• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump supporters more likely to view blacks negatively - Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-race-idUSKCN0ZE2SW
Supporters of U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump are more likely to describe African Americans as "criminal," "unintelligent," "lazy" and "violent" than voters who backed some Republican rivals in the primaries or who support Democratic contender Hillary Clinton, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll.

Ahead of the Nov. 8 election to replace Barack Obama, the first black U.S. president, the poll also showed significant numbers of Americans in both the Republican and Democratic parties view blacks more negatively than whites, harbor anxiety about living in diverse neighborhoods and are concerned that affirmative action policies discriminate against whites.

Republicans in the survey expressed these concerns to a greater degree than Democrats, with Trump supporters presenting the most critical views of blacks.

USA-ELECTION-RACE.jpg

I am shocked

Valhelm

contribute something
I'm a lot more startled by the numbers among Clinton voters. What the fuck? That's including the ~25% of them who are black, right?

commedieu

Banned
Those numbers are all sort of high to be honest.

But expected. Which is why arguing about this shit on gaf is so infuriating. We're always making shit up and exaggerating about how bad institutionalized racism is.

darscot

I'm not surprised by the trump numbers but I am amazed by everyone else. I know the US has racism issues but this is what 30% across the board, that is insane.

WAPO with the excellent journalism. They know they have a responsibility to vett these candidates, especially one as demagogic as Trump. He's a serial liar who will say anything to get a vote. Wapo not gonna let him slide. I already have a nytimes digital sub, will need to get a wapo one also.

Edit: wrong trump thread!

commedieu

Banned
I mean just subtract trump. And it's pretty equal.

Remind us never to do free labor again to build a nation.

Just isn't worth it in the long run.

Veelk

Banned
I never would have guessed. Well, to vindicate Trump's good name, next they should do a study on how Trump Voters view women and mexicans and muslims, where the results will be much more positive, I'm sure.

Guys, we don't have time to waste being politically correct here.

If I think blacks are rude, then I'm going to say it. There's something happening in this country and it's bad. Our leaders are completely incompetent and have no idea what they're doing.

derp

smurfx

get some go again
kinda wish they also included bernie supporters too. kinda sad that clinton and kasich is basically a wash.

kinda wish they also included bernie supporters too. kinda sad that clinton and kasich is basically a wash.

I made this thread a while ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1215025&highlight=

Summation of that thread:

Consequently, Clinton’s vote share has declined substantially from 2008 to 2016 among whites who rate blacks unfavorably and who express racially resentful sentiments like blaming racial inequality on perceived cultural deficiencies in African-American communities.

So...

lenovox1

They included Cruz and Kasich voters but not Bernie? Would have wanted to see those as well.

The article says that they did indeed include Bernie Sanders's supporters in the same survey.

ETA:
The poll, conducted between March and June, interviewed 16,000 Americans and included 21 questions on attitudes about race. It sought responses from voters who support Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, and her rival U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders. It also surveyed supporters of U.S. Senator Ted Cruz and Ohio Governor John Kasich, the last two Republican candidates to drop out of the race.

If the numbers weren't interesting enough to include in the article, they were probably similar to Clinton's supporters.

They included Cruz and Kasich voters but not Bernie? Would have wanted to see those as well.

Normally I would make a snarky remark about Bernie being done but they had fucking Kasich so why not do Bernie.

I predict they would hold more negative feelings to blacks than Hillary supporters

Those numbers are too high for all parties involved, but it's not surprising that they're higher for the "special" people that tend to be attracted to Cheeto McSmallhands.

commedieu

Banned
The article says that they did indeed include Bernie Sanders's supporters in the same survey.

ETA:

If the numbers weren't interesting enough to include in the article, they were probably similar to Clinton's supporters.

Shot in the dark. Likely.

So between 20 and 30% no matter the political affiliation?

Progress I guess. Still depressing. This is less damning of the Trump campaign that it is of the entire electorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom