• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange (anime/tv) |OT| A Plea From the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

glI1cTZ.jpg

Episodes: Unknown
Airing: Jul 4, 2016 to ?
Broadcast: Mondays at 00:00 (JST)
Streaming NA/EU: Crunchyroll
Producers: TMS Entertainment
Studios: Telecom Animation Film
Source: Manga (complete)
Genres: School, Drama, Romance, Sci-fi, Shoujo

Staff:
Original creator: Ichigo Takano
Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate)
Series Composition: Yuuko Kakihara (Chihayafuru 2)
Character Design: Nobuteru Yuki (The Vision of Escaflowne, Kids on the Slope)
Sound Director: Yukio Nagasaki (GATE, Dragon Ball Z Kai)
Composer: Hiroaki Tsutsumi (Kuromukuro, Monster Musume)
Theme Song Performance: Yuu Takahashi (OP)

Synopsis:
On the day that Naho begins 11th grade, she recieves a letter from herself ten years in the future. At first, she writes it off as a prank, but as the letter’s predictions come true one by one Naho realizes that the letter might be the real deal. Her future self tells Naho that a new transfer student, a boy named Kakeru, will soon join her class. The letter begs Naho to watch over him, saying that only Naho can save Kakeru from a terrible future. Who is this mystery boy, and can Naho save him from his destiny?

hwPhp5F.jpg

Naho Takamiya:
w3jp9dT.jpg

VA: Kana Hanazawa (Angel Beats, Danball Senki W, Deadman Wonderland)
- Naho is a kind, shy girl that has a crush on her classmate Kakeru. She receives a letter from her future self telling her that to watch over Kakeru closely as he is going to die. To avoid a lifetime of regret, Naho has to change her reserved disposition—but this is much easier said than done

Kakeru Naruse:
yVCYdOL.jpg

VA: Seiichirō Yamashita (Amagi Brilliant Park, Golden Time, Gate)
- Naho's classmate, Kakeru is the boy that she likes. He has several issues regarding his family and he was apparently lonely until he joined Naho's group of friends. It is revealed in the first chapter that he will die in an accident, but there is a possibility to change his future and the only one who can save him is Naho.

Saku Hagita:
HaOXLKn.jpg

VA: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Gintama, Gate, Charlotte)
- Naho's friend who likes reading manga.

Suwa Hiroto:
GP09Naw.jpg

VA: Makoto Furukawa (Golden Time, One Punch Man, Taboo Tattoo)
- Suwa is Naho and Kakeru's classmate and friend. He is very energetic and outgoing and he loves to hang out with his friends. He likes Naho but knows she likes Kakeru, so he supports them both. Suwa will become a very important person to her in her future, but 16-year-old Naho doesn't know yet.

Azusa Murasaka:
ypMXyK3.jpg

VA: Natsumi Takamori (Another, Brave Witches, Houkago no Pleiades)

Takako Chino:
z4XbWO4.jpg

VA: Rika Kinugawa (Hundred, Masou Gakuen HxH)
- Takako is one of Naho's friends. She's a little boyish.

Promotional Videos:

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZltZ4ci9Bs
PV2: https://youtu.be/NkqePv9i6Yw
PV3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU2mPHp9Btk

Reviews of the manga:

"Once I started, I really didn't want to stop and I hated having to put it down to do other things.
I really, really enjoyed it and loved the wonderful friendship between Naho and her group of friends. they are a very close knit group and they always have each others backs. I loved that.
Naho was an adorable protagonist, although I will say that sometimes her meekness got on my nerves a bit and I wanted to shout at her to just do whatever it was she wanted to do, instead of running away and obsessing that she wasn't good enough or brave enough. that got on my nerves after awhile but I couldn't help but still love her because she always had everyone's best interests at heart."

"Everything about this series is just so goddamn beautiful. It's positive message of friendship and love is just way too wholesome! This (wonderful) manga deals with some not-so-positive themes as well such as depression and suicide, however the way this all dealt with is extremely realistic and respectful. All the characters are amazingly well-written and deserve to be happy"

"Everything about this, from the art style to the characters to that heart-wrenching plot... god. How could you not love it all? How could you not root for those five friends, (no spoiler, that's really what the plot is). I had tears rolling down my face by the time I finished.."

Manga GAF says:
- The show has romance with a small sci-fi twist; it delivers on the feels. Fans of more subdued romance should find plenty to like here, but the background plot is plenty compelling as well. Love the characters as well, this is definitely my show of the summer. I think this one will become a favorite just like its manga has and this will almost certainly be a complete adaption of the manga.

***Important Thread Reminder***
As always, spoiler tags are not needed in this thread after each episode airs. However, manga readers, please do not post future spoilers untagged!!! Even if they are tagged, make sure you title it as a future plot spoiler so there are no "accidents." Thank you and let's have some great discussion as the show airs.

QIZgKZL.jpg
khozMHL.png

phaze

In for Hamasaki saving anime once more. As expected of director of Blade&Soul and Terraformars.

Linkark07

Banned
Thought this started airing today Cornbread. Well, have 3 more days for finish Konosuba.

Of the VAs, the only one I know by name is HanaKana. Quite interested in this one.

mdubs

Banned
Subbed, one of my favourite manga series from this year. Absolutely go pick it up (only 2 volumes) from your bookstore immediately

Cornbread78

Thought this started airing today Cornbread. Well, have 3 more days for finish Konosuba.

Of the VAs, the only one I know by name is HanaKana. Quite interested in this one.

Everything says Monday.

Good choice with Konosuba though.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to this one

Cornbread78

Well damn. Solid opening with great character interactions, solid visuals and beautiful music. Easy to say I'm hooked already after 1 episode and looking forward to more as she follows the letter.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
After Erased, I'm gonna wait till it goes past the fourth episode to decide if I'm gonna watch it. Anyone kind could PM me if it doesn't suck at its fifth ep.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Already hooked after first episode, I am sure this won't end like erased since the manga already finished.

After Erased, I'm gonna wait till it goes past the fourth episode to decide if I'm gonna watch it. Anyone kind could PM me if it doesn't suck at its fifth ep.

I haven't read the manga but it already seems to have the right focus for the kind of story that I think it will be. Erased was kind of all over the place, even in the beginning, if I'm remembering it right. But I guess hindsight is 20/20 etc, still I think this one is off to a much more auspicious start.

Linkark07

Banned
So many regrets, strange she is still having them 10 years later. I can understand Kakeru's... btw, did he die? It seems he died somewhere in those 10 years.

RangerBAD

I'm hooked by the first episode. We already know what happens, but I like the importance of happiness in the moment despite eventualities.

Cornbread78

What the fuck, man. I read the entire OP and nowhere did it say that.

Thanks for spoiling it.

I think it's more implied that is what she is trying to prevent him from doing. The end of episode 1 when it is her future self, openly says that he's dead.

Kieli

I think it's more implied that is what she is trying to prevent him from doing. The end of episode 1 when it is her future self, openly says that he's dead.

It seems much more that he has a terminal illness. Would explain the 2 week absence because he's bedridden.

What the fuck, man. I read the entire OP and nowhere did it say that.

Thanks for spoiling it.

Uh it does say it in the OP.

"How could you not root for those five friends, who find out through letters from their future selves that their 6th friend is going to kill himself... and they try their hardest to stop it? (no spoiler, that's really what the plot is)"

Kieli

Uh it does say it in the OP.

"How could you not root for those five friends, who find out through letters from their future selves that their 6th friend is going to kill himself... and they try their hardest to stop it? (no spoiler, that's really what the plot is)"

Those are reviews from random people.....

If it's not in the synopsis or character bios, then maybe we aren't supposed to know that yet....

mdubs

Banned
Those are reviews from random people.....

If it's not in the synopsis or character bios, then maybe we aren't supposed to know that yet....

It get revealed very early on in the series, may happen in the next episode or two iirc

Cornbread78

Sorry, thought that premise was pretty well known, since it's the basis of the whole show, but I spoilered it just in case.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Orange Episode 1:

Well, this is the first episode of some this season that I actually managed to finish, so it has that going for it. Right, so as has been mentioned in other reviews this is a romance anime with a time travel gimmick attached via magic notes and it is actually leaving me confused. Not from a mechanics point of view as this is a variation on the rewind button but on an emotional level. The actual romance itself is beginning to assert itself and we are actually getting some plausible emotional connection which is nice, showing rather then just telling me the love portion is always a plus.
So I having some real problems reconciling while the time travel gimmick exists; indeed I think this series may have fucked up on a very fundamental level by showing 26 year old Takamiya Naho. So here is the thing and I suppose there is no getting around the notion that this is a fairly selfish and petty usage of time travel powers. It is the kind of abuse that other time travel stories would use to point out how not to such power on the grounds of making shit so much worse and that is the risk being run here. This feeds into the largest issue is we get to actually see future Takamiya Naho and she is a normal well adjust woman whom also seems to have a husband and a child, though I suppose that could have been just a friend. She also writes about all of the joy and happiness her younger self will experience while still hyping these "regrets" in earnest. I'll get down to it, her adult self is too happy and has too good of a life for me to see it change into something that may at the end of the day be worse then what she got now. I would be fine if that was the lesson the series was going for but I get the feeling that it just wants me to root for the main couple because that is what I am supposed to do. God damn, the more I think about this the more I am realizing just what a horrible person Takamiya is and that this show seems to have broken itself in a very fundamental ways. We needed some bitterness or some such overwhelming negative emotional state so that these actions could possibly justified but as it is we are watching a spoiled brat play around with time because she didn't hook up with a high school attraction that she doesn't nearly have enough emotional connection towards to make this believable. Well then, this was longer then expected and as it stands I might watch the next episode and I might not.

Kieli

Well all you said was that it wasn't in the op when it was.

Yeah, you are right. I was wrong about it not being in the OP.

I guess it's not a big deal if it gets revealed next episode or something. I thought it was a big plot twist spoiled by a review...

Orange Episode 1:

Well, this is the first episode of some this season that I actually managed to finish, so it has that going for it. Right, so as has been mentioned in other reviews this is a romance anime with a time travel gimmick attached via magic notes and it is actually leaving me confused. Not from a mechanics point of view as this is a variation on the rewind button but on an emotional level. The actual romance itself is beginning to assert itself and we are actually getting some plausible emotional connection which is nice, showing rather then just telling me the love portion is always a plus.
So I having some real problems reconciling while the time travel gimmick exists; indeed I think this series may have fucked up on a very fundamental level by showing 26 year old Takamiya Naho. So here is the thing and I suppose there is no getting around the notion that this is a fairly selfish and petty usage of time travel powers. It is the kind of abuse that other time travel stories would use to point out how not to such power on the grounds of making shit so much worse and that is the risk being run here. This feeds into the largest issue is we get to actually see future Takamiya Naho and she is a normal well adjust woman whom also seems to have a husband and a child, though I suppose that could have been just a friend. She also writes about all of the joy and happiness her younger self will experience while still hyping these "regrets" in earnest. I'll get down to it, her adult self is too happy and has too good of a life for me to see it change into something that may at the end of the day be worse then what she got now. I would be fine if that was the lesson the series was going for but I get the feeling that it just wants me to root for the main couple because that is what I am supposed to do. God damn, the more I think about this the more I am realizing just what a horrible person Takamiya is and that this show seems to have broken itself in a very fundamental ways. We needed some bitterness or some such overwhelming negative emotional state so that these actions could possibly justified but as it is we are watching a spoiled brat play around with time because she didn't hook up with a high school attraction that she doesn't nearly have enough emotional connection towards to make this believable. Well then, this was longer then expected and as it stands I might watch the next episode and I might not.

Umm...
keep watching. This really does get explained later. Don't know if I should say this last part, but it's really not what you think.

As a big fan of the manga, I'm very much looking forward to how this one turns out. First episode was great, so I hope they can keep this up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Umm...
keep watching. This really does get explained later. Don't know if I should say this last part, but it's really not what you think.

I really hope so since they may have walked into a moral quandary they were not prepared to deal with.

dickroach

just watched the first ep. interesting premise, and the background illustrations are gorgeous. def gonna keep up with it

Kieli

yeah, still not getting where u guys know he commits suicide

its his
mom that does, and all the letter says is he dies in an acciden
accident =/= suicide

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 2

At the beginning, I thought there was a Sankaku kankei between Kakeru, Naho and the other dude. Still have my doubts though.

Guess he didn't suicide after all. Hopefully they can save him.

Cornbread78

Damn, I love the way they overlay the show with music to help match the tone of the show. This type of ambiance is an excellent way to really get the viewer intk thr show. It's working.... The character interactions are really good and really bring out the individual personalities of their circle of friends. I can't wait to watch the next episode so I can see how thing play out.

AOTY through 2 episodes by far, lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
The music and general atmosphere of this show is amazing. I am in love with the OP song too, it's so good.

Haven't read the manga, so I am not familiar with the story or any changes made, but I was heartbroken at the reveal about his mom, crushing. l love this show, best premiere this summer.

Linkark07

Banned
Episode 3

Naho, you should have told him your feelings. Now this will turn into a cycle of regrets, misundentardings and awkward scenes I bet.

And he did suicide after all.

Cornbread78

Damn, that closing scene in the future as they started figuring everything out was pretty sad stuff. After that scene, it's confirmed that he commited suicide during that year. Naho is trying to change the future, but she's not going at it 100% according to the letter, so some things are being changed, but not everything as needed.

Excellent episode again though.

Aiii

So not worth it
This show is such a gut punch every time. Showing the future and their regrets really gets you invested in her saving Kakeru-san. Next episode can't come quickly enough.

Cornbread78

This show is such a gut punch every time. Showing the future and their regrets really gets you invested in her saving Kakeru-san. Next episode can't come quickly enough.

Yeah, I was surprised at the emotional boost put out with the scene from the future at the end. It shows the importance of what she is trying to avoid happen again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom