• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

91 Days TV Anime IOTI- Woke up this morning, got your animu

Status
Not open for further replies.
VS30wRa.png

What is 91 Days?
The "classic mafia drama" takes place during the prohibition era. In the Lawless district the law has no power, the mafia rule the streets, and the illegally made liquor flows freely. At one time Avilio lived in this district, but after a mafia dispute ended in the murder of his family, he went into hiding. Later, Avilio receives a letter from a mysterious person that ignites his passion for revenge and leads him to return to Lawless. There, he infiltrates the Vanetti family and gets close to Nero

Trailers:
PV1
PV2
PV3- Long

Opening song: Signal- TK (Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul)

Staff:
Studio: Shuka (Durarara!! X2)
Director: Hiro Kaburaki (Kimi ni Todoke, My Little Monster)
Series Composition: Taku Kishimoto (Usagi Drop, ERASED, Haikyu!!, Joker Game, Silver Spoon)
Music: Shogo Kaida (Special A, Uragiri Wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru)
Character Design and Chief Animator Director: Tomohiro Kishi (Baccano, Usagi Drop, Durarara, Garo, My Little Monster, Space Dandy)

Characters:
Takashi Kondo as Avilio
A young man who's hell bent on revenge. His real name is Angelo Lakuza. He has a severe hatred for the Vanetti family, who killed his parents and younger brother. He hid himself away for seven years, but after receiving a certain letter, he appears in the Lawless district once more.

Takuya Eguchi as Nero
The son of the Vanetti family's Don Vincent. He has a bright and cheerful personality, and he values his family above all else. His sense of duty and empathy are strong, but he does not forgive traitors. He is an object of Avilio's revenge.

Daisuke Ono as Vanno
Nero's subordinate and friend. He is mindful of his friends but gets heated up easily. He doesn't mind fighting as long as it's for his friends.

Soma Saito as Colteo
Avilio's childhood friend and close friend in the present. He comes from a poor family and illegally makes liquor for a living. He has a timid but kind personality. He severely hates the existence of the mafia.

Kenjiro Tsuda as Fango
A leader of the Orco family, who oppose the Vanetti family. His personality makes it impossible for others to know what he'll do next, and he might have madness brewing inside him.

Kotaro Nishiyama as Flatte
Nero's younger brother. He welcomes Ronaldo into his family and he considers obeying the Graccia family as a way for the Vanetti family to have peace.

Yuichi Nakamura as Ronaldo
The nephew of Don Graccia, who controls Chicago. He marries Nero's younger sister Fio and becomes a member of the Vanetti family.

Takahiro Sakurai as Valbero
Nero's subordinate and staff officer. He keeps Nero and Vanno (who get riled up easily) in check, and is always able to calmly make decisions.

Kazuhiro Yamaji as Vincent
The boss of the Vanetti family who has an overwhelming presence, and is Nero and Flatte's father. He is an object of Avilio's revenge.

Start date: 7/8/2016 [Western], 7/9/2016 Japan]
Streaming service: Crunchyroll

I'm not bothering to watch PV's. I can't wait for this based on my love of both Baccano and Durarara. A really good mafia anime would be amazing this season. Hopefully the summer season can finally begin!

Was about to say, looks a LOT like Baccano.
Im hoping the OP is the only more rock-like song and that the rest of the soundtrack is more jazzy. That would do wonders.

I'm just hoping it doesn't end up being eh.
I'm not bothering to watch PV's. I can't wait for this based on my love of both Baccano and Durarara. A really good mafia anime would be amazing this season. Hopefully the summer season can finally begin!

Remember that this is the studio that did Durarara x2, not Baccano and s1 of Durarara which I could swear was the same studio for both. We have one staff member involved in Baccano but I think his role there wasn't major I'd have to double check again.

Cornbread78

Director: Hiro Kaburaki (Kimi ni Todoke, My Little Monster)

Hopefully, he does a better job with this show than how those closed out. Probably more a problem with the writing, but still....

Hopefully, he does a better job with this show than how those closed out. Probably more a problem with the writing, but still....
Director was by far what worried me the most from the cast list as he's more experienced with a completely different type of show. But he's at least experienced with two decently rated/liked shows. Maybe this can be his breakout title

This looks very promising. I hope it turns out good because other than Mob it may be the one I'm most interested in.

I also keep typing MPD Psycho instead of Mob Psycho and all it does is irritate me that there isn't an MPD Psycho anime.

sonicmj1

91 Days 1

This was a very strong premiere. So far, it's very much the show the previews promised. It's a dark mob story, violent and brooding. There are plenty of guns, knives, and punches in this episode, but the violence isn't indulgent, with the worst of it generally left to the imagination. In a way, that gives it more weight.

More importantly, the episode doesn't smother us with exposition about the characters. We see our protagonist, Angelo, both immediately before and well after the inciting incident, and we have to come to our own conclusions about how he has changed. The people we meet are defined through their actions, not through monologue. I feel kind of silly writing this out, but the standards for anime writing are so low that I feel it's worth pointing out when a show gets the basics right. It's certainly written better than the first episode of Gangsta, for instance.

I like the visual direction of the show a great deal, even if it's a little confusing. For a show allegedly set in America, it felt much more reminiscent of Italy to me. Maybe that's just because the locations are more rural than other Prohibition-era mob stories I'm used to, but the architecture, open fields, and even soft look of the backgrounds kept making me think of Europe. Wherever it is, the show establishes a strong sense of place, particularly in the mid-episode credits sequence. That isn't to say it's high-budget (there are a lot of muddy background characters, for instance), but it's still well-directed.

While the plot of this episode didn't go much deeper than the premise and the setting, it did enough to get me hooked.

91 Days Ep 1

This was fantastic, IMO. The sort of thing I've been waiting for ever since Baccano. Total spaghetti western vibes as well.

Cornbread78

Well, that was a prety decent opening episode and a lot darker than I thought it would be. The characters appear to be interesting, and Angelo's revenge motivation should be interesting to watch develop.♤

Kieli

I thought it took place in Italy, which confused me because I thought Prohibition (as in the event with a capital) occurred in the US.

Kieli

91 Days 1

This was a very strong premiere. So far, it's very much the show the previews promised. It's a dark mob story, violent and brooding. There are plenty of guns, knives, and punches in this episode, but the violence isn't indulgent, with the worst of it generally left to the imagination. In a way, that gives it more weight.

More importantly, the episode doesn't smother us with exposition about the characters. We see our protagonist, Angelo, both immediately before and well after the inciting incident, and we have to come to our own conclusions about how he has changed. The people we meet are defined through their actions, not through monologue. I feel kind of silly writing this out, but the standards for anime writing are so low that I feel it's worth pointing out when a show gets the basics right. It's certainly written better than the first episode of Gangsta, for instance.

I like the visual direction of the show a great deal, even if it's a little confusing. For a show allegedly set in America, it felt much more reminiscent of Italy to me. Maybe that's just because the locations are more rural than other Prohibition-era mob stories I'm used to, but the architecture, open fields, and even soft look of the backgrounds kept making me think of Europe. Wherever it is, the show establishes a strong sense of place, particularly in the mid-episode credits sequence. That isn't to say it's high-budget (there are a lot of muddy background characters, for instance), but it's still well-directed.

While the plot of this episode didn't go much deeper than the premise and the setting, it did enough to get me hooked.

Good write-up of the first episode. Yeah, something I observed as well was the lack of stilted dialogue that tries to squeeze in exposition. It was all show, which is what visual animation should be about.

Cornbread78

I don't know if it's a fictional American city or Italy because it doesn't look like America at all.

I thought it took place in Italy, which confused me because I thought Prohibition (as in the event with a capital) occurred in the US.

I'm going with fictional American city, or just yheir own made up world with inspiration from prohibition America and gansts Italy.

91 Days[Ep 1

Maybe I don't have to worry about this show. Nothing screams anime so far, it just seems like a mafia film that happens to be animated. The soundtrack was fantastic throughout especially the minimalistic sound design with background music. The opening shots of the piano/cemetery/stained glass windows were amazing. The ED with the old style text box and the singing girl with the piano. MMMM MMMMM

As others have said, it didn't feel like a particularly American city, so I guess it's fictionalized Little Italy lol. If this keeps up this quality of story telling I can see it being my anime of the season.

ibyea

Banned
This is everything I wanted from a mafia anime. So far best first episode of the season. I have great expectations for it!

Ep 1

OK this was pretty good, lovely art nicely animated the only real fly in the ointment is that it looks way more like rural Italy than America but it's not too hard to get over, I'll just handwave that as it being upstate New York or something. The atmosphere they're going for feels very Once Upon A Time in America like to me with it's slow pace and love of simple female vocals 'na na na nana na'. Very optimistic for this one on the strength of this showing.

Ep 1

OK this was pretty good, lovely art nicely animated the only real fly in the ointment is that it looks way more like rural Italy than America but it's not too hard to get over, I'll just handwave that as it being upstate New York or something.

You know, looking through the material on the official website as well as this opening episode, there's no mention of America or the US or any particular country in which this is set. So it's possible that, while the term Prohibition naturally conjures up the US in the 1920s, the deliberate intent of the creators of 91 Days was to set the show in no precisely identifiable place or time but rather a somewhat ambiguous setting that evokes a classic mafia mood. That would explain why the architecture and environment don't exactly look American.

That'd be interesting if they simply took the idea of prohbition, alongside the clothing style of the era, which one would of course then put 2 and 2 together, only for it to not be America. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I guess the confusion would be cleared up if they didn't say America so they took more liberty with the setting.

Cornbread78

CnVSLs0XEAAqAHh.jpg

Damn, Angelo fucked up, but there was no way he could have known since that dude took like 3-4 bullets, didn't he? There's no way, unless that fatty chick went and saved him since they said where they were going right in front of her.

Angelo's motivations ate also a whole lot clearer now...

Pretty damn good.

Sonebody has to find a gif of that guy getting whipped though, lol.

91 Days Episode 2

Loved the inspiration for the show so far. They're going the right direction for absolutely everything so far.

From the title card's use of the black and white contrast with a similar font

To starting the episode with the daughter's wedding, straight out of the Godfather alongside this shot which seems like an exact recreation of the Godfather's opening scene

Really great. Once again the music has been on point, and the direction has been fantastic. They are doing their absolute best to essentially create a western mafia story in animated form, with no unnecessary anime tropes or random Japanese mannerism to remind us that they think everybody acts and does things like they do.

I love the backgrounds and scenery in this show. Shots like this

Where the graveyard and trees look painted really give it a nice look. When I saw the choice for the OP I was disappointed, but honestly it's actually fairly good. I mean would I prefer something more time/era appropriate or melancholic jazz/blues? Yeah. But just like the Sopranos has 'Woke up this Morning' this is a fairly good shot.

The characters aren't done justice with the still shots I have in the OT. They look fantastic in their wardrobe and all look so fucking appropriate for a show about mafia. The episode itself was another great outing and the logical next step after the premiere, except for something I didn't expect for someone looking to take revenge on the whole family for him to
not plan properly the murders of the guys who killed his family. Shoddy planning but I guess this just shows it's more of a crime of passion and he's not this meticulous planner and mastermind. He's just a man looking for revenge

The after credits scene put the next episode in an interesting position. The show didn't stay in the comfort zone for too long. I've been saying for ages now that I want a proper mafia anime. I finally have it. Keep this up I beg you, you will be my AOTS without a fucking doubt.

91 Days 2

I like how Avilio clearly doesn't have this perfectly planned out, but
already crossed someone off his list.
That said, I'm not sure why his buddy is sticking around.

If I was him I would have split by now.

The artistry suffered a bit towards the middle, especially during one odd scene where Avilio looked comically tall.

At this point I expect this thread to die as there's seemingly no interest for a serious mafia drama in the anime crowd outside of those watching in the anime thread (?) but hey what the hell

91 Days 3

Nothing much to say about the episode. Show hasn't jumped the shark to full anime, so it has been fairly solid. If it can keep this quality for the other 3/4ths of the show it's safe to say it'll be the best grounded mafia anime show there is.

The music continues to be great. And while the animation isn't anything to write home about, the dark and grey color choices for the backgrounds, sets and characters works in its favor as it isn't a happy show.

The best thing I can say for the visuals is that they aren't bad though. And the backgrounds have this painted quality to them that gives the show, while not a distinctive look, at least a better one at that that if it was just bland backgrounds I guess.

Cornbread78

Well, that actually got a little confusing with all the alternate killer scenerios they kept throwing out there, but it looks like shit is gonna get ugly regardless.

dickroach

Well, that actually got a little confusing with all the alternate killer scenerios they kept throwing out there, but it looks like shit is gonna get ugly regardless.

So who killed Serpente again?
also who was Serpente?

the only thing that happened last week, from what I remember, is it was revealed Nero (+ associates) was the one who killed Avilo's family; Avilo went to kill Fango (and didn't); ended up killing Vanno at that one kid's gravestone.

this shit's confusing. I think I might just wait for the dub :\

So who killed Serpente again?
also who was Serpente?

the only thing that happened last week, from what I remember, is it was revealed Nero (+ associates) was the one who killed Avilo's family; Avilo went to kill Fango (and didn't); ended up killing Vanno at that one kid's gravestone.

this shit's confusing. I think I might just wait for the dub :
It's not confusing at all?

Avillio as a kid got his family murdered by Nero, Vanno, and others of that family.

He joins up with Neros family in the future as a no name guy as a ruse to get close to them to eventually get his revenge.

As a means to gain their trust, he's sent to kill Fango, but fails. Instead they catch Serpente, Fangos right hand.

Vanno kills Serpente in front of the grave. Avillio takes the chance to kill Vanno, has the cover up of both of them killing each other in a shoot off.

Other guy takes the body of Serpente away and sells it to scummy government dude.

Cornbread78

Looks like those two runaways found some common ground as they battled that Mexican monster. I wonder if jr. will still kill him now that he knows he didn't kill his father, mother or brother...

a little change of pace, but still a pretty good episode.

dickroach

Looks like those two runaways found some common ground as they battled that Mexican monster. I wonder if jr. will still kill him now that he knows he didn't kill his father, mother or brother...

a little change of pace, but still a pretty good episode.

I don't think Nero said he didn't do it, he just said there were 3 other guys with him when Avilio only thought there were 2.

good episode, though. a little wacky, but I like where the show's headed.

91 Days 4

Well people were complaining they wanted more lighthearted moments, and what better lighthearted moments than two runaways driving down the countryside as they're being chased by a cartoonish gigantic mexican that dual wields machetes and has a beagle partner in crime. He must've been inspired by Machete, down to saying almost nothing and dual wielding.. well machetes.

The scene with the kids was an easy way to give these mobster characters some more humanity, but effective so I can't complain. Their bonding throughout the adventure was needed too as Avillo is a bit of a stick in the mud. I mean yeah at the end of the day he still has the ulterior motive but for now I guess i'll take it.

The whole episode almost felt like a B-plot cowboy bebop episode, such as the cowboy or the mushroom one so I definitely enjoyed it. And let's not forget the scene where he kicked the mexican in los huevos and the fucking 'DING' sound effect played, that is like Looney Tunes levels of old school lmao.

I wouldn't mind more of these episodes with more lightheartedness but I guess this would be the comedic break in a drama series.

The show has officially done the 4 episode rule effectively and it still ranks high in my AOTS list, probably the top at the moment. Where Thunderbolt started really high and has lowered a bit in enioyment as the initial excitement of puppets fighting has gone down, this started out strongly and like with most HBO shows it just has solid episodes afterwards. As of right now the show is missing an enjoyable main cast female character, which in theory they could have had with the sister if she had more screentime. And maybe she will in future episodes. But it isn't surprising that a mafia story has little to no female cast seeing how it's usually depicted as a man's story. On the references side a nice obvious reference this episode was the Goliath bit, when Avillio fights him with a sling and throwing objects at him.

edit: also in reference to the Looney Tunes bit that Beagle was hilarious. When the owner gets hit by a car he's all

Cornbread78

I don't think Nero said he didn't do it, he just said there were 3 other guys with him when Avilio only thought there were 2.

good episode, though. a little wacky, but I like where the show's headed.

Hmm, I'll have to watch it again, but he said that was his first mission and he missed thd only shot he took, which was at Avilio.

dickroach

Hmm, I'll have to watch it again, but he said that was his first mission and he missed thd only shot he took, which was at Avilio.
Nah I think you're right with that,but I'm under the impression he's on a mission to get them all; probably take down the whole family including the don. Nero said "there were 3 others" and the inner monologue was something like "oh,theres one more"

Regardless seems like Nero regrets the mission or at the very least doesn't like that type of shit. Show will likely have them grow closer as friends and then have the final showdown.

dickroach

Regardless seems like Nero regrets the mission or at the very least doesn't like that type of shit. Show will likely have them grow closer as friends and then have the final showdown.

yup! looking forward to it. that's why I'm digging this show. it's leading to something BIG

91 Days 5
I still love the shots in this show.

I expect the show to start time jumping at some point. Because there's no way in hell they have 91 episodes and we're still in day 5. Probably once they reach a major milestone it'll skip like 80ish days as they rise the ranks and he plans his attack?

Looks like things are heating up. Alliances dissolve, new ones are made, and
betrayal
shows its ugly face. Just like my HBO mafias animes.

Before I knew it the episode was over. 5 episodes in and still amazing. Here's to my AOTS and probably top 5 AOTY candidate continuing doing well.

Cornbread78

Oh snap, betrayal within the fam. I hope Avilio's plan works with Fango, because they have nowhere to run to with both families oit to get him now! Pretty good episode pushing to narriyive forward.

91 Days 6

Fango's crazy ass continues to be the best part of the show. The way he loves saying his own name lmao. This whole episode can be summarized as mafia: the tv show. Betrayal here, betrayal there, everybody gets betrayals.

And that ending took a direction I wasn't expecting to the point that making my reference would immediately give away my ending.

Cornbread78

Lolololololol fucking Fango you are one sick mother fucker. He sliced him to pieces and served Orco up to the old bosses. That was harsh. Avilio really did sell the act, almost too well, lol.

Cornbread78

Avilio you are waaayyy to smart for your own good, but damn is it great to watch you absolutely destroy the families from within like this. Dude is cold as ice while set on revenge... This is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom