• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baton Rouge police fatal shooting of Alton Sterling (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit -

Video here.

Article link. Full article at the link.

A Baton Rouge man shot by police was hit multiple times in the chest and back, according to the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office.

Investigators are still working to piece together what prompted the fatal officer-involved shooting that resulted in the death of Alton Sterling, 37. The coroner's office released the cause of death, but no other details have been released at this time.

The Baton Rouge Police Department confirms that Sterling died during a shooting at the Triple S Food Mart, which is located at the corner of Fairfields Avenue and North Foster Drive. The shooting happened at roughly 12:30 a.m. after police say they were contacted about a man who was carrying a gun and selling CDs outside the store.

Police said the uniformed officers responded to the disturbance call from someone who claimed the man was threatening him with a gun. Officials said an altercation happened between the officers and Sterling, who was shot during it.

BRPD officials said that two uniformed officers were placed on administrative leave following the incident. They added that any other information about the officers would be released on Wednesday.

State Rep. Denise Marcelle said she was told by Baton Rouge Police Chief Dabadie that body cameras worn by both officers fell off during the incident and do not show the shooting. Marcelle said the chief told her there is footage of the shooting from the dashboard camera of one of the patrol cars as well as from at least one store surveillance camera.

Police have not confirmed whether or not Sterling was in possession of a gun.

Muflahi said he did not see a gun in Sterling’s hand, but he said he did see officers pull a gun out of Sterling’s pocket after the shooting.

Chambers said Sterling has been selling CDs outside the store for years, and that he’s a father of five.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Unless I'm looking at the video wrong they just shot that man point blank whilst kneeling on him. Is that correct?

numble

State Rep. Denise Marcelle said she was told by Baton Rouge Police Chief Dabadie that body cameras worn by both officers fell off during the incident and do not show the shooting.
Hah.

Why pull your gun out when you had him already. The two of you had it under control.

He's supposed to magically pull the gun from under his belly and shoot?

Lime

image46sg8.jpeg

Let's take them at their word for a moment: How can a body camera "fall off?" How are they attached?

If they fall off from moderate jostling, that's kind of a problem.

Again, if we take them at their word.

PopeReal

I can't watch people getting killed or dying anymore.

But is the summary I am hearing correct? No gun? Kneeling?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Let's take them at their word for a moment: How can a body camera "fall off?" How are they attached.

If they fall off from moderate jostling, that's kind of a problem.

Again, if we take them at their word.

What is more amazing is you have two attached cameras fall off....

Media

I mean, that first shot could be argued as 'the gun went off accidentally while I was threatening the suspect to comply' which is wrong in itself considering he was like...contained.

But all those shots after? Dude was shot point blank in the head from the looks of it, were you making sure he was really, really dead?

mreddie

The people recording must have been scared after the shots like they were next.

Sigh.

Louisiana just signed a Blue Lives Matter just recently too.

ChawlieTheFair

Glad the dash cam and that other picked this up.

Not like I expect anything to happen though :/

Honestly looking at this video, I'd be surprised if that dash cam got anything from that angle, hence "the body cams fell". Thankfully the person in the car had the wits to film it.

Krejlooc

Banned
I feel bad for the people filming that, too. Witnessing that must be traumatic, and you can hear both the man and the woman are horrified.

Syder

I'm basically accustomed to these videos now. The first time you see a police officer execute a civilian it sticks with you for hours, days or more. After what feels like the hundred videos I've seen of American police enforcement straight up execute people, almost always black and male, I just feel completely numb to it. I'm sure in a lot of cases the police have had due cause to use lethal force but it doesn't take away from the actual murder a lot of these videos depict.

I was once mistaken for a burglar by a police officer and despite resisting the most I got was a rugby tackle into a fence ending up with a few cuts and bruises. To think that had I been living in the US it could have gone South real quick is pretty scary.

ChawlieTheFair

Thanks cant bring myself to watch something like this :(

Just to give you an idea, they shot him on the ground, again both kneeling on him, in basically right under the front bumper of the car. I see no patrol car in the video, so unless they were parked at a perpendicular angle to it, I don't think you'd see jack shit.

Coolluck

Honestly looking at this video, I'd be surprised if that dash cam got anything from that angle, hence "the body cams fell". Thankfully the person in the car had the wits to film it.

I would hope that the convenience store footage has a good angle, too. They shouldn't get away with this. The way things have gone, they probably will though.

Cyan

Banned
I can't watch people getting killed or dying anymore.

But is the summary I am hearing correct? No gun? Kneeling?

You can't see everything, but it sure looks like they've got him pretty much secured and then just shoot him in the head.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Chichikov

BTW, for those wondering, the video is not explicit at all, like, you don't see blood or anything and the camera cut off pretty quickly after the first shot so really, no image of the body.
It is disturbing as fuck though, since it looks like a straight up execution.

Just trying to provide a service to those who want to decide if they want to watch it or not.

Loudninja

I didn't realize what I was clicking. Video is rough for sure.

Body cameras fell off. On both of them. Please.
Yeah both of them just came off how convenient.
Just to give you an idea, they shot him on the ground, again both kneeling on him, in basically right under the front bumper of the car. I see no patrol car in the video, so unless they were parked at a perpendicular angle to it, I don't think you'd see jack shit.
Yeah thanks for that.

State Rep. Denise Marcelle said she was told by Baton Rouge Police Chief Dabadie that body cameras worn by both officers fell off during the incident and do not show the shooting.

Funny how that always seems to happen at the oddest times

Breads

Banned
So two cops throw him to the ground, one pins him down while the other is kneeling on his chest, the one kneeling on his chest threatens to kill him, then he kills him.

Do I have that right? It's hard to make out the audio but I don't feel like I'm wrong here.

Fucking disgrace.

Aikidoka

Horrific.
Releasing the body cam footage should be mandatory. It's really easy to show then whether or not the cams fell.

ChawlieTheFair

So two cops throw him to the ground, one pins him down while the other is kneeling on his chest, the one kneeling on his chest threatens to kill him, then he kills him.

Do I have that right? It's hard to make out the audio but I don't feel like I'm wrong here.

Fucking disgrace.

It sounds like the 2nd cop(furthest away from the camera) says "He's got a gun" presumably on his waistline. The first cop, with gun already pointed says "Move and I'll shoot". Sterling shimmies a hint because he's pinned on concrete by two men and obviously can't reach/even use his gun and first cop fires.

2nd cop also says something just before the other fires, can't make it out.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
He was on the ground on his back.

Both cops on top of him with their knees.

So like that shooting/execution in LA? The one cop accidently shoots his partner, doesn't own up to it as his partner continues to assume the guy they are both kneeling on did it. He then proceeds to shot the victim in the gut while his partner calmly places the nozzle of his gun on the victim's back, and then pumps him with multiple bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom