• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

Daria

This + a new iPhone are what I'm looking forward to most today. And if that doesn't come (pls Tim Cook), they better show me iMessage for Windows Phone.

Windows Phone, welp.

Rumors say it will come out in Q4 2016 - which is before or in September for Apple. If that rumor is correct they have to announce it tonight?

Nah, they could announce in September and release at the end of the month. New hardware is usually announced no more than a month out. They've gotten better at that.

New Mac Pros please. The current little trashcan is so old.

Yea...those Mac Pro's are getting updated any time soon. Maybe something small but don't expect any redesign or massive CPU updates.

Don't get your hopes up. If you ask Siri anything with "Turn on..." she responds "Sorry, I'm not able to change that setting."

They have Night Shift on iOS and f.lux on macOS is popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented their own version.

The Ringer: Apple’s Craig Federighi Is Perfect

Who is Craig Federighi, you ask? Craig is a cold glass of kombucha after a tough Bikram yoga class. Craig is the high you get when you catch the perfect wave and just carve it. Craig is ceramic hors d’oeuvres bowls that just came out of the kiln perfectly glazed. Craig is the grilled cheese on the In-N-Out Secret Menu. Craig is the open parking spot on a sunny day at the bottom of Mount Tamalpais. Craig is a long, cold shower after a weekend at Burning Man. Craig is avocado toast on the porch as the sun rises.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Honestly, my only, only hope is this:

15" rMBP
Skylake
USB-C
Keep the SD reader
Dedicated GPU at least 960M equivalent with 3GB VRAM
thinner/lighter than current 15"
32GB RAM

$2499 or less with dGPU, 512GB SSD, and 32GB

... it's really, really not asking for that much on a brand new laptop revision from Apple.

New laptops ARE coming
Skylake is a shoe-in
USB-C is a shoe-in
SD is iffy
A dedicated GPU is probably a lock on the high-end, but I know they'll piss me off and go AMD
Of course it'll be thinner/lighter
I think 32GB will be at least a BTO option

mackaveli

Windows Phone, welp.

Nah, they could announce in September and release at the end of the month. New hardware is usually announced no more than a month out. They've gotten better at that.

Yea...those Mac Pro's are getting updated any time soon. Maybe something small but don't expect any redesign or massive CPU updates.

They have Night Shift on iOS and f.lux on macOS is popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented their own version.

They could announce it earlier if they need developers to make their apps work with the oled touch pad. If it was just a body change they don't need to announce until they were shipping but with the oled touch strip they would need to give developers time to change their apps no?

Honestly, my only, only hope is this:

15" rMBP
Skylake
USB-C
Keep the SD reader
Dedicated GPU at least 960M equivalent with 3GB VRAM
thinner/lighter than current 15"
32GB RAM

$2499 or less with dGPU, 512GB SSD, and 32GB

... it's really, really not asking for that much on a brand new laptop revision from Apple.

New laptops ARE coming
Skylake is a shoe-in
USB-C is a shoe-in
SD is iffy
A dedicated GPU is probably a lock on the high-end, but I know they'll piss me off and go AMD
Of course it'll be thinner/lighter
I think 32GB will be at least a BTO option

It's really stupid that they stick AMD cards into their Pros. Cmon Apple.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Honest to goodness, this might be the first time I go with a Windows laptop since I bough the original Core Duo (no 2) Macbook in 2006.

2006 CD Whitebook -> 2010 15" Unibody MBP -> 2012 13" rMBP -> 2013 15" rMBP (my current workhorse).

Honestly, my laptop STILL works great. I have pretty much zero issues. Good battery. Beautiful screen. Amazing trackpad. SSD is fast enough. It's a little thick and a little heavy, but it's not bad. The ONLY thing I hate is the piece of shit 2GB 750M. It's worthless at this point.

No, I don't expect to play games well on a Mac laptop. Obviously. But I travel a lot. A whole lot for work and personal. And so, no, I don't need to be playing Doom at max res at 60fps. But I'd like to play OW at 1080p on low/medium settings at 60fps. That should be completely do-able.

If Apple fucks this up, I'll go buy a Razer Blade. It'll likely be cheaper AND have a 6GB 970M. I just hate that damn logo on the lid, but I can cover it up.

I want Apple to blow me away. I'm not wanting anything crazy. I know that 970M would never in a billion years show up in a Mac laptop. But a 960M equivalent is absolutely do-able.

jax

Banned
I'm more hyped for this than the Microsoft keynote, for sure.

Honest to goodness, this might be the first time I go with a Windows laptop since I bough the original Core Duo (no 2) Macbook in 2006.

2006 CD Whitebook -> 2010 15" Unibody MBP -> 2012 13" rMBP -> 2013 15" rMBP (my current workhorse).

Honestly, my laptop STILL works great. I have pretty much zero issues. Good battery. Beautiful screen. Amazing trackpad. SSD is fast enough. It's a little thick and a little heavy, but it's not bad. The ONLY thing I hate is the piece of shit 2GB 750M. It's worthless at this point.

No, I don't expect to play games well on a Mac laptop. Obviously. But I travel a lot. A whole lot for work and personal. And so, no, I don't need to be playing Doom at max res at 60fps. But I'd like to play OW at 1080p on low/medium settings at 60fps. That should be completely do-able.

If Apple fucks this up, I'll go buy a Razer Blade. It'll likely be cheaper AND have a 6GB 970M. I just hate that damn logo on the lid, but I can cover it up.

I want Apple to blow me away. I'm not wanting anything crazy. I know that 970M would never in a billion years show up in a Mac laptop. But a 960M equivalent is absolutely do-able.
The Surface Book runs Overwatch perfectly, just sayin.

You'd have to really hate yourself to buy a Razer Blade. Their quality control is horrendous and Razer's warranty support is nearly non-existent. Just go search Reddit for all the horror stories they attract.

Guess Who

Banned
There's very little chance of new MBPs today and even if there is, I don't know that there'll be 15" models specifically. I would expect the next 15" Pro to use mobile Polaris for the dedicated GPU and the RX 480 isn't even out yet, much less mobile chips.

You'd have to really hate yourself to buy a Razer Blade. Their quality control is horrendous and Razer's warranty support is nearly non-existent. Just go search Reddit for all the horror stories they attract.

Yeah seriously. They can't even manufacture something as simple as a mouse without huge quality issues.

Xelinis

The volunteers say that doors open for general attendees in five minutes. After three hours of standing in the cold, it can't come soon enough.

EDIT: Open!!

Skel1ingt0n

My buddy bought last years and it's been perfect for him. No issues at all. We work together, and he travels with that and I gotta admit I'm pretty jealous when he can play some casual games that just run like ass on the 750M.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather stick with Apple. I've had pretty much zero issues with any of my laptops, except for cracking palmrests on the Whitebook that they replaced for free like 3 times.

Skel1ingt0n

I'm more hyped for this than the Microsoft keynote, for sure.

The Surface Book runs Overwatch perfectly, just sayin.

Eh, I played OW on one and at 1080p, low settings, it dipped to sub 40fps anytime more than four or five heroes were on screen. I can deal with low settings and a lack of AA. But I need 1080p and at least a constant 60fps for a game like that - or any game where I use a mouse.

I really, really like the SB. But I probably wouldn't buy one, as I got my wife a SP4 and it's the most frustrating laptop I've used in years.

Xelinis

ib2MJUA.jpg

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Here's my OS X wish list.

• macOS, not MacOS.
  • Make Split View actually useful.
  • Kill the MAS. And you know what? Delete the entire source code. Delete the entire source code, including backups. Purge this piece of shit. And feel ashamed.
  • Make the Dock extend all the way to the edges of the screen.
  • DVD Player, Photo Booth, Stickies, Dashboard: Make up your mind. Wanna keep them or not? If yes, then fucking do something about them. Completely overhaul them. Rewrite them. Don't want to keep them? Well then how about you don't? Get rid of them.
  • Mission Control is utterly inferior to Exposé/Spaces. Fix it.
  • UI performance on my first-gen rMBP is still shit. Just recently, I discovered that scrolling through my contacts in the Contacts app is lagging severely. My goddamn contacts list, guys. A simple, small, list of text. No gigantic images or GPU-intensive animations or whatever. A list of text. It's lagging. Hey Apple: What the fuck is wrong with you?

Would you mind elaborating on the bold one? How did it function differently in the past? I only started using OS X extensively in 2011 and I didn't even use Mission Control that often until the full screen function came to programs.

Jeffrey

luckily most of xbox was leaked already, and apple will spend 30min talking about their new store that opened in ___.

jts

...hate me...
Ireland-Sweden on TV, WWDC on laptop, Microsoft on phone.

And when Ireland-Sweden ends 45 minutes later, I'll switch to WWDC on Apple TV. By then I think Microsoft already ended.

🤓

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully this is the year Apple finally makes the betas available to the public. If not, I hope someone else picks up for IMZDL.
Yosemite and El Cap and iOS 9 had public betas
And they still do for every minor update for both OSs. Where you been, Shabbadoo?

Don't get your hopes up. If you ask Siri anything with "Turn on..." she responds "Sorry, I'm not able to change that setting."
Yup.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
MAC - BOOK - PRO

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤

ZeroX03

Banned
I would like a better MacBook Pro, but I want nothing more in the world than an iMac with a 1070 or 1080. Especially with the rumors they're bringing those desktop cards to laptops. Weak AMD in these machines is a nightmare for gaming performance.

Maybe in a few months.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
N - O.

I know you are speaking the truth, but I... I refuse to believe.
Well hopefully I'm wrong, but October just seems right and it's most likely not going to be at WWDC. And I wouldn't expect in June either. So who knows. But don't get excited for something today. In the past they only reveal new hardware at WWDC when they have something neat for devs or something cool to show off. Some small edge cases. I think the Trash Can Pro and the Retina MBP were at WWDC as brand new machines.

But then again with the rumored touch screen F-keys having a lot of dev potential, who knows. But probably not.

We'll see in less than 15 minutes.

Top Bottom