• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2018 |OT| Go Easy This Is My First Time

Dunki

Not much going on this season to be honest. But Spring looks like a ace season for my taste.

HOWEVER: I was browsing the Summer schedule and then I found this XD

Back Street Girls
A group of 3 yakuza failed their boss for the last time. After messing up an important job, the boss gave them 2 choices: Honorably committing suicide, or go to Thailand to get a sex reassignment surgery in order to become "female" idols. After a gruesome year long training to become idols, they successfully debut, with overwhelming popularity, much to their dismay. This is where their tragedy truly begins.

https://anilist.co/anime/100665/BackStreetGirls

This could either be totally awesome or totally stupid and bad but it caught my interest.

Last edited:
Have finished some Netflix animes in the last month, of what I'd consider Winter anime being Devilman Crybaby and B: The Beginning.

• Devilman Crybaby. That NGE . I liked the anime, especially the visuals, but got a bit annoyed with one character, Miki, who just seemed borderline Mary Sue. I was half expecting her to be some inhuman kind of person or supernatural being with the way she acted and never displayed much depth. Also, that tweet, or what it was, somehow changing things made me cringe. Reading some comments from manga readers, it seems that she was severely butchered in terms of how she's in the manga, and also Akira/Amon and Ryo as well. Might read the manga instead, even if the screenshots I've seen doesn't make it seem visually great. Hopefully it's available for purchase in english.

• B: The Beginning. The police side seemed very cliche and I got annoyed at the attempted pairing of the young detective and the older detective. It felt distracting, cliché, creepy for reasons in the plot and otherwise weird that they basically made her secretly a younger version of him. It was visually satisfying though and I liked the more supernatural parts. I liked that they didn't botch the ending at least, as I was worried they'd do up until that point.

KevinKeene

Banned
Not much going on this season to be honest.

Really? I'm having quite some fun:

Kokkoku is fantastic, really exciting, no boring filler, fast paced. Unlike most animre, its story will likely be perfectly wrapped up within its 12 episodes, too. And best opening by far.

Sora yori mo tooi basho is a super feel-good series with great animation and likable characters.

Koi wa ameagari no you ni is also fantastic, and deals with a topic that challenges most people's moral's. I wish them both the best, don't let ignorant society dictate what can and can't happen :)

Junji Ito Collection is hit and miss. Last episode was the most disgusting shit I saw since 2girls1cup. Can't decide which is worse ...

Not a must aee, but I love Idolish7. Best idol boys-anime I've seen.

Overlord S2 ... it would be becoming great if it had more episodes. ;/

Then there's DragonballSuper, ofc.

Only real let down is Darling in the Franxx. Worst mecha design ever, and every episode is so unnecessary sexual that I can't take anything seriously. Such production value wasted on a failed hentai anime.

Anyway, while not the best season, it's very solid. Spring looks better, but it relies too much on established franchises.

Junji Ito Collection is hit and miss. Last episode was the most disgusting shit I saw since 2girls1cup. Can't decide which is worse ...

I feel that the visuals, sound and the flow is what's making it hit and miss. I think the Souichi episodes work the best, because they've always been more comedic. A lot of episodes are supposed to be more eerie and about a concept, rather than just going for scare factor.
If it was more stylized or more realistic and making better use of shading, lighting and colors, it'd be better imo. You kinda need a good art direction when doing Itou Junji.

Just look at the colored versions of the beginning pages of Uzumaki:
c0be94f15a0ab4954e6ef35c0bacbf1a.jpg

1aukWR4NOoTIMdygObuLLucvJRp7qXobehJ8-bqQ7Ml7rnNPKPuxyetUFHdUmVjwWJua7lhSJhoXaKVeBu4i4A2e1MMJi9GGIjqWkzN8a8y-NSOUo-Y9S1ev

and contrast that with what you get in the anime (one of the few pictures of a character and environment I found)

For further comparison you can see the difference between the same scene in the anime and in the manga:

I also feel it was a mistake to do short stories for an anime. It'd better to do a good attempt at a long-going story like Uzumaki instead. Then again, when the art doesn't do it justice, then it's better that they didn't do it with a big one like Uzumaki.

Last edited:

Dunki

KevinKeene KevinKeene yeah it is just not my season.

I watch Yowamushi, Black clover and of course One Piece and DB Super but that is really it. I would love to watch 7 deadly sins season 2 but its kidn of a pain to get this and Netflix does not have currently running Animes except in Japan...

Next season however looks really cool for me^^

KevinKeene

Banned
;/

Why would you watch Black Clover? I dropped it after season 1. It's on the level of Naruto-filler, except Naruto started with Haku and Zabuza once ...

You really should look into non-shounen shows. Kokkoku is fantastic, give it a try :)

CoolNameGuy91

Neo Member
;/

Why would you watch Black Clover? I dropped it after season 1. It's on the level of Naruto-filler, except Naruto started with Haku and Zabuza once ...

You really should look into non-shounen shows. Kokkoku is fantastic, give it a try :)
Could read the manga which is quite good. I usually dislike people being manga purists, but this is a case where, aesthetically aside, the anime fails hard

Dunki

I really like typical shounen fight animes and while most of these are a bit boring in the beginning (One piece took like 40 eps to get really good. Or Hitman Reborn had 20 absolute awful first episodes.) this one got good pretty quick IMO. I have also read some of the manga and the current arc is great so far^^

CoolNameGuy91

Neo Member
I really like typical shounen fight animes and while most of these are a bit boring in the beginning (One piece took like 40 eps to get really good. Or Hitman Reborn had 20 absolute awful first episodes.) this one got good pretty quick IMO. I have also read some of the manga and the current arc is great so far^^
There seems to be a bias going around that you can't like Shounen and also like "deeper" stuff. Also, a lot of people dislike early HxH. Which I equate to One Piece, because both start good, and get great

Shouta

I caught up on a few shows the last few weeks, particularly Made in Abyss and Buddy Complex. The former because it was on my docket for since last year and the latter because of the upcoming Super Robot Wars game.

Made in Abyss was as good as I was hoping it would be. Great premise, excellent execution, perfect direction, etc. It's basically the only 9-yards. It's not my favorite show of 2017, that goes to Magical Circle Guru Guru 2017, but it's a firm second for titles that aired last year.

Buddy Complex actually surprised me. I passed over it back in 2014 as it didn't look very interesting but since the SRW staff picked it, I thought I should give it a chance. It's executed really well and the concept of the story is pretty neat but you can definitely tell that in order to complete their story, they had to keep from going into their characters too deeply. That's a real shame because that's probably what would have elevated the show from good or great to higher. Time travel plots tend to be extremely sloppy or difficult to understand but this show managed to buck both of those pretty well. Even the 2 OVAs, that were probably made in place of a second season, managed to show and tie-up what they were doing with the plot without major loose-ends. It really deserves some credit for doing all of that, lol.

Currently watching Overlord II and Boruto regularly this season while I'm sitting on Grancrest to get a bit further.

CoolNameGuy91

Neo Member
The best shounen/actually seinen arc ever animated? Of course :)
It's great, but that... thing... Gin does near the end is a bullshit power up if I ever saw one. Also it looks terrible. Also, their world is interesting, but it has nothing on the depth of One Piece's

It's great, but that... thing... Gin does near the end is a bullshit power up if I ever saw one. Also it looks terrible. Also, their world is interesting, but it has nothing on the depth of One Piece's

But it's something that's already established. We know the risk and reward factors of nen. Had it been about Alluka/Nanika, then I'd understand it, but the way nen works was established in the Yorkshin arc as far as I remember.

KevinKeene

Banned
Gon's power up made total sense and came at a hefty price. The manga currently hasn't shown Gon, so i'll concede that it could turn to bs.

Shounen snoren. 😴
I want tsundere comedies.

You are what's wrong with this industry. At least you don't watch moe magical girl stuff ... right?
🙈

theclaw135

Banned
Not really. The original Sailor Moon anime greatly toned down the manga's art style.

If I have to point fingers, it's the pacing problems of so many series. On one extreme anything like Inuyasha that keeps going and going.
While 13 episode shows risk being disposable. Little time for worldbuilding or to grow a lasting fanbase.

Unfortunately my own most favorite anime (Pokemon and Urusei Yatsura) fit squarely into the former category.
I just happen to love their type of humor enough to put up with it.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Not really. The original Sailor Moon anime greatly toned down the manga's art style.

If I have to point fingers, it's the pacing problems of so many series. On one extreme anything like Inuyasha that keeps going and going.
While 13 episode shows risk being disposable. Little time for worldbuilding or to grow a lasting fanbase.

Unfortunately my own most favorite anime (Pokemon and Urusei Yatsura) fit squarely into the former category.
I just happen to love their type of humor enough to put up with it.

I agree that there's a lack of 26 episodes anime. I like my long-running series,but something shorter can be nice, too. However unless it's a romantic or comedy anime, 13 episodes are too short for a properly told story.

And then Beatless gets 2 cour - why :/

theclaw135

Banned
The World of Narue is interesting. 12 episodes, dubbed by several Pokemon voice actors, and despite its UY-ish premise the main couple are MUCH more tolerable/sane people.

Don't think I've ever heard of Beatless.

Last edited:

CoolNameGuy91

Neo Member
But it's something that's already established. We know the risk and reward factors of nen. Had it been about Alluka/Nanika, then I'd understand it, but the way nen works was established in the Yorkshin arc as far as I remember.
To an extent, it's not a full was PULL, but I think moreso than someone made of runner using friction to superheat his body. Gon literally becomes a giant and possibly the strongest character ever in the shoe for 5 minutes and grows to like 7 ft and his hair becomes whatever stupid nonsense, then Killua has to spend just as long explaining what just happened cuz even knowing how Nen works, it still makes so little sense that he can just become all-powerful cuz he's super mad. Actually, ignore my first sentence

Dunki

I will be honest. The last memorable Animes in a 13 to 24 eps format and are no sport animes for me were these 3

But there are quite a few out soon that I am really excited about^^

Last edited:

Dunki

Youjo Senki was such a great surprise, indeed.
To me all of these were real surprises because it is normally not even my genre for cross Ange for example. The only Mecca anime i liked was Full Metal Panic but otherwise I could never endure many episodes of any Mecca anime. For Aleramin I never new about the Manga so I went in totally blind but was really hooked sucha shame that it will probably never be finished in Anime Form...

manfestival

is there going to be a new thread for the current season? I am curious about the new good series that I should be seeing. I know that my hero academy is back. Should start finally getting interesting as far as the story goes. Only got to chapter 100 when I read the manga but I know the goods are from the current show to then. I need more watching material since grancrest senki and overlord 2 are disappointing.

-Minsc-

Considering the speed of this thread I vote for someone to make a generic anime OT which is not confined to seasons.

bigedole

is there going to be a new thread for the current season? I am curious about the new good series that I should be seeing. I know that my hero academy is back. Should start finally getting interesting as far as the story goes. Only got to chapter 100 when I read the manga but I know the goods are from the current show to then. I need more watching material since grancrest senki and overlord 2 are disappointing.

I liked Overlord 2, though it definitely needed more Ainz. Hopefully he'll play a larger role in the 3rd season in the summer.

I just started watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki-San on Netflix, and by jove it's pretty funny. I had absolutely no expectations going in, has really pleasantly surprised me. I've got a pretty high bar for strictly comedy anime, but this has definitely made me literally LOL quite a bit.

Shouta

A more general purpose anime thread would make more sense.

Overlord II was really good but some of the elements could have been adapted in a more dynamic manner like the fights. I really do enjoy that the series explores its world through the lens of its main characters so I'm pretty happy to hear Season 3 is coming already.

manfestival

having to discover new and cool shows through horrible subs website is no thanks. it would be nice to have a general but I absolutely loved the format from neogaf where everything is just put there and I can kinda pick and choose or get suggestions and look over them on the main page. Just suddenly discovered that there is a new show(remake?) of legend of the galactic heroes just looking for the latest episode of black clover on there... cmon gaf. help a brother out. I dont follow anime like I did long ago but I do enjoy watching a show here and there

also what is that gundam ps4 game that lets you build gundams like all gunpla style but apparently its a good game?

Last edited:

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
having to discover new and cool shows through horrible subs website is no thanks. it would be nice to have a general but I absolutely loved the format from neogaf where everything is just put there and I can kinda pick and choose or get suggestions and look over them on the main page. Just suddenly discovered that there is a new show(remake?) of legend of the galactic heroes just looking for the latest episode of black clover on there... cmon gaf. help a brother out. I dont follow anime like I did long ago but I do enjoy watching a show here and there

also what is that gundam ps4 game that lets you build gundams like all gunpla style but apparently its a good game?
How about you help anime out instead of pirating?

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
I think continuing the tradition of having an official thread for each anime season showcasing all the new shows is still a worthwhile venture. Someone just has to care enough to do it. Having a separate general anime thread to discuss anime by and large is fine as well.

Overlord is officially the best Isekai there is, best anime this season as well for me. I've already finished vol. 7-10 of the Light Novel, after finishing season 1 and season 2. Season 3 is going to be sick, especially if it covers vol 7 and 9. I have a hard time imagining how they'll adapt Chapter 1 of vol 9. Or if another season hits, vol 10. They are really dependent on internal monologues. I really recommend that any fan of Overlord reads the Light Novels. 1-6 are available in hardcover (and Kindle?), 7 and 8 are releasing this year.

One thing Overlord does well is delegating the narration away from Ainz and to other characters and subplots that are connected to the overall story in the end. I imagine some didn't like the Lizard Man arc, but everything is expanding on the world, and vol 7 will definitely show that the decision to take a different narrative perspective and doing worldbuilding really makes the series great.

There's nothing better than vol 9 and 10's
display of Jircniv and Ainz's complete misunderstanding of each other. Breaking Jircniv is one of the most enjoying thing ever. Then you have Demiurge and Albedo thinking Ainz is some otherworldly mastermind, when he literally has lost control and has no idea what they're doing.

Pejo

Overlord is officially the best Isekai there is, best anime this season as well for me. I've already finished vol. 7-10 of the Light Novel, after finishing season 1 and season 2. Season 3 is going to be sick, especially if it covers vol 7 and 9. I have a hard time imagining how they'll adapt Chapter 1 of vol 9. Or if another season hits, vol 10. They are really dependent on internal monologues. I really recommend that any fan of Overlord reads the Light Novels. 1-6 are available in hardcover (and Kindle?), 7 and 8 are releasing this year.

One thing Overlord does well is delegating the narration away from Ainz and to other characters and subplots that are connected to the overall story in the end. I imagine some didn't like the Lizard Man arc, but everything is expanding on the world, and vol 7 will definitely show that the decision to take a different narrative perspective and doing worldbuilding really makes the series great.

There's nothing better than vol 9 and 10's
display of Jircniv and Ainz's complete misunderstanding of each other. Breaking Jircniv is one of the most enjoying thing ever. Then you have Demiurge and Albedo thinking Ainz is some otherworldly mastermind, when he literally has lost control and has no idea what they're doing.
My problem with Overlord S2 is how rushed it all felt. I didn't read the LN, but you can tell that there are all sorts of events and details that just didn't happen/happened off screen, because of how disjointed parts of it were. It felt like I watched 6-7 previews of different storylines, then 6-7 mini-arch endings. Still a refreshing point of view.

My favorite of the season has been the Outcast, though it's definitely getting a little stall-tactic happy. The past 5-6 eps felt like I was watching old Dragon Ball Z, with all the talking and not fighting. Too bad they couldn't keep the pace up from Season 1/early Season 2. I fucking hate tournament arcs in almost all anime, it always turns into this type of shit and then never ends in a satisfying way. Usually the final fight is made irrelevant by some big baddie interrupting the tournament. I reallllly hope that's not what's going on in this one.

Shouta

I see everyone is eating up all the new shows this season.

Gundam Divers is the only one I've had a chance to watch but there's other stuff I need to catch up on this season. Unless you were talking about last season where I still need to catch up there too. TOO MUCH CATCHING UP.

Cornbread78

Gundam Divers is the only one I've had a chance to watch but there's other stuff I need to catch up on this season. Unless you were talking about last season where I still need to catch up there too. TOO MUCH CATCHING UP.

No, more general commentary...... Low post count, not reaction posts, etc..... This was my home for so many years, but now........ It's just sad.

Shouta

No, more general commentary...... Low post count, not reaction posts, etc..... This was my home for so many years, but now........ It's just sad.

The volume of posting is down on the whole and the active anime watchers probably don't feel the need to post all the time. I certainly don't. The posters that made up the bulk of the old threads post numbers are gone too. It's just about at the expected volume, really.

You could post something and that may spark up some discussion. A new set of active posters could come in and it'll be lively.

Top Bottom