• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Martin Iveson appreciation thread

lazygecko

Here's a composer I don't think is nearly as talked about as he deserves. Martin Iveson was responsible for the music of many of Core's titles throughout the 16 and 32-bit eras, the most successful one being Tomb Raider. He also went under the aliases nuke and spaceman in the Amiga demoscene, and today he runs a House label under the brand Atjazz.

I think one of the most notable things about Martin Iveson is that he's one of the earliest western composers of redbook audio soundtracks and you've probably heard a few of them from Core-developed titles on the Sega CD, such as Wolfchild. There are also quite a few on the ill-fated Amiga CD32. Core games that also appeared in cartridge form on the Genesis usually had Iveson soundtracks heavily reinterpreted by Matt Furniss (The CD and cart soundtracks for Wolfchild and Chuck Rock 2 are practically different compositions altogether). What I find particularly charming about his early CD soundtracks is how they have that typical, distinctively 90's Korg/Yamaha workstation sound.

Chuck Rock 2 (CD32 Version)

Wolfchild (Sega CD Version)

Jaguar XJ220 (Amiga Version)

Jaguar XJ220 (Sega CD Version)

Tomb Raider (the original 90's version)

Top Bottom