• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor : Frontlines soundtrack is an underrated masterpiece.

Thorgal

after taking a trip down memeory lane and dusting my PS2 off and popped in Moh :Frontlines and the music is still as amazing as i remembered

to me it perfectly encapsulates the ghastliness of War and at other times ivoke a sense of thriuph over impossible odds .

i could post the entire soundtrack because it is that amazing but it is over an hour long .
you know what ? ill do it anyway : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7QcsuvfH0

absolute Masterpiece by Michael Giacchino !

some favorite tracks :

Operation Market Garden .
Arnhem Knights
Escaping Gotha

Duraigo

This was my first FPS game, and it as well as its soundtrack has stuck with me ever since. The music for Arnhem Knights is one the most beautiful and saddening pieces of music that I've ever heard from a video game. The music for the level Operation Repunzel was great to have as a backdrop as you went through a huge mansion shotgunning any and every Nazi that got in your way!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I could not agree more, OP. Giacchino outdid himself with the soundtrack for Frontline. As you say, a masterpiece. Besides the tracks you mentioned, one of my favorites is After the Drop.

how is the ps3 port

It's ... okay. They added (ugly) usable iron sights and upped the resolution but some of the art and details took a hit.

Twookie

woah blast from the past, used to love this game

i never realized how good the soundtrack was before now

Loxley

It really is a fantastic score, and for me it became the gold standard for WW2 game soundtracks.

*Edit - Oh shit, Giacchino did the score? I had no idea! Well, that explains why it's so awesome.

FeD.nL

Absolutely fantastic.

Seriously with Hacksaw Ridge this year and Dunkirk summer 2017 EA should just go to Respawn, give them access to Frostbite and allow them to make a new WWII MoH. Bring it full circle.

twelver

Arnem Knight is one of the greatest songs to one of the greatest video game sequences in history. Truly exceptional.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
was not emotionally ready to be brought back to high school as quickly as that youtube link did

User1608

Banned
I played the GC version way back in 2004, music really did stand out to me. As a huge fan and listener to orchestrated soundtracks, this was heaven! Amazing game too.

Probably my favorite game ost ever.
I remember playing the arnhem knights mission and bring blown away by the graphics and thinking about how well the game represented the horrors of war. The music at the back held together the experience.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Arnhem Knights is still one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in my whole life

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I went to the very first video games live at the Hollywood Bowl, and they performed Operation Market Garden Live and it was fucking beautiful. I will never forget hearing it live.

Thorgal

This was my first FPS game, and it as well as its soundtrack has stuck with me ever since. The music for Arnhem Knights is one the most beautiful and saddening pieces of music that I've ever heard from a video game. The music for the level Operation Repunzel was great to have as a backdrop as you went through a huge mansion shotgunning any and every Nazi that got in your way!

still one of my favorite levels

" DU BIST NICHT FRIEDRICH '

I also spent way longer then necessary in that gold lion bar when everyone starts singing while wasted .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzskQjCAxlY

Steveo

Banned
For some reason I remember the soundtrack being great, but feeling like it tried to copy Saving Private Ryan a little too much.

Elitist1945

Its my favorite OST. Very John Williams-esque and proves that Giacchino has the chops.

The first two Medal of Honors also have a great OST, and sound insanely similar to Indiana Jones (not a bad thing) - also by M. G..

EDIT: Listen to this piece from Underground to see my comment about Indiana Jones.

Fuck, I was planning on doing a thread on the MoH series music.

But yeah man, Frontline I think is the best score Giacchino has done. It just has so much character to it, and I love how he develops themes throughout the score. The score he later did for Airborne was decent, but it felt phoned in compared to Frontline's; and I think a lot of his movie cues are too constrained by having to hit certain beats that they just don't stand on their own the way his early MoH scores do.

My favorites are Sturmgeist's Armored Train and Shipyards of Lorient, personally.

I really love the development of the 'railroad themes' through Emmerich Station, to Thuringer Wald Express, to finally culminating in Sturmgeist's Armored Train. How it goes from the depressing, oppressive mood around the station, to the Nazi menace inside, to finally picking up speed and tearing down the tracks. And when you're listening to it on the OST it's all seamless. I think it's an incredible listening experience, that so much care and thought went into crafting Frontline's music as a complete package, I don't think it's something I've seen in many other games or media products period.

It leaves something to be desired. Bought it recently at a discount. It hasn't aged well.

The issue I had with the port is it kinda fucks with the lighting a lot, everything seems really washed out. Also they removed the unlockable 'documentaries' the EALA crew did.

Koyuga

Wow, I had no idea Giaccino did Frontline. Makes sense, in hindsight. Loved that game, wish there was a PC version.

Playing MOH: Fontline makes me wish the History channel never figured out aliens built our civilization and actual historical artifacts are worth about 40% less in a pawn shop.

Wow, I had no idea Giaccino did Frontline. Makes sense, in hindsight. Loved that game, wish there was a PC version.

Allied Assault sort of serves as the PC equivalent to Frontline (and came out first, I remember correctly). It was made by the guys who'd go on to become Infinity Ward.

AA had some decent Giacchino tracks too, primarily Tiger Tank and Schmerzen (a sort of remix of the Schmerzen and V2 tracks from the first MoH), but as an overall package of only five new tracks, it kinda pales in comparison.

Its my favorite OST. Very John Williams-esque and proves that Giacchino has the chops.

The first two Medal of Honors also have a great OST, and sound insanely similar to Indiana Jones (not a bad thing) - also by M. G..

EDIT: Listen to this piece from Underground to see my comment about Indiana Jones.

I think Giacchino has its own style, or at least developed one over the course of working on MoH and transitioning to becoming JJ Abrams guy. I think he is less overtly whimsical than Williams, and tends towards a stronger jazz influence.

I'd say The Motorcycle Chase is the most Williams-esqe piece from Undergrounds, FWIW.

To speak about Giacchino in general a little, it's a bit ironic; he got his start, before working on MoH, as a composer creating the score for the Jurassic Park: The Lost World OST. Last summer, he scored the music to Jurassic World. So it's kind of come full circle.

The music in Frontline was the first time I noticed a videogame soundtrack. I used to just sit at the menu and listen for a few minutes before starting the game.

Amazing soundtrack.

themindkillah

Neo Member
One of my fondest gaming memories is because of his soundtrack. Going through the stage Arnhem Knights was just something else at the time. The track is actually titled "Arnhem" (not Arnhem Knights) and it remains, to me, one of the most beautiful pieces of gaming soundtrack ever. Another highlight is After the Drop. I'm so glad someone brought attention to Frontline!

WillyFive

He also did the first Call of Duty game.

To speak about Giacchino in general a little, it's a bit ironic; he got his start, before working on MoH, as a composer creating the score for the Jurassic Park: The Lost World OST. Last summer, he scored the music to Jurassic World. So it's kind of come full circle.

He added a quote from his Lost World music into the Jurassic World score, can't remember what scene it was on though.

Top Bottom