• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE San Mateo Studio joins the SIE WW Studio family

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Most will know that San Mateo, CA is the business and sales headquarters of SEIA, The facility also housed internal technology groups and even Pixelopus. However, SIEA has made it official that SIE San Mateo Studio is now officially handling game production (link) with Spider-Man (with Marvel and Insomniac Games) and Farpoint (with Impulse Gear).

It looks like SIE San Mateo and SIE Foster City are mainly production / co-development studios. But nonetheless this is the first time SIE San Mateo Studio has been named as s full game production studio.

FelipeMGM

So they are oficially an external development studio now? That is really sweet.

Isnt Pixelopus also housed inside San Mateo offices?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So they are oficially an external development studio now? That is really sweet.

Isnt Pixelopus also housed inside San Mateo offices?

Yes. Pixelopus is housed in the same facility. They are working on some type of game. Probably another indie like project.

In many ways, I imagine it's just giving a name to something that's already there.

Some Sony external games do not credit any ex-dev teams, and I imagine that was because it was San Mateo handling it? Like Ratchet.

Nice.

Wonder if Pixel Opus is still around? Haven't heard anything for a long time now.

They are. Scott Rohde commented on them last year at PSX, I believe.

But that is a small indie team. And we've seen how long games can take for indie teams.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
San Diego and Santa Monica especially (they even publish these games) also do the XDEV part in NA, and they have been doing for a long time.

SIE is producing so many first-party games with external developers, that they have to grow their production studios.

Not just a renaming of Pixel Opus?

No PixelOpus isn't a production studio, but a small experimental developer with a relationship to Carnegie Mellon University. Almost like a USA Playstation CAMP.

Kasper

I imagine this doesn't really change anything and just puts a name on the service they were already providing. However, hopefully this means that San Mateo will expand and get involved with more developers big and small.

FelipeMGM

SIE is producing so many first-party games with external developers, that they have to grow their production studios.

No PixelOpus isn't a production studio, but a small experimental developer with a relationship to Carnegie Mellon University. Almost like a USA Playstation CAMP.

Yeah, and I love this. So many games in so many different genres, SIE has been doing a great job on picking the projects this gen, we just need a bit more of them to launch lol.

Really hope that Wattam and Edith Finch are launching soon

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I imagine this doesn't really change anything and just puts a name on the service they were already providing. However, hopefully this means that San Mateo will expand and get involved with more developers big and small.

Might be relieving some of it from Foster City Studio (who was actually involved in a lot of the PS2 Classic ports).

Didn't realise. Thank you.

Top Bottom