• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 dev, please copy this Killzone feature.

cgcg

Kilzone has this awesome feature that I haven't seen in any other games. If you press down on the game icon in the OS, you can launch directly into the MP mode. So convenient. Please rip off, thx.

I wish other console games would boot straight into the menu like Killzone does.

Guerrilla had to get permission from every company that would've appeared in the logo sequences in order to do that. So i'd imagine companies would start to deny that if more developers began to ask to do that.

I wish other console games would boot straight into the menu like Killzone does.
At the initial PS4 reveal didn't they talk about this being a standard feature for all games? I swear I remember Cerny talking about going straight in to the game.

Z3M0G

Yah I made a thread once stating that the game dashboards on PS4 are severely under-utilized...

Sony often provides devs with amazing tools that they have no interest in taking advantage of.

brawly

Order 1886 did this aswell right? No intros. Ubisoft really needs this, theirs are the worst (longest) out there.

thelastword

Banned
Killzone did lots of things right, from how quick you got to the menus to how awesome their use of the touchpad was including the DS4 speaker for audio logs. Few games have touched how well they used these features.

AndyD

aka andydumi
At the initial PS4 reveal didn't they talk about this being a standard feature for all games? I swear I remember Cerny talking about going straight in to the game.

I think he said it can be done. And Killzone shows it can. But devs can do what they want as almost always.

The other thing would be game suspend. So you can go back exactly to where you left off. No booting everytime.

Shin-Ra

No, you're getting mixed up with suspend/resume.

Order 1886 did this aswell right? No intros. Ubisoft really needs this, theirs are the worst (longest) out there.
TO1886 just has SCE and RaD logos on the water Galahad's head gets dunked in AFAICR.

Falchion

Yeah that's really cool, some games take forever to get into the actual game because of all the BS. My least favorite is the start screen. Why make me press a button to then choose what I want to do? Just put me right at that screen.

Yeah that's really cool, some games take forever to get into the actual game because of all the BS. My least favorite is the start screen. Why make me press a button to then choose what I want to do? Just put me right at that screen.

It used to be part of the requirements for the previous consoles. I assume that is still the case. It is used to determine the primary controller I believe.

SpecX

I had just mentioned this in another thread, but I agree other developers should get on board with this. If companies want to throw in their logos in the opening credit or at the end of the game, by all means go ahead, but don't make me have to see your logo every time I launch a game.

xinek

I LOVED how when you clicked on Shadow Fall, you were in the game in like two seconds. I had hoped and assumed this was going to be the current gen experience. But nope, pretty much every other game has assloads of tiresome advertisement splash screens at startup. Such a disappointment.

Jolkien

Another thing Killzone SF did that I saw no other game replicate, in-game UI to invite friend. No need to load the invite dashboard from the PS4 OS.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I thought the whole thing where it boots directly to the game, was going to be a feature for all PS4 games. Guess not. Guerrilla Games are technical wizards though, that only Naughty Dog and SSM can rival. But Naughty Dog wants you to see that logo pop up when you start the game.

-d0hv

BTA

I had just mentioned this in another thread, but I agree other developers should get on board with this. If companies want to throw in their logos in the opening credit or at the end of the game, by all means go ahead, but don't make me have to see your logo every time I launch a game.

I would imagine most studios don't have the power/money to justify not having those logos.

Caayn

I thought the whole thing where it boots directly to the game, was going to be a feature for all PS4 games. Guess not. Guerrilla Games are technical wizards though, that only Naughty Dog and SSM can rival. But Naughty Dog wants you to see that logo pop up when you start the game.

-d0hv
It has nothing to do with technical "wizards" but all to do with paying for the removal of those logos during boot-up.

Lemondish

Guerrilla had to get permission from every company that would've appeared in the logo sequences in order to do that. So i'd imagine companies would start to deny that if more developers began to ask to do that.

I'd imagine they'd mostly not care largely because we don't. As a consumer, I don't give a flying fuck what middleware you used. Just let me play lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That's suspend/resume, no?

No, you're getting mixed up with suspend/resume.

Actually, you're all confused. I'm pretty sure that was Cerny talking about PlayGo, i.e. starting a game after only part of it has been installed/downloaded.

Fisty

Couldnt they just plaster a bunch of logos all over the game's splash screen on the dashboard? Id much rather have a stupid looking splash screen with a few options below like "Continue" "New Game" "Multiplayer" then have a cool splash screen and have to wait through 7 middleware tool logos just for the opportunity to load up a lobby.

Top Bottom