• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki has something to say about the PS3 and 360

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While speaking about PS3, how is the development apprehended on this machine?

Very well, the development on this console is really easy. On the other hand, one has less of flexibility than on Xbox 360. I do not want to return in the technical details, but I would say that the PS3 is an “obstinate” console. If one wants to obtain good results, one is obliged to cheat much more than on 360, who it can work oneself like a PC. It is possible to work there directly in bond with Windows. The PS3 has a Japanese OS, therefore different of Windows! In more our Japanese engineers do not want to yield vis-a-vis the power of Microsoft, we have this competitive spirit to create different interfaces, to symbolize our different culture thus. But I do not think that the PS3 or the 360 is better one than the other. PlayStation 3 is a little more powerful, but as can be to it a console which leaves one year after another. They have both of qualities and the inherent defects. PlayStation 3 is “obstinate”, but I am it also, therefore finally it is not awkward! (laughter) the true gross difference here, they is that the PS3 is Japanese, therefore the Japanese prefer the PS3 generally.

More can be found here without translation.

http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000051337/

Can somebody please translate the rest of the article?

Thanks to PSINEXT.

Close if old.

Elios83

Itagaki said:
Very well, the development on this console is really easy

:lol :D Looking forward to the inevitable "I have maxed out PS3 with Ninja Gaiden Sigma (even if I'm not working on it) as I did with X360 with DOAX2" in the next interview :lol :lol

Dahbomb

Confirmation of NG2 on PS3? It seems Itagaki has changed his original stance on the PS3 v.s. Xbox360 debate.

And what the hell does he mean by "cheating" on the PS3 hardware to achieve optimium result? How the hell does one "cheat" in game making? :lol

Dahbomb said:
Confirmation of NG2 on PS3? It seems Itagaki has changed his original stance on the PS3 v.s. Xbox360 debate.

And what the hell does he mean by "cheating" on the PS3 hardware to achieve optimium result? How the hell does one "cheat" in game making? :lol

Well I consider EA's general developement process cheating :)

Grifter

Dahbomb said:

The same way one "cheats" in any type of programming.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So it's gone from I develop for the most powerful hardware to... what I really meant to say is just prefer the PC/Windows development environment?

Elios83 said:
:lol :D Looking forward to the inevitable "I have maxed out PS3 with Ninja Gaiden Sigma (even if I'm not working on it) as I did with X360 with DOAX2" in the next interview :lol :lol

Yah it was disappointing to see the PS2 maxed out so early on with DoA2 Hardcore. :)

raYne

Doom_Bringer said:
too bad neither of them can handle Crysis! Next gen am rosebudded
It really isn't possible for you (whichever one of you it is) not to bring up someting totally unrelated to a thread is it?

rage1973

The most important message was that generally the Japanese are xenophobic and they do not support Xbox because it is an American company.

Doom_Bringer said:
too bad neither of them can handle Crysis! Next gen am rosebudded

doom.gif

n0b

I like how you can see his opinion on playstation slowly change in each interview, he went from xbox only, to 'PS3 is fine but I'm not going to do anything with it, thats another team,' and now "PS3 has piqued my interest" and "is a bit more powerful then the 360."

Dahbomb said:
I think he means its more like traditional console development, where the programmers use tricks and special techniques to get every last bit of power out of the machine, instead of like programming for PCs(Which it seems like he's saying X360 is like.) A good example of "cheating" would be Shadow of the Colossus, if you read the article on the tech you would see a lot of the tricks they use to get the most out of the ps2.

Dahbomb said:

Cheating, or "hacks" as they are more affably referred to in the development community, is a way to do something that may not be specified in a software library or done in hardware automatically. Basically, flexible CPUs afford more "cheating/hacking" capability. By using hacks, you can pretty much do anything in software or use hardware in a way in which it originally wasn't intended to be used. This is how the PS2 was able to do things later in its life that no one thought possible given the hardware limitations.

Moderation Unlimited said:
Cheating, or "hacks" as they are more affably referred to in the development community, is a way to do something that may not be specified in a software library or done in hardware automatically. Basically, flexible CPUs afford more "cheating/hacking" capability. By using hacks, you can pretty much do anything in software or use hardware in a way in which originally wasn't intended to be used. This is how the PS2 was able to do things later in its life that no one thought possible given the hardware limitations.

Basically you get creative with the hardware. "Cheating" or "hacks" really seems to give off a negative connotation when it's really the opposite in game making when it's all said and done.

Mac the KNife said:
So he likes PS3? And Xbox 360?
No. He just realizes that his caviar diet and sports car fettish will be satiated largely through NG: Sigma for the PS3 and NG2 for the X360.

It's called politics.

mckmas8808

rage1973 said:
The most important message was that generally the Japanese are xenophobic and they do not support Xbox because it is an American company.

What the hell does xenophoblic mean? Where did it come from? Xeno?

mckmas8808 said:
I think xenophobic is a term for hating anything that isn't from your home country, like how Japanese people stereotypically reject non-Japanese people.

I don't buy that argument, though. The iPod is outselling whatever Sony is selling over there, anyways.

rage1973 said:

Its not about being Xenophobic. Japanese consumers (developers in this case) will support an "outsider"'s product if it appeals to them (ex: Apple's iPod).

Everything i've read about Japanese game development says programmers over there prefer to build everything from the ground up, rather than using tools and middleware.

Xbox360 is heavily tied to MS' Direct-X API and XNA.

PS3 has tools and middleware to be sure, but real rewards come from going "down to the metal".

Its much more a difference in work philosophy rather than Xenophobia, which is just a nice way of saying "Racist".

<nu>faust

mckmas8808 said:
Greek words &#958;&#941;&#957;&#959;&#962; (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and &#966;&#972;&#946;&#959;&#962; (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe fear or dislike of foreigners or in general of people different from one's self.

rage1973

Moderation Unlimited said:
It means scared of "white/Western" culture

xeno = white
Wrong.

xenophobia
Pronunciation[zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-] Pronunciation Key

–noun an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

Pug

sugarhigh4242, the 360 is more open to getting to metal (on the gpu side for sure) as you put it than the PS3, there has been many discussions regarding this over at Beyond 3d from PS3 developers themselves!

mckmas8808

<nu>faust said:
Greek words &#958;&#941;&#957;&#959;&#962; (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and &#966;&#972;&#946;&#959;&#962; (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe fear or dislike of foreigners or in general of people different from one's self.

Oh thanks.

Aisenherz

Banned
While speaking about PS3, how is the development apprehended on this machine?

Very well, the development on this console is really easy. On the other hand, one has less of flexibility than on Xbox 360. I do not want to return in the technical details, but I would say that the PS3 is an “obstinate” console. If one wants to obtain good results, one is obliged to cheat much more than on 360, who it can work oneself like a PC. It is possible to work there directly in bond with Windows. The PS3 has a Japanese OS, therefore different of Windows! In more our Japanese engineers do not want to yield vis-a-vis the power of Microsoft, we have this competitive spirit to create different interfaces, to symbolize our different culture thus. But I do not think that the PS3 or the 360 is better one than the other. PlayStation 3 is a little more powerful, but as can be to it a console which leaves one year after another. They have both of qualities and the inherent defects. PlayStation 3 is “obstinate”, but I am it also, therefore finally it is not awkward! (laughter) the true gross difference here, they is that the PS3 is Japanese, therefore the Japanese prefer the PS3 generally.
And when HE says, the PS3 is a a little bit more powerfull, YOU KNOW IT IS MOOOOORE POWERFULL ;-)

rage1973 said:
Wrong.

xenophobia
Pronunciation[zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-] Pronunciation Key

–noun an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

Well, not really wrong in this context...only wrong about the specificity of the derrivation of "xeno".

JMPovoa

After reading this i'm actually convinced that most multiplatform development teams would rather start development for the Xbox360 than the opposite.

Rayne.S

Banned
Mark Gonzales said:
No he always likes the more powerful console more ;)

Well, he states its difficult to say which one is more powerfull than the other so he likes both equally. Now bring Ninja Gaiden 2 to PS3 Itagaki !

PleoMax

Banned
So he states something everything knows already, and that carmacks and others alike have already stated, the Ps3 is a little more powerfull. Cool, confetti everywhere and shit, now to the stuff that matters:

Ninja Gaiden 2 ASAP or else Itagaki....i will turn you into a ninja bitch!

Norse

from gamespot rumors article.

The official story: Tecmo reps did not respond to requests for comment. However, Itagaki himself professed his Xbox 360 loyalty in an interview on GameTrailers.com, in which he talked about how he has little to do with Sigma, which is being produced by his Team Ninja associate Yousuke Hayashi.

"People who are supporters of Xbox should view this as a good thing," he said. "What I've done is pass the baton over to someone else. I can focus even more of my attention on making new games for the Xbox 360. ... My home base is the Xbox 360, and I'm going to continue to make games [for it] at the same pace, if not faster."

As for which games, Itagaki would only say that after he finishes Dead or Alive Xtreme 2, "my next game is going to be what everyone's expecting."

Itagaki is staying with 360...awe yeah!

Dahbomb

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Basically you get creative with the hardware. "Cheating" or "hacks" really seems to give off a negative connotation when it's really the opposite in game making when it's all said and done.
That's exactly what I got out from it. I mean I respect the developers of SOTC very highly for being able to achieve what they did on the PS2. Do I consider them cheats for doing so? Certainly not.

If a developer has to "cheat" to bring one of the best experiences on next-gen consoles, then I will follow. :)

Top Bottom