• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huntdown, an 80s themed 2D shooter, E3 Trailer (Consoles, PC & Mobile)

asker

Neat pixel art for sure, but the gameplay looks really dull from what they show in the trailer. Hold right and shoot? Can't I do anything that requires skill on my part?

PaulloDEC

This actually looks pretty cool to me, reminds me of stuff like Bio Menace and Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage on the PC back in the early 90s.

4ouuq9.gif

3sfu02.gif

1xculy.gif

2j8uvk.gif

Espada

This looks DAMN good, and if it's as good as it looks we're in for a gem. They nailed the look and feel of those types of games. I got a good laugh @ the look and description of the No. 1 Suspects gang.

Widge

Nice guru meditation in there!

I'm all for 80's revisiting. I like the idea that people can go back and perfect the games of the time, unhindered by hardware restraints.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Like Bladerunner meets the gangs of The Warriors meets Cyberlip and Blackthorn. I'm OK with all of this.

All the better if we're not being asked to Kickstarter it, too.

If there's anything in Pixel I'm slightly tired of, it's pretty much "lineless" flat color styles. I love my chunky black outline looks, even though I also really like the colored-outline, SNES / 32 bit style a lot as well.

Many sprite artist seem to think the black flattens the look too much, but it just makes it feel more like a manga, or expressive monotone linework to me, which I personally adore.

I love seeing stuff like this, that I might have missed during E3 week. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This looks far more like something done circa 1994-1995 than something from the 80s

and that's great,

80s theme, not 80's graphics. :)

It does look like old Arcade / Home computer stuff, which I agree is pretty great. Even when it'd done, I don't think everyone has the chops to pull off such styles as cohesively as the masters of old. Making pixel art like this that works on widescreen screens is a daunting task for many, and most end up using animation or design shortcuts that crush the illusion of classic graphics.

Nikodemos

This game looks vaguely like what Contra Hard Corps would've looked like if the Mega Drive had SNES's colour capabilities.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The guru meditation screen sold me on it lol, i just need a vita version

Well It looks faux16bits and not fake 8bits, that's a nice change

This looks far more like something done circa 1994-1995 than something from the 80s

and that's great,

It's obviously an amiga inspired game as the guru meditation screen clearly shows(the black screen with a red sentence, it used to appear on crashes)
4ouuq9.gif

(but first there's a c64-like loading screen...)

also as the article says:
"HUNTDOWN is developed by a Swedish team founded by Tommy Gustafsson and Andreas Rehnberg. They are passionate about arcade games and retro games and grew up in the 80s, feeding Commodore-computers with cassette tapes and floppy disks while trying to do some magic."

so since the (commodore)amiga is a 16bit computer from the 1985 we could say it's inspired to 16bit games from the 80's ;)

I think it looks mainly inspired by Robocop 2(that's from 1991 though)
RoboCop_2_2.png

with some nice touches from metal slug
1628475-metal_slug_2.jpg

Oneself

Looking good! I've been sick of faux-NES-looking games since forever and I'm quite happy to see that more and more 16-32-bits-looking games are coming.

It's obviously an amiga inspired game as the guru meditation screen clearly shows(the black screen with a red sentence, it used to appear on crashes)
4ouuq9.gif

"HUNTDOWN is developed by a Swedish team founded by Tommy Gustafsson and Andreas Rehnberg. They are passionate about arcade games and retro games and grew up in the 80s, feeding Commodore-computers with cassette tapes and floppy disks while trying to do some magic."

so since the (commodore)amiga is a 16bit computer from the 1985 we could say it's inspired to 16bit games from the 80's ;)

RoboCop_2_2.png

1628475-metal_slug_2.jpg

I definitely see the Robocop 2 influence. Do you remember Robocop 3 in Genesis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NhDMO9RRiU

Titles like Robocop vs Terminator as well.

I think Terminator 1 is also a big influence. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJkSJgRPkOY#t=2m10s

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I definitely see the Robocop 2 influence. Do you remember Robocop 3 in Genesis? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NhDMO9RRiU

Titles like Robocop vs Terminator as well.

I think Terminator 1 is also a big influence. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJkSJgRPkOY#t=2m10s

They are basically the same game with better graphics or different brand so you could be right, anyway robocop 3 for the amiga was REALLY different
just an excuse to post this again lol

Robocop 3 in 1991 on the 16 bit amiga in less than 2.5mb was:

-true mouse + keyboard 3d fps/tps(with the possibility to kill civilians)
PQ37PkB.png
robocop3a.png
2754_6_robocop_3.jpg

-3d fighting game, either first person and third person:
robocop3d.png
78242.png
pc6.GIF

-3d Flying
78241.png

-Open world driving, you can see the gps(in 1991!) with part of the city map in the low left corner of the second screen.
24800.png
78239.png
pc9.GIF
72_screen_17.gif
robocop_3_11.png

-in-engine 3d cutscenes
robocop-3d-pc.jpg
robocop_3_06%5B1%5D.png
2005929-robocop_cutscene.png

Imo robocop 3 is without doubts the most advanced game of all time, other than a truly awesome game, too bad very few people know it.

outsidah

Reminded me of The Warriors but with guns. Kinda made me wish it was a beat'em up but game still looks quite fun.

Looking forward to it!

Fularu

Banned

4ouuq9.gif

RoboCop_2_2.png

1628475-metal_slug_2.jpg
Most Amiga cracked game (be it Amiga 500 or Amiga 1200 games) had that decrunch loading part (game was prety often "compressed" in order to fit in the cracktro). Also the color palette and detail is much more reminiscent of what an AGA Amiga could do than what an Amiga 500 could. Call it me beeing nitpicky, but the fact it's so obviously inspired by games like Metal Slug, Gunforce, Undercover cops and co leads to a mix of 90s European amiga scene with a very heavy Irem influence to boot.
But I may be the only one to see it :p

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Most Amiga cracked game (be it Amiga 500 or Amiga 1200 games) had that decrunch loading part (game was prety often "compressed" in order to fit in the cracktro). Also the color palette and detail is much more reminiscent of what an AGA Amiga could do than what an Amiga 500 could. Call it me beeing nitpicky, but the fact it's so obviously inspired by games like Metal Slug, Gunforce, Undercover cops and co leads to a mix of 90s European amiga scene with a very heavy Irem influence to boot.
But I may be the only one to see it :p

You could be right, but it doesn't seem to want to be faithful to some hardware limitations and obviously it takes inspiration from more than just one game, imo it wants to look like a sort of modern amiga-like game with hints from some of the best games of the genre like metal slug(luckily, because many amiga games didn't age well sadly)
Oh and you are totally right about the decrunch loadings, i forgot about that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really attractive pixel art but I'm a bit worried that the screen shaking when you fire will get too distracting. Hope there's an option to at least turn it off.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've gotta be honest -- the fact that the website's screenshots section features the game prominently on phones suggests to me that it's just not going to be very good. Maybe that's a bit unfair, but that combined with the bog standard everything else doesn't leave me with much optimism.

this looks fantastic so far and getting better imo with some changes (hope they took out the stolen sounds)

Better than the last few contras too, hope it ends up as good as it looks so far.

molasar

Banned
Some beta WIP gameplay:

and a steam forum message from one of the developers:

"We used the alpha test to see how the community reacted to the game and make improvements accordingly. Since then we have mostly been working on finishing up the rest of the game and most importantly polishing the core gameplay experience. The extended development time is because we want the game to be completely ready on release. The game grew quite a bit during development which is why the release date has been so unclear. We also want the game to stand on it's own, not relying solely on nostalgia. It is our hope this will make it a more memorable game!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom