• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

celebi23

aYVy8zU.jpg

I0t2rPP.png

2bvqZgn.png

• Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: Moscone West - San Franciso California
  • Dates: June 13th thru June 17th, 2016
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops, Stump the Experts, WWDC Bash, Lunchtime Speakers
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iOS, macOS and watchOS.

wgGGI4P.png

Ld6BWRv.png

aqU6qiz.png

Like the last few Apple events, they will be broadcasting it live. It will also be available to watch again on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended. The places that you can watch the video (again a few hours after the keynote has ended):
Text/Photos

(If you find other live blogs, please feel free to post the urls)

WWDC App:

dY5tneg.png

CKJzisn.png

5BsGO1Z.png

• Will be updated after the keynote has finished

TuqOEvY.png

Special thanks to Andrex for the header images!

x7hEhc7.png

Not expecting hardware, and every new release of OS X has only made stuff more needlessly complicated for me (Photos replacing iPhoto, Continuity being a total mess, iTunes becoming...whatever it is now).

Perched anyway in case the scuttlebutt about no Pros until the fall are false.

Currently loving Android still, but I am interested to see how iOS 10 improves upon things, the changes to tvOS, and the iTunes/Music changes.

Also iMessage for Android please.

saltypickles

Neo Member
Interested to see if the Apple Music redesign rumors are real. I love the service but the menus are really clunky and I can't add playlists from curators anymore.

Daria

I would legitimately be excited if cross-platform or a web version of iMessage is revealed. That's really all I'm asking for and a redesign of iOS 10 somehow.

New hardware in the fall anyway

Two Words

They need to make a reduced capability mode that makes older iPhones not run like ass with these iOS updates. Sacrificing some features for a usable phone would be welcomed.

Daria

They need to make a reduced capability mode that makes older iPhones not run like ass with these iOS updates. Sacrificing some features for a usable phone would be welcomed.

You always have the option of not installing the latest OS. Every component has a limit on what it can and there's a reason they do not force OS updates on you a la Microsoft.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You always have the option of not installing the latest OS. Every component has a limit on what it can and there's a reason they do not force OS updates on you a la Microsoft.

hope you never need to restore your OS though since apple stops signing the old OSes pretty frequently~

celebi23

I would legitimately be excited if cross-platform or a web version of iMessage is revealed. That's really all I'm asking for and a redesign of iOS 10 somehow.

Same here. I'm the one person in my family without an iPhone & having this would be great :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I want (optional) iCloud syncing of Messages and all attachments. Here's how it would work for SMS/MMS: Message comes in to phone via carrier > Message is synced to iCloud database > Message is then synced down to all other devices like it is now except that it stays on the cloud and is resynced. All changes made to the Messages database on any device will be reflected on all devices. So instead of having a fragmented Messages database on all devices, it'll always be the same. Also deleting a thread would put the thread in the trash like Photos and Notes already do. Maybe deleted single messages could too but entire threads would be good enough. (Just to prevent accidental deletion of a thread when you meant to just delete the selected messages.)

Optional of course. Encrypted of course. Not on by default of course, but when enabled it will ask you if you want to replace all message databases on all devices with the one on your iPhone or if you want to merge them all. (Which could bring back messages you thought were deleted but happened to still be on your iPad or something) Then from then on it'd sync them as they come in.

Also an iCloud.com version and an Android app. (At the very least, iCloud.com/Messages.app.)

This is all I want. Messages everywhere. Messages unified. Text Messaging of the future.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iMessages on Android would be incredible.
Depends on how integrated it is.

Will it only work as an iPhone friend messenger where you only get blue people?

Or would it be so integrated and plugged into the underlying SMS system where it allows you to also view all your green people and also automatically send a message as SMS when iMessage is down?

If only Apple could just work with Google. Seeing as they're like the only competitor left anyone cares about anyway, they should say "We need to change SMS and it can't happen without both of us working together. Here's the base for a good system. Let's make it happen."

It wouldn't happen. But it would be pretty historical if it did. Apple and Google working together again to fix an outdated broken system that doesn't require people to download a new app to get modern features like unlimited character limits, uncompressed attachments and video and audio messages. Like most other texting apps can do these days.

Hopefully this is the year Apple finally makes the betas available to the public. If not, I hope someone else picks up for IMZDL.

ethomaz

Banned
We will make comments from the event in this thread???

I'm excited for a new MBP and a better Xcode please.

Going to be attending for the first time this year. Anyone else on GAF going?

I thought about heading to Cup to see it with all the other people, but decided against it. AppleTV in my home is good enough for me

I'll go down next event

Hopefully this is the year Apple finally makes the betas available to the public. If not, I hope someone else picks up for IMZDL.

Yosemite and El Cap and iOS 9 had public betas

Mortemis

Banned
As I'm planning on dipping into iOS development soon I'm excited on what new announcements they have in store.

Mostly just excited for cool features about iOS 10. Nice that we don't much about that.

Also praying for new MBPs, but doubting they'll announce it now.

It feels like the whole world is collectively shouting "GIVE US MACBOOK PROS" and Apple is the Rorschach looking down and whispering "No"

Phoenix

It feels like the whole world is collectively shouting "GIVE US MACBOOK PROS" and Apple is the Rorschach looking down and whispering "No"

Yep. I gave up when the MBPs went on sale because the prices were good and everything I've seen rumor wise didn't suggest a lot of improvement in performance and don't care too much about the new design with the OLEDs so I'm not expecting to be blown away with the announcements tomorrow.

Juice

Yep. I gave up when the MBPs went on sale because the prices were good and everything I've seen rumor wise didn't suggest a lot of improvement in performance and don't care too much about the new design with the OLEDs so I'm not expecting to be blown away with the announcements tomorrow.

Yeah I am not expecting new hardware except maybe a perfunctory time capsule or minor thing

Metal-Geo

Please have Safari on iOS X use the latest Webkit build. It's annoying how far behind Safari is compared to Chrome on Android.

Mindwipe

I'm hoping for the Photos devs to be summarily excommunicated live on stage for the state of the export process in that app.

Export a large library and it doesn't have a progress bar, it just freezes, literally freezes the app and brings up a notification in the notification bar when finished.

Who the fuck shipped that.

Also just support WebM in Safari already for goodness sake.

It's going to be splitscreen MS & Apple conference with the Apple conference muted. Audio will be turned on when I see anything related to a Macbook Pro.

I really hope they're going to announce it, but it's pretty much a given, right?

Let's say they do announce imessage for Android... When could we realistically recieve the app? How long did it take for announcement/release for Apple music on Android?

Ambitious

Here's my OS X wish list.

• macOS, not MacOS.
  • Make Split View actually useful.
  • Kill the MAS. And you know what? Delete the entire source code. Delete the entire source code, including backups. Purge this piece of shit. And feel ashamed.
  • Make the Dock extend all the way to the edges of the screen.
  • DVD Player, Photo Booth, Stickies, Dashboard: Make up your mind. Wanna keep them or not? If yes, then fucking do something about them. Completely overhaul them. Rewrite them. Don't want to keep them? Well then how about you don't? Get rid of them.
  • Mission Control is utterly inferior to Exposé/Spaces. Fix it.
  • UI performance on my first-gen rMBP is still shit. Just recently, I discovered that scrolling through my contacts in the Contacts app is lagging severely. My goddamn contacts list, guys. A simple, small, list of text. No gigantic images or GPU-intensive animations or whatever. A list of text. It's lagging. Hey Apple: What the fuck is wrong with you?

numble

Let's say they do announce imessage for Android... When could we realistically recieve the app? How long did it take for announcement/release for Apple music on Android?
I don't think Apple Music would be comparable as they announced iOS, iTunes (Windows and Mac) and Android at the same time, and prioritized getting the first two versions out. For iMessages, the iOS and Mac apps are already developed (with the exception of any new features).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BT mouse support for ios please.

Wondering how practical it'd be to run this in parallel with the Xbox stream. This one will probably be less active so I'll probably wait for an archive to pop up, or stream it live and pause it.

hirokazu

• Make Split View actually useful.

I love Split View. They could make improvements, sure, but I already find myself using it a lot. Would be great if there was horizontal split as well as vertical split, at least in portrait view. I dunno how you'd activate it though.

EDIT: Oh, I mean on iOS, haha. I also use Split View on OS X and it works when I need it, but not as good.

jts

...hate me...
Hello. It’s my most anticipated day in months.

Sorry Microsoft and Belgium-Italy (I’ll try to keep an eye simultaneously though).

Crossing fingers for a new iTouch!

Top Bottom