• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Video Game Music: A Primer

U2OVHmO.jpg

A topic that seems to come up every few months on GAF is the discussion of Eastern vs Western video game music (which is functionally co-opted into a Japan vs. the West debate). It's a topic that never ceases to annoy me, mostly because Western music tends to be dismissed out of hand by so many people. Comments like "Japan without a doubt" or "If a game isn't Japanese, I just turn music off" or "Western music isn't memorable" all of which I find to be intensely and completely unfair.

So to (hopefully) correct what I believe to be a massive oversight in respect and knowledge about music in the West, I offer this little primer. For each composer, I've generally picked out two or three OSTs that I found to be the most memorable. Most of the composers have more to their resume than that, but I thought it would be best to zero in on some of their work. Many great composers have been left off, so this primer of course does not represent the full breadth of everything the West has to offer.

Jake Kaufman - Shovel Knight, Double Dragon Neon, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mighty Switch Force!
Yes, yes, Manami Matsumae shares credit on the Shovel Knight album for work on two tracks. But the star of the show there is undoubtedly the very talented Jake Kaufman, evident by the other stupendous scores he has put out. However, Shovel Knight is the easiest case to exemplify what makes Jake’s musical talents so noteworthy. What’s particularly impressive about Shovel Knight’s OST is that it manages to lend a nostalgic wave to the golden age of 8-bit games, while simultaneously feeling fresh and energetic. Although Shovel Knight could have easily been plain nostalgia-bait or overly reliant on the work of past musicians, with excellent tracks like La Danse Macabre, Shovel Knight manages to rise above and stand proudly on its own two feet. Every song is about moving you forward, making you excited just to be playing the game and bringing a smile to your face, qualities that are a constant across his body of work.

Mick Gordon - Killer Instinct, Wolfenstein: TNO, DOOM
Mick Gordon rocks hard. The tracks in TNO are simply a stellar mix of pulse-pounding themes with amazingly catchy and adrenaline boosting blends of guitar and electronics that Mick himself called "a tribute to all things guitar.” Even in moments when the game takes a breather, there’s an earnest intensity to everything going on in the music. Hard to believe that it’s possible, but DOOM might rock even harder, with tracks that flow from the ominous, to the intensely somber to the downright violent. Similar in a way to Kaufman’s work, the album is a profound tribute to DOOM’s past, but remains intensely modern and furiously “alive,” never allowing itself to just become a cadaverous reminiscing for yesteryear.

Peter McConnell - Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (with Michael Bricker)
How do you compose a soundtrack that suits a game set in the minds of several incredibly eccentric and diverse characters without letting the music become disjointed? Looking at what McConnell was asked to do with Psychonauts, it would have been very easy to create a very disjointed tracklist, but somehow, he created a masterpiece of variation that bounces with ease from music that ranges from the Western to carnivalesque to jazzy. And speaking of jazzy, Grim Fandango and Thieves in Time have two of the better jazz soundtracks around, along with plenty more trademark McConnell genre-hopping.

Danny Baranowsky - Crypt of the Necrodancer, Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac
Danny has been stamping his mark on the indie scene for quite a few years now, with his breakout being the excellent Super Meat Boy OST. Somewhat similar to the way that McConnell is a proven genre-hopper, if you let him, Danny will take you for a trip. With everything from chiptunes to bombastic symphonic arrangements to discoesque tracks, Danny knows how to craft a pumping ride. Even if for some crazy reason someone was tempted to dismiss the SMB and BoI OSTs, last year's Crypt of the Necrodancer OST really shows how Danny can be tasked with putting his music right at the very center of a game and make something stupendous.

Grant Kirkhope - Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata
With a resume boasting Banjo-Kazooie, Kingdoms of Amalur, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye and more, you simply can't do Western video game music without Grant Kirkhope. One of his best soundtracks though comes from the often underappreciated Viva Piñata. With Viva Piñata, Kirkhope could have stuck to the tried and true "Saturday morning cartoon" styling that he was familiar with, but instead chose to step up his game. There's an incredibly sweet delicacy to many of the tracks that's not often found in the oh-so-fast world of video games.

Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor: Frontline
If you grew up in the early 2000s playing Medal of Honor, you grew up listening to Michael Giacchino. As mentioned earlier, it's often complained about Western games that their OSTs are "too cinematic" or "too orchestral." And while that's a gross overstatement of the current state of Western game music, there is of course some truth to the claim that AAA Western games have been trying to ape film scores. The issue though, more often than not, isn't just that they're aping film scores (which leads to a broad sameness across some games), but that they do it poorly. To digress for a moment, part of that stems from the trend for action games to treat war as "look how badass this is." In contrast, Medal of Honor and Giacchino tried to lend at least some amount of gravitas to the subject matter. As an example, in Frontline which dealt with the failed Operation Market Garden, Giacchino has two tracks Arnhem and After the Drop which serve as a haunting reminder of the lives lost in the war. For better or worse, Giacchino will go down as one of the most influential composers in video game history because he was one of the earliest to actually bring orchestral action music to the industry in a beautiful and memorable way.

Darren Korb - Bastion, Transistor
Korb is another indie star, having birthed the two particularly excellent OSTs for Supergiant's games. Neither game would be remotely the same without their OSTs, with both forming part of the backbone for the games' worldbuilding. In the case of Bastion, the jaunty Old Western guitar vibe is paired with modern sounding percussions/electronics and exotic instrumentation from sources like an Indian sitar, to create a wholly unique feel to the world. In the case of Transistor, with the protagonist being a muted singer, music again takes a central stage in bringing together the aesthetics and characterization.

David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.
I don't really need to say anything about David Wise do I? I think his legacy and reputation speak for themselves.

Michael Land - The Dig, The Curse of Monkey Island
For many of you, hearing a Michael Land piece will be a trip right down memory lane, back to the glory days of LucasArts. A mainstay of LucasArts for many years, Michael Land composed for some of their most celebrated favorite games. Two highlights are The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island, as they show two sides of Land. With The Dig, there is a beautiful evocation of the mysteries and depth of space in a majestic, classic sci-fi sound. Monkey Island on the other hand is intensely whimsical and fun, a completely different tone, but one that Land performs immensely.

Jeremy Soule - Total Annihilation, Secret of Evermore, Skyrim
Most people probably know Jeremy Soule from his excellent Skyrim soundtrack, the most memorable part probably being the now iconic Dragonborn theme. But Jeremy has been around for much longer than some might know, with his first big break coming on his often criminally underrated Secret of Evermore OST. A far more subtle and intimate soundtrack than perhaps the bombast of Dragonborn, but one that shows what a champion Jeremy was, even as a newcomer way back in '95. It may be quite a controversial claim to make, but the SoE OST is one of the best from the SNES era.

Chris Hülsbeck - Turrican, Rogue Squadron (N64/PC), Great Giana Sisters
In the defense of many who poo-poo Western gaming music, one issue is that some of the most fantastic stuff comes from the early PC era that so many are unfamiliar with. However, Hülsbeck's music should be something that anyone who claims to be a gaming or video game music enthusiast should know. The 80s-esque synth rock makes for some of the best music on offer from the era. Hülsbeck's classic music spans all of Turrican 1 through 3, but it's Turrican II that's the highlight. His theme for the Giana Sisters game is also humorously noteworthy because it remains the main memorable part of an otherwise fairly unmemorable game.

Tomáš Dvořák - Samorost 2, Machinarium, Samorost 3
Dvořák has worked on some incredible point-and-click games, with Machinarium arguably being the standout. Many of history's greatest PnC games rely heavily on witty dialogue for their characters, but Machinarium is a bit different. Machinarium instead takes Dvořák's music and pushes it to the very forefront of the game and utilizes music to push the game forward. The crowning achievement of Machinarium though is just how perfectly the OST matches the beautiful backdrops and aesthetic.

Josh Mancell - Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter
I'll admit my heresy. I've never been a huge fan of Crash or Jak. I enjoyed them, sure, but I never really loved them. Part of that was probably a result of me playing them at a time when I was completely incompetent at platformers, so I just was terrible at them. But one thing that stuck with me, and one thing that assuredly stuck with almost anyone who played the games were the amazing earworms that Josh Mancell cooked up for the game. Even without having played the games much, all it takes is a few notes of Boulders to know what's coming next, which speaks to the remarkably memorable and excellent composition by Mancell.

Joris De Man - Killzone 2, Velocity 2x, N+
Killzone 2 has an odd claim to fame, which is that the OST for the game was recorded at the famous Abbey Road Studios. A weird factoid, but one that gives a little insight into what a special composer Joris De Man is. Whether composing something a little more orchestral like Killzone 2, or completely changing gears for the more arcadey N+ and Velocity 2x, Joris can do just about anything. Whether something upbeat and peppy like Frontier, or heart-breaking like Killzone's And Ever We Fight On, Joris has you covered.

Matt Uelmen - Diablo, Torchlight 2
Consider this. In Diablo, Matt Uelmen crafted such an iconic theme that when Blizzard wanted to announce Diablo III at Blizzcon '08, all they has to do was have a guitarist play the first bit of that theme, and instantly the whole room knew what was coming. The opening guitar chords to Tristam are indeed now iconic, and the choice of an acoustic guitar was quite a bold one, but Uelmen manages to work every inch out of the guitar, conveying a brilliant suggestion danger lurking in the shadows. The rest of the soundtrack is equally creative and memorable though, as is his later work on Torchlight II, another OST that is multilayered, full of suggestions rather than definite statements. Working in fantasy settings, it can be easy to get trapped in the tried and true or in the cliche, but Uelmen never rests in a comfort zone.

Austin Wintory - Monaco, The Banner Saga, flOw, Journey
Austin has a pretty special claim to fame having produced the first full game soundtrack to be nominated to a Grammy (Journey). Among a tracklist of masterpieces, Apotheosis remains the highlight. Orchestral music is used to varying effects and to varying degrees of success, but Austin manages to use it in a remarkable grand way. What's even more special is that among this grandly orchestrated music, the music never comes across as self-important or too grand. There's actually something particularly transcendent about Apotheosis (right around the three minute mark) that feels almost wholly unique in gaming music. Really, transcendent isn't a word that most would think to associate with gaming music. Memorable? Yes. Uplifting? Maybe. Transcendent? Well, that's something special.

8QBqLue.png

Abbreviated comments on some more noteworthy composers and/or OSTs:

HEALTH - Max Payne 3
If you needed a template or an example for how to make an OST for a “grimy and gritty” crime story, this would be it. It’s dark, it’s abrasive, it’s moody, but it’s also downright beautiful, and fits right into the mood of the game perfectly.

Andrew Hale and Simon Hale - L.A. Noire
Like Joris’ Killzone 2 OST, this is another OST recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios. Given the setting of L.A. Noire, the OST needed to nail the jazz, and it absolutely does in spades. The nine minute main theme is particularly incredible.

Béatrice Martin (Cœur de Pirate) - Child of Light
The OST for Child of Light, with its piano and strings heavy style, perfectly captures that fairy tale feel that the game sets out to evoke.

Toby Fox - Undertale
Last year's big hit had a soundtrack to match, with a particularly brilliant leitmotif that ran throughout the OST with nearly very track in the game having some kind of melodic relationship to another track even among the eclectic mix of chiptunes and traditional instrumentation. Bonus points since one guy made it himself.

Kenneth Young, Brian D'Oliveira - Tearaway
Tearaway is a quirky little game, with a quirky soundtrack to match. Seriously, take a listen to The Barn. The OST is a crazy, silly, loud mix of instruments, common objects, sea shanties and all kinds of other random instruments, and yet somehow, it all comes together to bring the colorful papercraft world to life.

Gustavo Santaolalla - The Last of Us
I'm really just a huge sucker for acoustic music, and Santaolalla's low-key OST is spot on. There's a lot of debate over Western music just being "atmospheric," and however you take that debate, Santaolalla provides atmosphere in spades. The OST as a whole may not be among the most memorable, but there are a few moments like near the end where the music does rise out of the background and makes the scene incredibly powerful.

Life is Strange
I know that this is an odd soundtrack to discuss in the context of traditional composers, but I think it's particularly noteworthy by being one of the most effective uses of licensed music in a game in recent memory. All in all, the music is part of setting the scene for one of the most convincing depictions of the Pacific Northwest possible.

Gareth Coker - Ori and the Blind Forest
Coker's music seems nearly Disney-esque, with beautiful charm that sets up for intense and somber moments when needed.

Magnus Pålsson - VVVVVV
The songs in VVVVVV are about as addictive as the gameplay loop itself.
Potential for Anything
Pressure Cooker

Jim Guthrie - Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
The first thing you'll notice playing Superbrothers is without a doubt the music. As a random factoid, Jim followed up doing Superbrother's OST by doing the music for Indie Game: The Movie.

Olivier Derivière - Remember Me, Alone in the Dark
Remember Me’s OST is unlike probably anything else you’ve ever heard, with its unique glitching sounds and amazing tempo. In terms of pure novelty, Remember Me has to be one of the more fresh feeling OSTs of the past few years.

Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikolai Stroinski and Percival - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Open world games have to be careful to not drive you nuts with their repeating music, but TW3 gracefully avoids that pitfall. There’s a mix of the Slavic, the medieval and the folkish that comes together to make something distinctly "fantasy" but still completely unique and exotic, equally fiery, serene and melancholic.

Bill Elm and Woody Jackson - Red Dead Redemption
The moment that Far Away plays during your journey to Mexico probably remains one of the defining moments of the last generation of games. Besides Gonzalez' song, throughout the rest of the soundtrack, Bill and Woody do a great justice to Ennio Morricone’s innovation with Spaghetti Westerns. The duo manage to take the tried and true templates of Western music, and infuse them with something unique, rather than just simply retreading old ground, creating an elegant and modern take on established genre tropes.

Christophe Heral - Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, Beyond Good and Evil
Heral has been creating some amazing music for Ubisoft. The Rayman OSTs in particular are such an energetic bundle of silly fun that it's simply hard not to listen to them with a gigantic smile on your face.

K75VTaS.png

Other notable tracks:

Paweł Błaszczak - The Witcher - River of Life

Mike Morasky - Portal 2 - I AM NOT A MORON!

Martin O'Donnell/Michael Salvatori - Halo: Combat Evolved - Opening Suite

Terence Lee - Dustforce - Cider Time

Jessica Curry - Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture - The Mourning Tree

Vincent Diamante - Flower - Sailing on the Wind

Chris Christodoulou - Risk of Rain - Arctic Oscillation

Guillaume Pervieux - Fly'N - Vocum

Kirill Pokrovsky - Divinity: Original Sin - Mysterious Guest

John Guscott - de Blob 2 - Prisman Holiday

David Housden - Thomas was Alone - Freedom

Kao Gan/Laura Shigihara - To the Moon - Once Upon a Memory

Jesper Kyd - Hitman 2 - Dreams of Istanbul

Benny Oschmann - The Book of Unwritten Tales - Mage Tower

Stuart Ross/Anne Somerville - GTA 3 - Forever

Michal Cielecki andKrzysztof Wierzynkiewicz - Bulletstorm - Too Many To Kill Them All

Greg Edmonson - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Nate's Theme 2.0

Mattias Hakulinen/Pontus Askbrink - Ittle Dew - That Cold Place

Jon Hallur - EVE Online - Ride out the Storm

John Ottman - I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - Ellen's Exploration

Jasper Byrne - Lone Survivor - Where is it Going?

Paul Taylor - Frozen Synapse - Complexity

Joel Corelitz - The Unfinished Swan - The Unfinished Swan

Jared Emerson-Johnson - The Walking Dead - Alive Inside

Stewart Copeland - Spyro 2 - Glimmer

Damjan Mravunac - The Talos Principle - Virgo Serena

Thomas Happ - Axiom Verge - Trace Rising

Kelly Bailey - Half-Life - Nuclear Mission Jam

Henry Jackman - Uncharted 4 - For Better or Worse

Disasterpeace - Fez - Adventure

Russell Brower - World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade - Taverns

Harry Gregson-Williams - Metal Gear Solid 2 - Main Theme

Ben Prunty - FTL - Last Stand

Frank Klepacki - Command and Conquer - Act on Instinct

David Bergeaud - Ratchet and Clank - Metropolis 1 Kerwan

EDIT: As I mentioned in my brief Hülsbeck writeup, there's a ton of fantastic stuff from the early PC era that many of us are unfamiliar with. Even though I know some of the others by name, I was a little to unsure of which tracks to pick to highlight their work. However, the links below from jett and Phediuk serve a great addendum to brush up some more on your C64/Amiga era music!

Mmmmm dat Giacchino. Little sad he'll probably never do a video game score again, since they tend to give more freedom than the Action Cues required of doing JJ Abrams/Brad Bird movies.

Surprised you didn't include Operation Market Garden, Taking Out The Railgun, or Shipyard of Lorient though.

Missing a lot of composers from the C64/Amiga scene.

Rob Hubbard
Martin Galway
Jeroen Tel
Matt Gray
Ben Daglish
Jonathan Dunn
David Whittaker
Mark Cooksey
Tim Follin

And so on.
Yeah, Tel, Hubbard and Daglish are the only ones I'm really familiar with from that era, and admittedly I was having trouble figuring out what the best tracks for those composers were since I don't remember much from my brief dabbling in C64/Amiga stuff. Tons of good music from that period though.
Hulsbeck is one of my favorites, so I knew that Turrican 2 soundtrack was gold. Wasn't sure what the best tracks for the rest of the C64/Amiga folks were. Thanks for the links though, I'll amend the bottom of my OP!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
This is a damned good thread. Props for mentioning Michael Giacchino and his score for Frontline.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, Tel, Hubbard and Daglish are the only ones I'm really familiar with from that era, and admittedly I was having trouble figuring out what the best tracks for those composers were since I don't remember much from my brief dabbling in C64/Amiga stuff. Tons of good music from that period though.

Hulsbeck is one of my favorites, so I knew that Turrican 2 soundtrack was gold. Wasn't sure what the best tracks for the rest of the C64/Amiga folks were. Thanks for the links though, I'll amend the bottom of my OP!

Nice! Those are some of my personal faves. I had a C64/SID thread a while ago so I had the list handy. :p

Anno

Also, shout out to another severely overlooked Western composer - Andreas Waldetoft of Paradox Interactive. The main theme from Europa Universalis IV is probably my favorite track: Link. But mostly you all need to listen to essentially all of the soundtrack for Stellaris; it's among the best that 2016, or really any year, will have to offer.

He's also a GAFfer - hope he stops by!

Can't believe Jesper Kyd is getting so little love in this thread.

Hitman: Blood Money - Vegas (Jesper Kyd)

Assassin's Creed 2 - Ezio's Family [THE GOAT] (Jesper Kyd)

Borderlands 2 - Ice Extended (Jesper Kyd)

Darksiders 2 - The Guardian theme (Jesper Kyd)

For some incredibly stupid reason, the Guardian theme is not in the official OST.
Hey, I stuck two of my favorites in the OP :p

But yes, Kyd is pure gold. I don't think any game has released with his music yet this year, which is incredibly disappointing. I'm always up for a new batch of Kyd.

Hey, I stuck two of my favorites in the OP :p

But yes, Kyd is pure gold. I don't think any game has released with his music yet this year, which is incredibly disappointing. I'm always up for a new batch of Kyd.
No worries mate :)

Btw, I only spotted the one track, Hitman 2 - Istanbul, maybe you forgot your other one?

Michael McCann - Deus Ex HR and MD. One of the best video game OSTs of all time imo.
Oh God yes. The Deus Ex:HR soundtrack was pure bliss and I still haven't completed MD but the soundtrack has just been stellar so far.

I also think XCOM should get a mention. Clearly the devs just wanted him to do the Deus Ex style soundtrack for it but he pulled it off and still maintained some originality when he did that soundtrack.

No worries mate :)

Btw, I only spotted the one track, Hitman 2 - Istanbul, maybe you forgot your other one?
It's right under it! Assassin’s Creed - Trouble In Jerusalem. Love that one.
Naming Olivier Deriviere without mentioning is stellar work on Alone in the Dark is a crime.

Who Am I?
Holy moly, I forgot he did that OST.

I just noticed that he did the OST for The Technomancer, which I know got some real booty reviews. I wonder if the OST was any good. Time to find it I guess!

Golnei

Good thread, good list. Total Annihilation's composer did Skyrim? News to me!

Does Mason Fisher belong in here? To be honest I only realy know his work from Age of Wonders 2, but I like it
Yep, also Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, Oblivion, Prey, Supreme Commander and Guild Wars 2! :p

I'll certainly have to check out Fisher's work!

Glowsquid

Despite being terrible campaigns, Battlefield 3 and 4 have awesome scores by Johan Skugge and Jukka Rintamäki (kinda shitty versions of the main themes aside):

Solomon's Theme
Thunder Run
Fire from the Sky
The Majestic Valkyrie
Guilin Peak

They sound like a John Carpenter score run through a bunch of effects pedals. Really cool stuff.
Whoah, so I just played the BF4 campaign like a week ago, and I don't remember any of this. I know a lot of times people complain that game soundtracks can be too forgettable when divorced from their games (don't really agree, but I digress), but in this case it seems like the OST is actually more memorable when I'm not playing that slog of a campaign! That's some fine music.
I'll give a shout to Nathan McCree. Best know as the composer from Tomb Raider I-III and other Core Design games, I took notice of him through Blam! Machine Head, which is a cool and unique breakbeat/dark trance soundtrack

Machine Head - Geophorea

Machine Head - Ultra VCF

Tomb Raider Main Theme

Another great Core Design composer is Martin Iveson/Atjazz (neogaf thread about him)

Fighting Force - ending theme

Thunderstrike/Thunderhawk (Sega CD) - Mission selection
In the line long of "great music in a bad game" stories, one of McCree's most interesting soundtracks is actually the OST he did for Swagman. Game was total poop, but the music was pretty great.

Zack's House Upstairs
Start Menu
Witchdrums

bathsalts

Cool thread, I'll throw in Eric Brosius for System Shock 2 and Thief 1-3. among other things such as audio director on the original guitar hero, Rockband 1 & 2 and the the sound effects for a wonderful game called Descent as well as the equally wonderful Descent 2.

System Shock 2 - Engineering

I had no idea the Total Annihilation guy did Skyrim, TA's soundtrack was such orchestral goodness.

BBboy20

I'm still convinced HEALTH can do a Silent Hill soundtrack but: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Despite being terrible campaigns, Battlefield 3 and 4 have awesome scores by Johan Skugge and Jukka Rintamäki (kinda shitty versions of the main themes aside):

Solomon's Theme
Thunder Run
Fire from the Sky
The Majestic Valkyrie
Guilin Peak

They sound like a John Carpenter score run through a bunch of effects pedals. Really cool stuff.
I severly need to do an article on the advertising and aesthetics of Battlefield 3 one of these days but anyways: I'd more say that they were piling anything else that wasn't bombastic on a bombastic military title in 3. Seems like that is still the case with 4.

Seriously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgueCoflebM
I'm still pissed you had to play the single-player on PC in order to get the most raddest yet minimalistic start up screen ever. You get the impression they were trying to support a cyberpunk shooter then a modern one.

I severly need to do an article on the advertising and aesthetics of Battlefield 3 one of these days but anyways: I'd more say that they were piling anything else that wasn't bombastic on a bombastic military title in 3. Seems like that is still the case with 4.

Seriously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgueCoflebM
I'm still pissed you had to play the single-player on PC in order to get the most raddest yet minimalistic start up screen ever. You get the impression they were trying to support a cyberpunk shooter then a modern one.

Yeah, for real. It's a shame the campaigns were so drab to actually play because I think the overall presentation was really great. There's a really grim, nasty vibe to the whole affair, and the music adds a ton. I'd love to play a good shooter with this tone, like a playable Sicario or something, heh.

This one's another standout I think.

PaulloDEC

Amazing thread, so much good stuff in there. Was really pleased to see the likes of VVVVVV, Child of Light, Ori and Tearaway included too.

Who are these people dismissing Western videogame music?

Jeremy Soule's soundscapes in Skyrim are top shelf ambient music material.

Phediuk

Weebs

Actually, then there's this whole raging debate over melodic vs atmospheric etc etc, all of which I find a bit asinine.

That's good stuff. What else did he do, if anything?

A shitload of licensed games, mostly on the Game Boy, and the music is invariably the best part of them.

Anytime there's a Japan vs. the West tread in ANY regard, it just turns into a bunch of generalizations and lots of greatness overlooked. I'm personally pretty guilty.

Wise is a genius, and maybe so is Giacchino.

Joezie

Don't have time to point out specific tracks sadly(via linking) but I'd nominate 2 additions.

Jack wall for his work on Myst 3 and 4, Jade Empire, Mass effect 1/2 and BLOPS 1-3

and

Mark Griskey for his work on Jedi Starfighter, KOTOR II(Specifically the Mus Grovel theme and the Onderon Palace theme), Force Unleashed I/II and SWOTOR.

Top Bottom