• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Napoleon Bonaparte: History's Greatest Simp

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Today in History's Greatest Simps, we look at Napoleon Bonaparte and his wife Josephine.

IcOhdxv.png

2gaPx6b.jpg

In all seriousness, it's a fascinating story. Napoleon was a young man, Josephine much older and previously married with children. He fell head over heels for her, but she was most likely looking for a way to maintain her spending habits and social status.

ChatGPT summarizes:
  1. Endearing Letters: Napoleon wrote numerous letters to Joséphine that were filled with passion and longing. Some of these letters, dripping with affection and sometimes desperation, show a man deeply infatuated. For example, he once wrote, "I awake full of you. Your image and the memory of last night's intoxicating pleasures has left no rest to my senses."
  2. Obsessive Behavior: Napoleon's fixation on Joséphine sometimes bordered on the obsessive. He would write to her constantly, sometimes multiple times a day, expressing his longing and desire to be with her.
  3. Turning a Blind Eye: Despite being a brilliant military tactician, Napoleon seemed to have a blind spot when it came to Joséphine's infidelities. Even when presented with evidence of her affairs, he chose to overlook them, showcasing an extreme level of tolerance or denial.
  4. Extravagant Spending: Joséphine was known for her extravagant tastes and incurred significant debts due to her spending habits. Napoleon, despite being aware of these financial strains, often settled her debts, further showcasing his unwavering devotion and willingness to appease her despite the blatant financial irresponsibility.
  5. Emotion over Strategy: There are claims that Napoleon's emotional turmoil over Joséphine might have affected his military decisions. His anguish over her rumored infidelity might have clouded his judgment during crucial military campaigns.
  6. Reluctance to End the Relationship: Despite the political and personal pressures to produce an heir and Joséphine's inability to do so, Napoleon hesitated for years to end the relationship. When he finally did decide to divorce her, it was a deeply emotional and public affair, with both of them declaring enduring love for each other.
  7. Forever in His Heart: Even after their divorce and his subsequent marriage to Marie Louise, Napoleon continued to hold a flame for Joséphine. On his deathbed, it's said that one of his last words was "Joséphine."

Here are a few of Napoleon's hundreds of letters to Josephine, which she often didn't bother responding to, or responded to briefly and neutrally:

"Days after Napoleon and Josephine were married, Napoleon left to command the French army near Italy. Throughout the following months, he begged her to join him in Milan for their honeymoon:"

April 1796:
I have your letters of the 16th and 21st. There are many days when you don’t write. What do you do, then? No, my darling, I am not jealous, but sometimes worried. Come soon; I warn you, if you delay, you will find me ill. Fatigue and your absence are too much.
Your letters are the joy of my days, and my days of happiness are not many. Junot is bringing twenty-two flags to Paris.
You must come back with him, you understand? — hopeless sorrow, inconsolable misery, sadness without end, if I am so unhappy as to see him return alone. Adorable friend, he will see you, he will breathe in your temple; perhaps you will even grant him the unique and perfect favor of kissing your cheek, and I shall be alone and far, far away. But you are coming, aren’t you? You are going to be here beside me, in my arms, on my breast, on my mouth? Take wing and come, come!
A kiss on your heart, and one much lower down, much lower!
B.
Napoleon was always pleading to kiss her below the belt in his letters.

Marmirolo, July 17, 1796
I have received your letter, my adorable friend. It has filled my heart with joy. I am grateful to you for the trouble you have taken to send me the news. I hope that you are better today. I am sure that you have recovered. I earnestly desire that you should ride on horseback: it cannot fail to benefit you.
Since I left you, I have been constantly depressed. My happiness is to be near you. Incessantly I live over in my memory your caresses, your tears, your affectionate solicitude. The charms of the incomparable Josephine kindle continually a burning and a glowing flame in my heart. When, free from all solicitude, all harassing care, shall I be able to pass all my time with you, having only to love you, and to think only of the happiness of so saying, and of proving it to you? I will send you your horse, but I hope you will soon join me. I thought that I loved you months ago, but since my separation from you I feel that I love you a thousand fold more. Each day since I knew you, have I adored you yet more and more. This proved the maxim of Bruyere, that "love comes all of a sudden," to be false. Everything in nature has its own course, and different degrees of growth.
Ah! I entreat you to permit me to see some of your faults. Be less beautiful, less gracious, less affectionate, less good, especially be not over-anxious, and never weep. Your tears rob me of reason, and inflame my blood. Believe me it is not in my power to have a single thought which is not of thee, or a wish I could not reveal to thee.
Seek repose. Quickly re-establish your health. Come and join me, that at least, before death, we may be able to say, "We were many days happy." A thousand kisses, and one even to Fortuna, notwithstanding his spitefulness.
BONAPARTE
He described himself as completely emotionally dependent on her, and put her on an enormous pedestal.

Verona, July 17, 1796
I write you, me beloved one, very often, and you write very little. You are wicked and naughty, very naughty, as much as you are fickle. It is unfaithful so to deceive a poor husband, a tender lover! Ought he to lose all his enjoyments because he is so far away, borne down with toil, fatigue, and hardship? Without his Josephine, without the assurance of her love, what is left him upon earth? What can he do?
We had yesterday a very bloody affair; the enemy has lost many men, and has been completely beaten. We have taken the whole country around Mantua.
Adieu, adorable Josephine; one of these nights your door will open with a great noise; as a jealous person, and you will find me on your arms.
A thousand loving kisses.
BONAPARTE

He complained that she barely wrote him back, but kept writing emphatically himself.

Shockingly...Josephine was having an affair.

FM5H4ox.gif

"During the First Italian Campaign Napoleon began to hear the rumors that Josephine was being unfaithful to him in his absence. He denied these rumors, even to himself, and his letters became even more passionate in response."

November 21, 1796
I am going to bed with my heart full of your adorable image… I cannot wait to give you proofs of my ardent love… How happy I would be if I could assist you at your undressing, the little firm white breast, the adorable face, the hair tied up in a scarf a la creole. You know that I will never forget the little visits, you know, the little black forest… I kiss it a thousand times and wait impatiently for the moment I will be in it. To live within Josephine is to live in the Elysian fields. Kisses on your mouth, your eyes, your breast, everywhere, everywhere.

While he proclaimed how he wanted to kiss her little black forest a thousand times, she was getting plowed by Chad:

wnjnHRc.jpg

Well, what passes for Chad in France, at any rate.

But we can all agree that his epaulets were enormous.

"Six days later he returned to her apartment in Milan, only to find it empty. Josephine had left for Genoa — most probably with army officer Hippolyte Charles, with whom she was suspected of having an affair. He waited nine days for her return, but the wait began to arouse his suspicions."

November 1796:
I don’t love you anymore; on the contrary, I detest you. You are a vile, mean, beastly slut. You don’t write to me at all; you don’t love your husband; you know how happy your letters make him, and you don’t write him six lines of nonsense…
Soon, I hope, I will be holding you in my arms; then I will cover you with a million hot kisses, burning like the equator.

"In mid-March 1798 Joseph's brother finally tells Napoleon outright of the rumors surrounding Josephine. Yet when he confronts her she denies everything, angrily suggesting that if he believes such lies he should divorce her. Privately she fumes against the Bonaparte family, who she believes are in league against her:"

I’m going to the country, my dear Hippolyte…Yes, my Hippolyte, my life is a constant torment! Only you can restore me to happiness. Tell me that you love me, that you love only me!… Adieu, I send you a thousand tender kisses... and I am yours, all yours.
Yes, my Hippolyte, they all have my hatred. You alone have my tenderness, my love. They must see how I abhor them from the frightful state I’ve been in… They see my regrets, my hopelessness at being deprived of seeing you as often as I desire to. Hippolyte, I’ll kill myself. Yes! I want to end a life which from now on can only be burdensome to me if it cannot be consecrated to you.
He contemplated suicide after finding out about the entanglement.

8r67Crk.gif

She denied it, of course, and realizing that she could lose her wealth and status, she tried to repair their relationship and started warming up to him. Eventually his family and friends slapped enough sense into him that he accepted the truth about Josephine. Our boy was so despondent that he didn't even want to conquer Europe anymore:

"The veil is torn…It is sad when one and the same heart is torn by such conflicting feelings for one person… I need to be alone. I am tired of grandeur; all my feelings have dried up. I no longer care about my glory. At twenty-nine I have exhausted everything."

Even worse, the letter was intercepted by Admiral Nelson and published in British newspapers, so the entire world found out that Josephine was cheating on him.

84RHupI.jpg

Eventually he divorced and remarried a 19 year old Austrian princess, Marie Louise, in part because Josephine couldn't get pregnant and Napoleon needed an heir. Josephine had tried to convince him that it was his fault that she couldn't conceive, but the truth was that she was too old. Once Napoleon started sleeping with mistresses to try to get over Josephine, and began getting them pregnant, he realized that he wasn't shooting blanks after all.

He reportedly loved Marie Louise intensely as well. His new bride reciprocated his affection, at least until the moment he lost power, at which point she briskly moved on to new lovers.

7gRv5h5.jpg

But he never got over his love for Josephine, keeping a locket with her favorite flower on his person after she died of a cold while he was in exile, and uttering her name on his death bed.

X7zQHye.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They could honestly make a college course out of the history of simps. At least as an elective. Interesting, helps teach you history, and useful for people today. I took other unconventional classes like history of conspiracies, history of food, etc. that were actually both great.

MrA

Banned
When he wasn't being cuck'd by his with he was being dunked on by another Chad, William Sydney Smith
Sir_William_Sidney_Smith_1802.jpg

He roasted napoleon from prison with an open letter and again after spanking napoleon in acre. Regularly beat French forces and captured French ships,
Smithbgets even better though as he was always the rebel with a heart of gold. Disobeying orders to save the day, taking better care of his enemies wounded than his enemies would, always living up to his word.
Then after napoleon was finished smith slavery is pretty messed up im going to fight that now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They could honestly make a college course out of the history of simps. At least as an elective. Interesting, helps teach you history, and useful for people today. I took other unconventional classes like history of conspiracies, history of food, etc. that were actually both great.
Good idea. Called something like Dysfunctional Love Throughout History

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
November 1796:
I don’t love you anymore; on the contrary, I detest you. You are a vile, mean, beastly slut. You don’t write to me at all; you don’t love your husband; you know how happy your letters make him, and you don’t write him six lines of nonsense…
Soon, I hope, I will be holding you in my arms; then I will cover you with a million hot kisses, burning like the equator.

Ok, what was his gaf username?

E-Cat

This may be an unpopular opinion, but at least he got to experience being in a relationship with someone he was completely infatuated with. Emotional dependency means being alive, like she really mattered to him.

It's easy to be "the man" and completely callous about a relationship when you're indifferent about the outcome either way.

I have never experienced being in a relationship with someone I'm completely, hopelessly in love with, and probably never will, so I guess I'm not a simp. Hooray?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This may be an unpopular opinion, but at least he got to experience being in a relationship with someone he was completely infatuated with. Emotional dependency means being alive, like she really mattered to him.

It's easy to be "the man" and completely callous about a relationship when you're indifferent about the outcome either way.

I have never experienced being in a relationship with someone I'm completely, hopelessly in love with, and probably never will, so I guess I'm not a simp. Hooray?
When it's mutual, I would say an intense codependent time being in love is a worthwhile experience to go through once. You might make a mess of it and everything else, but it's part of being human. When someone's using you for money and influence while cheating on you, and you're still hopelessly transfixed, it's an experience you can do without.
I mean, the poor dude was hung like a field mouse, so...
Welp, that certainly explains why all his love letters were about performing oral on his wife.

Cyberpunkd

She’s 70 and he’s 45?! Jesus.

They met when he was 15 and she was his drama teacher in school?! And he’s now stepfather to her children who are older than he is?!

Well then…
Yeah, that part was testing even French people tolerance (Mitterand had an out of wedlock daughter the world didn’t learn about till after his death).

Toons

Lots of dudes in history were seriously down bad. Even dudes who had access to TONS of women, somehow would always find one that they preferred and nothing would do but that one.

Its an interesting juxtaposition to the understanding these days of guys being less "emotionally invested".

Toons

Didnt napoleon also cheat on her in his time as well? Just seemed like nothing else would do for him

When it's mutual, I would say an intense codependent time being in love is a worthwhile experience to go through once. You might make a mess of it and everything else, but it's part of being human. When someone's using you for money and influence while cheating on you, and you're still hopelessly transfixed, it's an experience you can do without.

Welp, that certainly explains why all his love letters were about performing oral on his wife.
Wouldn't a penis that's been cut off and no access to blood flow or warmth be small anyway?

We need dick measurements when he was alive and well.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Friends, Hitler was a Manchild???, because he was a fan of Disney and he draw fanarts of Pinocchio, Snow White and the 7 dwarfs????

R.c910f81b82f080761fd52c94a093b2eb

R.5fb26cffcee7829612476689f362171d

Top Bottom