• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD finally launches digital tracking to address "long-standing need"

Moskalova

NPD finally launches digital tracking to address "long-standing need"

Today, NPD is finally taking that first step to offer a more complete picture of the entire games market as it's unveiled its digital point-of-sale (POS) sourced service, tracking SKU-level sales data on digital games.

The usual report on physical sales data will now be combined with digital sales data and issued on July 21 instead of July 14; it's expected to follow that cadence (the third data Thursday of the month) moving forward. Initially, NPD has gained the support of major publishers like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square Enix, Take-Two, Deep Silver and Warner Bros. There are notable exceptions, however, like Bethesda as well as first-party publishers like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, but NPD analyst Liam Callahan promised that more publishers would be signing on as the service evolves.

More in the link

tebunker

Banned
Have to wonder what they paid to get that access. Also sucks they don't have any of the big three as thats the real coup.

Obviously all three of them want to protect their gardens as much as possible but t would be cool to see what kind of sales data they have.

Nyoro SF

Time for the curtain to be pulled back on some of the crazy digital profiteering that's been going on. Been way too long.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Would self-published/indie titles be a blind spot forever for NPD then? Considering the rising popularity of self-publishing it will be... Oh let's call it interesting to see whether or not that becomes a factor in sales threads. Not like we get enough information from NPD for it to matter though :p

Squishy3

Will it?

I'd say that outside a very small number of exceptions, the consoles will continue outselling PC versions. Handily.
I'd think he probably means what the differences will be between retail (both brick and mortar and online like Amazon etc.) and digital marketplaces in terms of what games sell the most.

Vex_

Banned
uhhh... wouldnt this make NPDs LESS accurate in the grand scheme of things? Not having Nintendo, MS, and Sony for one is just gonna make things ....lopsided.

They dont have Atlus/Sega either? wtf?

Moskalova

Will it?

I'd say that outside a very small number of exceptions, the consoles will continue outselling PC versions. Handily.

NPD will notate next to game titles on the chart that do not include digital data. Callahan wants the service, which is being produced with the assistance of EEDAR, to ultimately be able to project data even for non-participants but NPD isn't starting with that ability just yet. Instead, it'll focus on tracking revenue from full-game downloads across Xbox Live, PlayStation Network and Steam. Services like Battle.net and Uplay won't be included at this point.

AmuroChan

So does that mean numbers will skew significantly towards 3rd party titles then since their numbers will be physical+digital while 1st party titles will be physical only? That could cause some 1st party titles to not even chart in the top 10.

Vex_

Banned
So does that mean numbers will skew significantly towards 3rd party titles then since their numbers will be physical+digital while 1st party titles will be physical only? That could cause some 1st party titles to not even chart in the top 10.

That's what Im saying what the fuck?

They probably will have an asterisk saying (*not including digital) or something like that.

Or maybe they will have to split the lists into digi+phy and just Phy.

AmuroChan

They probably will have an asterisk saying (*not including digital) or something like that.

That's going to be pointless though if the game doesn't make it in the top 10 because of the inflated numbers for 3rd party titles when it otherwise would've in the current system.

I think they should have two lists.

Gren

Does it really benefit Sony, MS or Nintendo to disclose those numbers? I mean they really only report digital when it's good numbers regardless. At least 3rd parties are on board.

What are the benefits for third-parties in disclosing their digital sales (serious question)? Whatever they are, I'd assume they'd apply to the first-parties as well.

Crayolan

Will it?

The big consistent sellers (minecraft, GTA, sports games) will always be consistent but with PC data you could see new PC releases which blow up in popularity occasionally rise to the top 10.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
No first party is very disappoint... though, Nintendo released A LOT of times digital sales in their NPD pro. I would say i'm disappoint only for Sony/MS.

They should give hard numbers PLUS best estimates of the other guys based on general digital sales trends. Sick of seeing the NDP reports talking about software being down year of year when its really just more of it going over to digital.

MS and Sony might budge since their titles will rank lower due to the others being higher with digital included.

Yup this is a reason right here. It'll look bad, though admittedly no consumer in general really cares about NPD so it's hard to say if that even matters.

donny2112

Does this mean monthly data will always be on the third Thursday of the month or just this one time?

Third Thursday of the data period, which is the third Thursday after the close of the previous retail month. Subtle but important distinction. Yes, it sounds like it'll be that going forward.

They are not doing the latter. One list mixing games with digital and ones without.

What are the benefits for third-parties in disclosing their digital sales (serious question)? Whatever they are, I'd assume they'd apply to the first-parties as well.

Third parties want to be able to benchmark. 1st parties can already see all sales on their systems so they don't benefit by sharing.

Cheerilee

Third parties want to know how well the other guy is selling, that way they get more context on how well they themselves are doing. The only way that happens is if they spill the beans on their own results first. NPD pays them, they pay NPD, money moves around, info moves around... it all sort of works.

Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft have automatic, free access to all the sales info from everyone who makes games under their umbrella. That makes them spoiled. Why should they give up data just to get data? Why should they pay for data? Better for them strategically if they just hoard the data advantage they have over their own allies.

SalvaPot

Yeah, no first parties is a huge oversight, I can already see threads justifying game X not getting first because game Y had digital tracking while game X didn't.

Yeah, no first parties is a huge oversight, I can already see threads justifying game X not getting first because game Y had digital tracking while game X didn't.

Yeah, on a one game basis I guess this could be useful but the moment you combine digital on some games and not on others, well, it pretty much makes any sort of ranking useless.

Sterok

Huh, I actually called this would happen this year. Nice that it's starting to happen, even in a limited fashion. More data is always good.

donny2112

Third Thursday of the data period, which is the third Thursday after the close of the previous retail month. Subtle but important distinction. Yes, it sounds like it'll be that going forward.

This also means the prediction thread would move out a week. Otherwise, there'd be a scant week between NPD results and the next prediction thread running for 2 weeks. (o_O)

Gren

Third parties want to be able to benchmark. 1st parties can already see all sales on their systems so they don't benefit by sharing.

Third parties want to know how well the other guy is selling, that way they get more context on how well they themselves are doing. The only way that happens is if they spill the beans on their own results first. NPD pays them, they pay NPD, money moves around, info moves around... it all sort of works.

Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft have automatic, free access to all the sales info from everyone who makes games under their umbrella. That makes them spoiled. Why should they give up data just to get data? Why should they pay for data? Better for them strategically if they just hoard the data advantage they have over their own allies.

Ah ok. I got confused & was thinking the big 3 would submit all the digital sales from their storefronts (like I assume the B&Ms do for retail), and not just for the stuff they publish themselves.

Conduit

Banned
No first-party!

boo-this-man-o.gif

Welfare

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the gist of things is

- Gain of digital sales for most 3rd parties, but not all and no 1st party.
- Loss of specific retail sales, only grouped with digital.
- Loss of platform rankings.
- Pushed back a week.

So, the public actual gets less data from now on, without the gain of anything without leaks? I'm all for getting a clearer picture for sales data, but come on. Ranking games will be completely useless unless there will be specific charts for retail only and then retail plus digital.

Fredrik

Showing retail+digital sales for third parties and retail only on first parties makes their ranking completely useless, there will be a gigantic elephant in the room in all their reports from now on.

Top Bottom