• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rewrite (anime/tv) |OT| Key VN transformed into beautiful anime once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

0trg3Pp.jpg

Episodes: 13
Airing: Jul 2nd, 2016 to ?
Broadcast: Saturdays at 23:30 (JST)
Streaming in NA/EU: Crunchyroll
Producers: Aniplex, Visual Art's, Magic Capsule
Studios: 8bit
Source: VN (Key)
Sound Production: Magic Capsule
Genres: Drama, Action, Romance, Comedy, Supernatural
* First episode is 1 hour, then all following episodes will be normal 24 min.

OP:
https://youtu.be/xKUM2hbY-L4

Staff:
Director: Tensho (Grisaia, Kin-iro Mosaic)
Series Composition: Tensho
Character Design (anime): Masayuki Nonaka (Grisaia, IDOLM@STER, Magical Index)
Music: Jun Maeda, Maiko Iuchi
Producer: Yosuke Toba (Aniplex)
Opening Theme: "Philosophyz" by Runa Mizutani of NanosizeMir
Ending Theme: "Sayaka na Hajimari" (A Modest Beginning) by Runa Mizutani of NanosizeMir

VN Background:
DpBkmRU.png

Rewrite is a Japanese visual novel developed by Key, a brand of VisualArt's. It was released on June 24, 2011 for Windows PCs and is rated for all ages. Rewrite is Key's ninth game, along with other titles such as Kanon, Air, Little Busters!, and Clannad.

The game ranked as the best-selling PC game sold in Japan for the time of its release, and charted in the national top 50 twice more afterwards. There have been four manga adaptations based on Rewrite published by ASCII Media Works and Ichijinsha. Comic anthologies, light novels and an art book were also published, as were several music albums.

*VN is rated in the top 10 alltime on many sites:*
examples:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2781-t...r-visualnovels
https://vndb.org/v/all?s=rating;o=d
http://www.ranker.com/list/all-visua...list/reference

Ssch70h.jpg

Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori.

Equipped with the superhuman ability to permanently rewrite any part of his body to multiply his strength or speed, Kotarou is naturally drawn to the supernatural. One special meeting with the lone member and president of the Occult Research Club, the "Witch" Akane Senri, leads to Kotarou reviving the Occult Club by recruiting Kotori and three other members: the clumsy transfer student Chihaya, the strict class representative Lucia, and the unassuming Shizuru. As Kotarou unveils hidden secrets of each member of the Occult Club through their shared adventures, he will inevitably encounter a fate that only he might be able to rewrite

nWfjdD8.png

Kotarou Tennouji:
PhcL4LK.png

VA:Masakazu Morita (Claire from Baccano, Ichigo from Bleach)

He is a high school student with a frivolous personality and is known to be arrogant. Though not fully realizing it himself, he meddles in the business of others, and as such tends to get easily drawn into incidents. The beginning of Rewrite centers around Kotarou's antics in his attempt to revive his school's Occult Club.

Kotori Kanbe:
l0BGwXK.png

VA: Chiwa Saito

Kotori attends the same school as Kotarou. She is skilled at gardening and is able to sense supernatural things. She has a hyper personality, has been good friends with Kotarou since childhood, and does not have very many other friends.

Chihaya Ohtori:
qNA4hok.png

VA: Saya Shinomiya

Chihaya suddenly transfers into Kotarou's high school. She is a clumsy girl who has trouble honestly showing her feelings and has led a sheltered life causing her to know little about the world. She is constantly arguing with Kotarou.

Akane Senri:
MsFqawv.png

VA: Eri Kitamura (Yui from Angel Beats, Karen from Bakemonogatari)

Akane is attends Kotarou's high school and is the president of the school's occult research society, and is known as the "School Witch" due to an air of mystery that she gives off. While she is more arrogant than Kotarou at first glance, she has another side to her personality, and even has a much plainer personality with close friends and family. She is usually alone at the Occult club.

Shizuru Nanatsu:
B05Gfn6.png

VA: Keiko Suzuki

She is a shy girl on the public morals committee at school, and is one year younger than Kotarou. She has heterochromia, though wears an eyepatch over her golden-colored right eye, making this impossible to tell; her left eye is blue. Though she does not speak much, she often gives off plentiful facial expressions, and Kotarou can decipher these along with her behavior and gestures to carry on a conversation with her.

Lucia Konohana:
WhlVAhM.png

VA: Risa Asaki

She is the class representative of Kotarou's class, and as such as a strong sense of responsibility and justice. She is a strong, fastidious girl who often must get involved with Kotarou's exploits when he gets out of line.

Kagari:
wCBhswA.png

VA: Kana Hanazawa

A young, high school age-looking girl:
VB71wDU.gif

MAL Info: http://myanimelist.net/anime/31716/Rewrite

Promotional Videos:

Announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMd0sUcWr_E
PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St2NLqKgl7g
PV2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbB0sc1MI4

IO0RXDA.jpg

*Important Thread Reminder*
Discuss and have fun, as always, spoiler tags are not needed in this thread after each episode airs. However, VN players, please do not post spoilers untagged!!! Even if they are tagged, make sure you title it as a future plot spoiler so there are no "accidents." This adaptation should follow an original route, so I don't foresee any issues, however, just in case.... Thank you and let's have some great discussion as the show airs.

Season 2 Updates:
OoGxoXe.jpg

Moon & Terra Route begins: 1/14/17

Animation Production: 8 bit
Music Production: Visual Art's
Original Creator: Visual Art's/Key
Sound Production: Magic Capsule
Internet Streaming: Crunchyroll

Cast:
Director: Tensho
Series Composition: Tensho
Script: Takashi Aoshima
Tatsuya Takahashi (髙橋龍也)

Music:
Jun Maeda
Maiko Iuchi
Ryō Mizutsuki
Shinji Orito
Soushi Hosoi

Original Character Design: Itaru Hinoue (Visual Art's/Key)
Character Design: Masayuki Nonaka
Art Director: Kazuhiro Inoue (Kusanagi)

Chief Animation Director:
Hiromi Nakagawa
Masayuki Nonaka

Cgi Director: Masato Takahashi (Chiptune)
Director of Photography: Katsuhito Ogawa (Chiptune)
Composition: Romeo Tanaka
Editing: Mutsumi Takemiya
Original Scenario:
Romeo Tanaka
Ryukishi07
Yūto Tonokawa
Screenplay Cooperation: Romeo Tanaka

Voice Cast:
美術設定: Yoshinori Shiozawa
Chiwa Saito as Kotori Kanbe
Masakazu Morita as Kotarō Tennōji
Eri Kitamura as Akane Senri
Kana Hanazawa as Kagari
Keiko Suzuki as Shizuru Nanatsu
Risa Asaki as Lucia Konohana
Saya Shinomiya as Chihaya Ohtori

stryke

Is there an overarching theme for this?

Just like how Clannad was about family and Little Busters I think was about ?youth/adolescence.

_Ryo_

KEY always has such amazingly written stories and characters but I can just never get over the character art. I don't like it at all. Which is weird because I think the scenery/background art is fantastic.

todd360

Is there an overarching theme for this?

Just like how Clannad was about family and Little Busters I think was about ?youth/adolescence.

I would say little busters was more about friendship than youth. Anyways The theme for rewrite is
Don't pollute the earth.

I'm so excited for this though. I just hope it doesn't suck. This anime had so much potential if they devoted a crap ton of episodes to it and did each path separately. At least the common route adaption should be good.

Kieli

I'm rightly bemused at the sheer multitude of Steins;Gates admirers. To me, it amply suffices to propose the modest supposition that SG is trite and pedantic.

_Ryo_

Why is the first episode an hour long? How, even? Is the budget really that good or will that length require many faults with the animation?

If it is good, more anime should do it.

Cornbread78

#dead

I loved the general route in the VN but the other routes sucked badly. So much I'm having trouble reconciling they're made by the same people.

They are following route #6, wg
Hich is an anime original route.

Why is the first episode an hour long? How, even? Is the budget really that good or will that length require many faults with the animation?

If it is good, more anime should do it.

ReZero just did it last season and Rakugo the season before

Some of the use of game BGM were a bit distracting and they were rushing through some of the scenes, but it was a solid first episode. There were some good comedic bits, but hopefully we get more Yoshino in scenes that have a bit more time to breathe. It'll be interesting to see what they end up putting in the anime because there was already a bunch of foreshadowing of stuff I'm not sure they'll have time to get to.

KEY stuff are on their own scale. Of awfulness.

It's Romeo Tanaka not Jun Maeda, so this doesn't really apply.

I would say little busters was more about friendship than youth. Anyways The theme for rewrite is
Don't pollute the earth.
That's not the theme of the VN.

#dead

I loved the general route in the VN but the other routes sucked badly. So much I'm having trouble reconciling they're made by the same people.

Only the stuff written by Tonokawa was bad, the difference in quality in material written by the various authors was actually one of the main flaws of the game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
13 episode Key adaptation.

Ugh. The things I watch.

Cornbread78

I'd have to say that this was a pretty interesting opening to the show. I mean, it definately crammed a ton of information into 48 mins, but the character introductions were intresting, there was some good comedy mixed in and that fight at the end was pretty cool stuff. Even some of the tropey stuff wasn't that bad. If anything else, I really want ep.2 now to see what the hell is going on after that ending. Not the best world introduction, but definately left me asking questions and intetested as to what is to come.

Isn't the guy responsible for Higurashi involved in Rewrite?
That would be worth a watch alone Higurashi is either my #1 or 2 VN and anime of all time after Steins;Gate.

Cornbread78

The episode assembled the rest of the gang together as they all joined the club to help with the occult research. Of course, they each have their own reasons for joining the club, but it should be a fun mesh of personalities. They definitely focused on the comedy and SoL parts of this show and it was pretty funny stuff in my opinion. Hopefully, they can keep tbis entertaining and get to z satisfyinv storyline in 13 epidodes.

Cornbread78

Well, the first half of this episode was actially pretty damn funny, albeit, they were defibately exploiting the VN roots by spending 1:1 time with a couple of the girls to get to know them better. Then, all that supernatural stuff started happening and it got pretty interesting. I hope they start explaining how this word works, what his "rewrite" powers are and what exactly is going on pretty soon. With only 13 episodes, they are taking their time here and,I fear this will be horribly rushed through endgame.

Linkark07

Banned
Well, the first half of this episode was actially pretty damn funny, albeit, they were defibately exploiting the VN roots by spending 1:1 time with a couple of the girls to get to know them better. Then, all that supernatural stuff started happening and it got pretty interesting. I hope they start explaining how this word works, what his "rewrite" powers are and what exactly is going on pretty soon. With only 13 episodes, they are taking their time here and,I fear this will be horribly rushed through endgame.

Damn shame. Although, being honest, I don't understand how they thought adapting Rewrite into a 13 episodes anime would work. Original route or not, this will be a mess. Strangely though, I'm enjoying it.

They're setting up stuff that I don't see how they will have time to make good on. Like is Midou (villain who sicked those animals on Kotarou) really going to play a role? They're already heavily foreshadowing Sakuya being important. These are things that only really get attention in Chihaya's side route, I don't know why they are focusing on them here. I see the OP and wonder how they'll get to a lot of the stuff in it in another 10 episodes.

Cornbread78

Damn, a whole episode dedicated to Shizuru's tragic backstory. I guess they had to visit her route at least once. Looks like class pres will get an episode next week as well....

I'm not sure how much I like this structure since I thought they were going to explore a new route throughout the season.

Damn, a whole episode dedicated to Shizuru's tragic backstory. I guess they had to visit her route at least once. Looks like class pres will get an episode next week as well....

I'm not sure how much I like this structure since I thought they were going to explore a new route throughout the season.

Shizuru's story is actually not from her route, but from the common route of the VN. But yeah, it still feels like they are introducing elements that they are not going to have the time to make good on.

Cornbread78

rewrite-episode-5.jpg

I was right, this episode wascall about Class Rep and her tragic background story. More importantly, we finally find out what Kotarou's "rewrite" power is and how Shizaru and Class rep are linked with the secret organization. A lot of info was dumped in the final few minutes, but at least some questions were finally answered.

Cornbread78

10-1-550x285.jpg

Well, they got rid of following a different girl each week and started to get into the plot of the show and the "environmental" focus of the VN. Still not sure where they are going though as they have not touched the "6th route" as of yet.

Cornbread78

Talkin' to myself in here, lol.

Some nice action scenes in this episode as things heat up, however..... I can't stand it, but I really should just drop the show and play the VN at this point. They keep jumping from point to point with nothing consistant in regards to following the 6th "all new" branch story at all... so many unanswered questions each week...

Some nice action scenes in this episode as things heat up, however..... I can't stand it, but I really should just drop the show and play the VN at this point. They keep jumping from point to point with nothing consistant in regards to following the 6th "all new" branch story at all... so many unanswered questions each week...

This episode was essentially the end of the "common route" of the VN so the 6th route business will probably start now. If you want to play the game, I'd probably wait for the official localization of Rewrite+ which Visual Arts has announced they are doing.

Cornbread78

This episode was essentially the end of the "common route" of the VN so the 6th route business will probably start now. If you want to play the game, I'd probably wait for the official localization of Rewrite+ which Visual Arts has announced they are doing.

Would the VN run on a pos old laptop?

I wish they would localize the Vita version that yhey launched in Japan.

todd360

I'm really sad that this didn't get as many episodes as clannad or little busters. The VN was so good. I loved it.

I don't even know how the feel about the anime at this point. I love the characters, so its always fun to watch for me. I just wish they were doing the story the justice it deserves.

I'll try to remember to look at the thread next episode so you won't have to talk to yourself.

Would the VN run on a pos old laptop?
Probably unless things have changed with Rewrite+. It's a VN from 2011, it doesn't require much in terms of hardware.
I wish they would localize the Vita version that yhey launched in Japan.
It'd be nice, though Visual Arts hasn't shown much interest in console/handhelds in the West as of now. They'd probably have to find a partner to publish it for them.

todd360

Probably unless things have changed with Rewrite+. It's a VN from 2011, it doesn't require much in terms of hardware.

It'd be nice, though Visual Arts hasn't shown much interest in console/handhelds in the West as of now. They'd probably have to find a partner to publish it for them.

I'm pretty sure he could watch a play through on YouTube if for some reason his computer couldn't run it. It would suck compared to actually playing the vn though.

Lucentto

Banned
I actually don't recommend watching this show if you haven't read the VN. Now I honestly don't think the anime is that good, but I can appreciate it a bit since I read the VN. The VN though is A+ material.

Linkark07

Banned
And Kagari finally talks (after being hit by a rock giving her some kind of amnesia of course). So this is the Kagari of Harvest Festa; really liked her personality. Overall I really liked this episode, with the exception that the animation is getting worst each episode.

Also new OP and ED. While he second OP isn't Philosophyz or Rewrite, the song was ok, same with the animation. And damn, that opening has too many spoilers.

You know, I think this anime has potential, if it wasn't limited by 13 episodes. If they could have secured at least 2 cours, 8 bit could have made a good anime adaptation without rushing it. First cour for explain some backstory of the five girls and follow the common route and the second cour for Kagari and the anime original route while adapt Terra as an OVA.

Cornbread78

Well hello Kagari, nice to formally meet you finally. It's a shame the pacibg is all over the place in this show as new world concepts are still being introduced 8 epidodes in. I'm guessing the final 5 episodes will focus on getting Kafari's memories back and helping to possibly stop a disaster from happening? Still too much going on though..

todd360

So kagari is acting like she does in harvest festa? I only played the original vn. I like her personality this episode.

Cornbread78

So kagari is acting like she does in harvest festa? I only played the original vn. I like her personality this episode.

So far the anime has been structured as a homage to the VN and has no continuity for Anime only watchers... They should have expanded it to 24+ episodes and done a proper adaptation, but nope they just rushed this shit out the door for thd anniversary edition.

Linkark07

Banned
On the good side. all I can say is that this is the best Kagari I have seen. On the bad side, the animation is getting worse each episode. It was this bad with Grisaia?

On another note, the all out war between Guardian and Gaia will start soon. Kinda interested how they will handle this.

Cornbread78

That episode actually made sense andvanswered a ton of questions the show had been dodging up to this point. That was probably the best episode yet since it made sense and was well paced. Oh yeah, the comedy was pretty damn good as well.

Cornbread78

Oh my, I was not ready for that ending! That was a crazy fight that had a devestating outcome. Everything is super crazy right now and it has gotten very interesting as to how they are going to finish this off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom