• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 to feature prominent LGBT characters

theecakee

Link to the Tweet from Arkane's Co-creative director Harvey Smith.

aKXEFas.png

Lock if old, sorry!

Good, as long as they're written well. No point including diverse characters if they're poorly done and only end up reinforcing stereotypes.

Mesoian

Who are the gay and bi characters? I've never heard of this until now.

Not surprising, considering we don't know about ANY characters save for the two leads.

That being said, I'm somewhat curious to how people would react to an LGBT+ villain.

Croash

Sweet, I guess that means they'll have plenty of dialogue and characterization, and hopefully all of it well done without obvious, poorly chosen stereotypes.

Every step forward counts!

I love how they build their worlds so I have high hopes.

So is this the latest fad and buzzword in games? It's not open world, it's not celebrity voice actors, it's not global illumination, it's not 1080p, it's not 60 fps, it's LGBT characters? I mean, if Dishonoured was about LGBT people then sure. But I have the feeling it's thrown in there to satisfy the tumblrinas and will be used as marketing.

I very much doubt it plays a role in the story at all and is like one of those things, "you know I'm trans right?".

Majmun

Awesome!!

So is this the latest fad and buzzword in games? It's not open world, it's not celebrity voice actors, it's not global illumination, it's not 1080p, it's not 60 fps, it's LGBT characters? I mean, if Dishonoured was about LGBT people then sure. But I have the feeling it's thrown in there to satisfy the tumblrinas and will be used as marketing.

I very much doubt it plays a role in the story at all and is like one of those things, "you know I'm trans right?".

LGBT people are a fad?

Mesoian

And there it is.

"shoehorned"

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

How good am I?

So fucking good

I hope one day we can get to a point where due to commonalty this isn't news anymore.

I really like how MKX did it where it was never made apparent prior. Felt natural.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Oh boy...

Tingle

Good, Bethesda took some steps in Skyrim/Fallout 4 by having gay marriages available for the player, but I don't think there were any flat out gay characters.

In New Vegas, there was one gay companion, at least. Having LBGT characters actually involved with the story is a better step, though.

Mesoian

I hope one day we can get to a point where due to commonalty this isn't news anymore.

I really like how MKX did it where it was never made apparent prior. Felt natural.

It's kind of amazing that motherfucking Mortal Kombat 10 was the game that has the best use of subtly regarding a character's sexual identity.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

aw, it's your second post ever and everything

PK Gaming

At the very least

Reading this post in Bender's voice made it somewhat funny

...anyway

Hope it's Corvo!

Permanently A

To be fair, this is some guy on twitter asking and having his question answered, as opposed to the devs making a big deal out of it.

Croash

As it stands this is a reply to a tweet. It's not big letters on the retail box saying "Features PROMINENT LGBT characters".

They are building a world with people in it, and someone from Arkane just said we can expect more than "they exist and could easily be missed" about LGBT characters.

It's not used as a USP, not a buzzword. And you'll see positive reactions because what we rarely see (done well?) is usually what we want more of.

can't shake the feeling this is an alt account. 2 posts lol

Sakwoff

We exist.

Get over it.

btkadams

"shoehorned"

How good am I?

So fucking good
Amazing haha.

Also, in regards to the op, that's awesome!

CHC

You'll never know since they are just like you and me!

Kind of hoping for Elizabeth to be the prominent one.

Do you mean Emily, one of the protagonists? If they did that I'd feel pretty meh about it. It always seems like female characters are lesbian, bi, or asexual. There was that thread a couple weeks ago about how there are barely any female characters who just.... attracted to men in a normal, healthy way. It would be nice to see that with Emily, if it's story appropriate.

(Edit: actually looking back at that thread it seems to specifically confirm that Emily's sexuality won't really be discussed much at all, which is fine. I guess we're both wrong.)

Oh boy...

He actually survived being quoted by Bish. I wonder is his 2-post life flashed before him as it happened?

Monocle

Good, as long as they're written well. No point including diverse characters if they're poorly done and only end up reinforcing stereotypes.
I feel the same way about straight characters. No point in including them at all unless they're utterly fascinating and super duper layered.

Top Bottom