQ_00_22-04-2015.jpg
CSQ_02_22-04-2015.jpg

Chuchel
The next adventure game from Amanita Design (Machinarium, Botanicula, Samorost)
chuchel1.jpg
yPabaiHl.png

Cosmic Express
A puzzle game about planning the train route for the world's most awkward space colony, born of a collaboration between the team that created A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build and an artist from the French collective, Klondike.
Cosmic%20Express%20GIF%202.gif
Cosmic%20Express%20Screenshot%202.png

Cube Snake
Journey your way through a puzzling world as a snake made entirely of cubes. Scales heights and delve into the unknown as you make your way solving puzzles in an effort to save your family.
lava.gif
desert.gif

Dandara
Explore an abstract world, where the imaginary is tangible to solve a war that's clearly bigger than you.
Dandara is a metroidvania game designed for touchscreens, giving you fast paced battles and exploration that feels natural on mobile.
3o7TKDgz03Dq4naMaQ.gif
3o6gDU4GUOefYeEIPm.gif

Death Road to Canada
Death Road to Canada is a Randomly Generated Road Trip Simulator. You control and manage a car full of jerks as they explore cities, recruit weird people, argue with each other, and face gigantic swarms of slow zombies.
ss_50507cb2bab17be0512f53802aa4570123a26219.600x338.jpg
ss_a0420c3949dd195dc9276981a47cc3c76db3c95f.600x338.jpg

Duelyst Mobile
DUELYST is the ultimate collectible tactics game.
Head-to-head matches last between five and ten minutes, and focus on thoughtful decision-making and strategic positioning. Players are rewarded with new battle units every monthly season.
Assemble your battle deck from over 400 cards across 6 unique Factions and test your mettle against other players online in ranked season ladder and draft mode tournaments.
screen-3.jpg
screen-1.jpg

Euclidean Lands
Euclidean Lands is an adventurous expedition through a mysterious world of mind-blowing geometry.
tumblr_oedw3c9hTn1tm3rwbo1_500.gif
tumblr_oiulfiUGv71tm3rwbo1_500.gif

forma.8
Uncover the secrets of a mysterious alien planet in this open world metroidvania adventure, where nothing is what it seems…
Accidentally stranded during a crucial mission, the forma.8 probe will need to survive and accomplish the unthinkable.
What really happened on this planet?
7.jpg
11.jpg

Framed 2
The prequel to the multi-award winning game FRAMED. FRAMED 2 is about exploring the features of FRAMED in new contexts.
LdR6As2.png
p2YiO5X.png

Fugl
Experience life as a voxel bird in an endless voxel world.
Meet interesting animals along the way. Enjoy life and all the pretty colors.
CkmSlROXIAAVjVL.png
fGX2Zxi.gif

GNOG
GNOG is a wondrous journey through a universe of playfully interactive monster heads. Explore a myriad of unique interconnected heads and the worlds they carry within, as you try to decipher each one's quirks and advance to the next. Interact with the outside to change the inside and vice versa to reveal the exit!
GNOG-screenshot3.png
GNOG-screenshot2.png

Hidden Folks
A game like Where’s Waldo?, but black & white, animated, and interactive: find folks in tiny landscapes, lifting doors, pressing buttons, shaking trees, and popping balloons.
HiddenFolks-Farming.png
HiddenFolks-FactoryPuzzle.png

Impossible Bottles
Impossible Bottles is an imaginative premium mobile game.
You guide a genius inventor on his quest to fix his incredible machines and provide an endless energy source to the world by solving brain tickling puzzles.
ib-robot.gif
ib-mamakilla.gif

Milkmaid of the Milky Way
A 90s style puzzle adventure game in rhyme!
Set in a faraway fjord in 1920's Norway, You play a young milkmaid, Ruth, who lives on a remote farm with her cows after her parents passed. Life is tough and the dairy business is not going so well, and when mysterious things start happening around the farm things get even more difficult. And then one day a giant, golden ship descends from the sky - sending Ruth out on a journey that will help her find her true place in the universe.
6Xe6GSx.jpg
ss_baa4e905067c84d2d75585a600a20a13d9fa750a.1920x1080.jpg

Morphite
Morphite focuses on exploration and story, with tons of planets to explore and items to find and upgrade.
CzUWovJWQAAA8Z0.jpg
Cv7ysOlWEAAnafs.jpg

Neo Scavenger
NEO Scavenger is a game where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn, you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter.
ss_f72c7858ecc10a74598c6fa198203e75dd65db05.1920x1080.jpg
ss_053c8fef9dfc9550d642c1ab9cedb5e0592dca66.1920x1080.jpg

Night Call
Night Call is a new kind of narrative and noire game taking place in Paris, France.
You are a taxi driver. Paris is your city and you know every corner of it. Everything changes when the police reveals that the recent murders shattering your city are connected. The victims were all clients of your taxi company. Because you are the last person to see the most recent victim alive...
Using the real city map and the intimacy a taxi can offer, players will meet numerous and unique passengers to talk with. Some of them know things about the killer, others pretend to know things, and some just need to talk to someone.
nc_ingame01_pr.png
nc_postcard02_pr.png

Noblemen: 1896
Noblemen takes place in an alternate reality late 19th century, with a mix between early WWI, American civil war, and a dash of steampunk technology. The game consists of 2 main parts: a large scale strategic overworld, and 3rd person, cover based battles.
CxkYmkKW8AQ3_w0.png
CzVAuHTXUAQYPcG.png

Sigma Theory
Sigma Theory is a turn-based strategy game about spying and diplomacy. After mankind makes its greatest ever scientific discovery, the world's superpowers compete with each other to develop new technology. Your government places you at the head of an intelligence agency with a single directive: to win this silent war by any means necessary.
04.png
01.png

Slayaway Camp
Slayaway Camp is a killer puzzle game in which the player controls Skullface, a psychotic slasher bent on revenge. The adorable murderer slides around colourful isometric puzzle designs decapitating, squashing, and perforating blocky teenaged victims.
05.jpg
11.jpg

Stasis
STASIS is a point-and-click, sci-fi, horror adventure game played from a unique isometric perspective. STASIS intertwines a gruesome narrative with retro adventure gameplay. Combine items, interact with computers and solve puzzles while experiencing the gritty atmosphere.
7.jpg
3.jpg

Strike Team
A XCOM-style, tactical RPG built on the Demon's Rise engine. It features a full RPG experience combined with tactical cover, morale, pinning and action points.
30955425150_faa21d26cf_c.jpg
22830638928_a58db3b16d_c.jpg

Thimbleweed Park
Play and switch between all five characters as you explore the vast, strange, and manipulative world of Thimbleweed Park while unraveling a dark and humorous neo-noir mystery. A cursed clown, a bitter heiress, and the ghost of pillow salesmen join the story and add their own complications
ThimbleweedParkKeyArtMay2016.png
happy_bathroom1.png

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is a tabletop adventure come to life! This fantasy solo RPG combines unique, simultaneous turn-based combat with a journey that changes based on each figurine you take into Firetop Mountain! Which hero will you take into Zagor's lair THIS time?
b1gdmrt.gif
ss_4430f1cf82c91b58234457725a8a16388e68c464.1920x1080.jpg

Euclidean lands, Duelyst mobile, Binding of isaac, Dandara and Card Thief all look pretty dope.

I will be obsessed with Duelyst when it comes.
Great thread btw.

Chucel should be on peoples radar's, anything from Amanita games is gold.

Also, didn't know Chroma Squad was finally being ported

Pachimari

If you are looking for a racing game, then Street Kart should be one to watch. It is the absolute most ambitious racing game for mobile, and of what I have played of the beta it already plays great. The developer is also very forthcoming and listens to feedback actively.

Other ones to watch are Fugl (which in Scandinavian means Bird) and is also a pretty ambitious project, that will aim to give you a wildlife with nice animations for each animal you will encounter on your journey. A third beta I am currently testing is Hidden Folks, which is a Where's Waldo game, that really tests your eyes and comes with nicely recorded sound effects.

[edit] I see Fugl and Hidden Folks are already mentioned in the OP. Nice list by the way.

Ourobolus

Banned
If Stardew Valley ever comes to mobile I will probably lose a couple hundred more hours into it...

Really wish there was something similar (and decent) on iOS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Because some people were wondering whether stuff was coming to Android or just iOS, I checked all the linked websites. Below are the platforms listed in the websites. Doesn't mean they aren't releasing on additional platforms, just that's what I was able to validate immediately:

Antioch - iOS/Android
Ashworld - PC and Mobile
Binding of Isaac Rebirth - iOS late port (game is on PC/consoles already)
Card Thief - Mobile
Chroma Squad - PC/iOS?
Cosmic Express - iOS/Android
Cube Snake - iOS/Android
Dandara - "Designed for touchscreens"
Death Road to Canada - PC, iOS, "possibly other platforms"
Duelyst - PC
Euclidean Lands - iOS
Forma.8 - PS4, Vita, "Wii U", Xbox One, iOS, PC
Fugl - VR/PC/iOS/Android
Gnog - PS4 VR, Steam, iOS
Hidden Folks - iOS, PC, Apple TV
Impossible Bottles - PC, iOS, Android
Milkmaid of the Milky Way - PC, iOS
Morphite - "mobile devices"
Neo Scavenger - PC
Night Call - PC, iOS, Android
Noblemen 1896 - At least iOS
Sigma Theory - PC, iOS, Android
Slayaway Camp - PC, iOS, Android
Stasis - PC
Strike Team - At least iOS
Thimbleweed Park - PC, Xbox One, iOS, Android
Warlock of Firetop Mountain - PC, past games from same dev are iOS and Android

friz898

I wouldn't get my hopes up, unfortunately

What have you heard/read?

Last I heard, I think was November, they were saying (indirectly?) they were going to focus on it for tablets. I even didn't buy it for pc/ps4 because I'd much rather own it on my tablet. You're playing with my heart here!

Shizuka

Because some people were wondering whether stuff was coming to Android or just iOS, I checked all the linked websites. Below are the platforms listed in the websites. Doesn't mean they aren't releasing on additional platforms, just that's what I was able to validate immediately:

Antioch - iOS/Android
Ashworld - PC and Mobile
Card Thief - Mobile
Chroma Squad - PC/iOS?
Cube Snake - iOS/Android
Duelyst - PC
Euclidean Lands - iOS
Fugl - VR/PC/iOS/Android
Neo Scavenger - PC
Stasis - PC

Chroma Squad is PS4/XONE/Vita as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for this thread. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the year.

Having to list something as a premium mobile game is a sad state of affairs for that chunk of the medium. Still, based off the art demonstrated in those screenshots, I'm interested in a few of them. If they're not riddled with a lack of depth, challenge, or generally bereft of valuable content worth my time like most mobile games, I'm out on them once again.

Duelyst though, from what I've heard on the Daft Souls podcast, sounds awesome. Super down.

Antioch - iOS/Android
Ashworld - PC and Mobile
Card Thief - Mobile
Chroma Squad - PC/iOS?
Cube Snake - iOS/Android
Duelyst - PC
Euclidean Lands - iOS
Fugl - VR/PC/iOS/Android
Neo Scavenger - PC
Stasis - PC
Thanks for the back-up. New Years and all, didn't get to do this

Neo Scavenger and Stasis are both confirmed for iPad. Neo dev has been working on the mobile version all year, and Stasis dev talked about working on the iPad version earlier in 2016 and said they were going to focus on it more once Cayne is out.

Warlock devs shared a screenshot of the tablet build of the game earlier this week

RoKKeR

Man, Monument Valley really left its mark, didn't it? Saw a few games in there that clearly draw inspiration from it.

Man, Monument Valley really left its mark, didn't it? Saw a few games in there that clearly draw inspiration from it.
I thought the same thing. Man that was quite a game. I'm glad that more mobile games aren't afraid to go the premium route over the f2p model.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So many stellar looking titles! Thanks for posting them all up here. I really want to play with that impossible bottle one ever since I saw screens in edge magazine.

NEO Scavenger is one of my favorite RPGs of the last five years. It's smart, has a combat system that's skill-testing and thematic, and it really is not afraid to kill you for the slightest mistake. Permadeath and restarting isn't bad because the crazy RNG involved in the early game makes each journey play out differently even if the main steps involved are generally the same.

GSR

I believe Level-5's Lady Layton is slated for 2017 worldwide and is going to be on iOS/Android as well as 3DS.

iggynore

Neo Member
Looking forward to Card Thief, Cosmic Express, Duelyst, Impossible Bottles, and pretty much all the others. This is a stunning selection!! Competition is TOUGH. Which is so good for the players, and push the devs always further.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Great list MB. There are a bunch on there I'd never heard of that I'm now really looking forward to, hopefully we see them sooner rather than later!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I always love More_Badass threads for drawing my attention to unique gaming experiences. Some of these games look amazing.

Moreche

I really wish my Apple TV4 had more games on it. I'm loving that Framed plays on it and was a one-time purchase that plays on my Pro and iPhone 7 Plus.
Does Apple not see how successful ATV4 would be if most of my iOS games would also work on my Apple TV?
It's extremely frustrating because I'm sure they know it but do nothing about it. I now play games solely on my Pro and iPhone as I've given up on consoles altogether so get your finger out Apple.
Edit: Well done to this thread because I find the upcoming mobile games far more enticing than most upcoming console games.

I really wish my Apple TV4 had more games on it. I'm loving that Framed plays on it and was a one-time purchase that plays on my Pro and iPhone 7 Plus.

Agreed. It does get a steady trickle of games, but not enough.

I would love to put together a thread on great games already on Apple TV.

Voidance

Great list, MB. Iron Marines from Ironhide Games is another game I'm looking forward to in 2017; I'm sure it'll have that Kingdom Rush magic!

psyfi

Banned
Cool thread! Card Thief and Dandara are the stand out ones to me, and I'm REALLY stoked to see Duelyst coming to mobile finally. Fugl looks fantastic too, but man that name is awful.

Top Bottom