• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Independence Day: Resurgance reviews (RT: 33%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if it's shunned to not wait for a review thread*, but it looks like the first (somewhat) major review for Independence Day: Resurgence hit. It's from IGN. They gave it an 8.0 and said it "is as ridiculous- and fun- as the original". As excited as I am for the movie, I did not expect good reviews (yes, I know this is just one review).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/21/independence-day-resurgence-review?read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I232wu2BMsQ

*If it is, please lock the thread.

Rembrandt

Banned
that's way higher than expected based off other whisperings and the early release day press screening. i have no doubt it'll do well at the box office (and not as good as the original because I see The Purge taking over for a while when it releases) but its longevity and reviews will suffer a lot, i'm guessing.

IGN's reviews are often way off from the critical consensus, I've noticed.

Not that we can know if that will be the case here, just an observation.

That second link has an interesting scoring model. The rate it by "film" and "movie". "Film" is there rating about the artsy nature of the movie and "movie" is how much of a slam-bang epic, popcorn blockbuster movie it is. They gave ID:R a "Film" rating of 2/5, but a "Movie" rating of 5/5.

Also, does anyone find it weird they didn't wait another week to release it. Had they done so, they could've released it on Fourth of July weekend like the original movie did.

That second link has an interesting scoring model. The rate it by "film" and "movie". "Film" is there rating about the artsy nature of the movie and "movie" is how much of a slam-bang epic, popcorn blockbuster movie it is. They gave ID:R a "Film" rating of 2/5, but a "Movie" rating of 5/5.

Also, does anyone find it weird they didn't wait another week to release it. Had they done so, they could've released it on Fourth of July weekend like the original movie did.

I had no idea it was out this week, I just assumed it'd be the holiday weekend.

Shocking that they'd give up that marketing angle but they must have had numbers that justified putting it here I guess?

Shocking that they'd give up that marketing angle but they must have had numbers that justified putting it here I guess?

Yeah, it officially opens Friday after the usual Thursday "preview" screenings. I'm probably going to see it in IMAX with my Dad. I've been trying for a long time to have him see a movie in IMAX ever since seeing Top Gun 3D in IMAX a few years ago with my brother and his wike (it's their favorite movie). There's only one theater close-ish to us that does IMAX and it's so expensive ($20 per ticket). So, convincing my Dad to see a movie in IMAX has been fruitless to this point, but something about this movie pushed him over the edge to want to see it in IMAX.

Maybe they are hoping to get their initial surge when it opens and then a second wave of people going to see it late in its run simply because it's the 4th of July and the movie is called Independence Day? Otherwise I dunno.

Was there something originally sitting on the July 4th weekend this year that eventually got delayed? Maybe they were trying to avoid that movie and then it moved and Fox didn't bother to change release dates.

They call Will Smiths Character (and son) Hillier instead Hiller in the IGN review.

LOL
Never change IGN.

Lucy is actually a pretty great writer, though I haven't read a lot of her movie reviews. Guess that just slipped through.

Was there something originally sitting on the July 4th weekend this year that eventually got delayed? Maybe they were trying to avoid that movie and then it moved and Fox didn't bother to change release dates.

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

The only thing that matters to me is if Boomer will live through this movie.
Oh wait, the original movie came out some 20 years ago. That means Boomer is probably... :(

liquidtmd

Banned
I want Boomer III jumping over the motherfucking golden gate bridge with a tornado of alien ships firing hell out of it with four nukes going off at the same time.

Don't let me down Idenpendendneys Day!

I want Boomer III jumping over the motherfucking golden gate bridge with a tornado of alien ships firing hell out of it with four nukes going off at the same time.

Don't let me down Idenpendendneys Day!

If Boomer III gets a chance to chew some alien balls, I'll be there day one.

UberTag

Got my double-bill tickets purchased for Thursday night.
That said, I'm not liking this film's box office prospects.
Only 15 tickets have been sold thus far for the double bill in my local 297-seat theater.

Saw it tonight and it's ridiculously awful. Things just happen for no reason. Events happen, people are introduces, with no explanation at all. At a certain point I just took my glasses off it was such a mess. The movie got better after that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Someone on Collider was saying that he hadn't personally seen the movie but he had heard rumblings that it was god awful. It'll be interesting to see what the general consensus it once more reviews are out.

Saw it tonight and it's ridiculously awful. Things just happen for no reason. Events happen, people are introduces, with no explanation at all. At a certain point I just took my glasses off it was such a mess.

So what you're telling me is that it's a worthy followup to the original?

Dead

well not really...yet

Jasper

I've actually seen it, and Liam Hemsworth should NEVER be cast again in a leading role. Such a dull & uncharismatic actor with no screen presence whatsoever.

Jasper

They honestly should have thrown even more money at Will Smith.

This movie desperately needed him. I've seen it, and it's no where near as good as the first BUT if Will Smith was in it, it would have made the movie a lot better.

I'm still shaking my head at how 20th Century Fox thought replacing Will Smith with such a wooden and bland actor like Liam Hemsworth was a good idea.

Wait until you see it, and you will know exactly what I mean...his so-called acting is such a distraction, and there's a reason why this guy has only ever been a supporting actor, and that's because he simply isn't a movie star and doesn't have any screen presence.

I'm sorry if it's shunned to not wait for a review thread*, but it looks like the first (somewhat) major review for Independence Day: Resurgence hit. It's from IGN. They gave it an 8.0 and said it "is as ridiculous- and fun- as the original". As excited as I am for the movie, I did not expect good reviews (yes, I know this is just one review).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/21/independence-day-resurgence-review?read
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I232wu2BMsQ

*If it is, please lock the thread.

The original was a steaming pile of rabies infested diarrhea.

Mr Swine

Banned
They honestly should have thrown even more money at Will Smith.

This movie desperately needed him. I've seen it, and it's no where near as good as the first BUT if Will Smith was in it, it would have made the movie a lot better.

I'm still shaking my head at how 20th Century Fox thought replacing Will Smith with such a wooden and bland actor like Liam Hemsworth was a good idea.

Wait until you see it, and you will know exactly what I mean...his so-called acting is such a distraction, and there's a reason why this guy has only ever been a supporting actor, and that's because he simply isn't a movie star and doesn't have any screen presence.

Not fault when

1. Will wanted 50 million to be in this movie

2. Didn't want to do science fiction movies anymore after the flops he starred in.

I hope this movie makes bank so we get the conclusion to the franchise

milanbaros

Member?

My guess is that because it is a sequel it will have a big opening weekend regardless. The holiday will then help the legs.

You don't release a Christmas movie on Christmas Day for example.

I am going to take a guess and say that it is exactly what you would expect from a Roland Emmerich movie. No more, no less.

jb1234

The soundtrack is out. It's already posted on YouTube and Spotify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKR5C8O_g0

I already knew this, but I am not too happy with the fact that David Arnold did not return. Not only that, none of the awesome themes carry over. That is a real shame (and in my eye, an outrage).

This bit sounds like a rip-off of the music from Signs: https://youtu.be/4pKR5C8O_g0?t=17m8s

It's terrible, just like all the other Emmerich scores from this duo. Completely bland and unmemorable.

Can't wait to watch it! So happy will smith isn't back. Really turned off of him lately... Sounds like great dumb fun!

Lol wat. He's one of the major reasons why this looks shit. They replaced him with 2 planks of wood.

Also Emmerich lost his mojo years ago too. His movies used to be dumb fun. Now they're just boring and painful to get through.

The Russian guy and his humpty dumpty kids just about saved 2012 while they were on screen.

faridmon

As much as I don't like the late Will Smith and his ego (Does he really think he is worth <30 Million?) This franchise was built o his name and Liam Hemsworth is such a downgrade compared to Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom