• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Dead in Shooting Outside UK Swimming Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36834293

Currently breaking news, all we know at this time is that 3 people have died outside a swimming pool in Spalding, Linconshire. I'll update when more details come in.

UPDATES:

BBC News said:
Those killed include the suspected gunman, Lincolnshire Police said, with no shots fired by the force.

BBC News said:
A force spokesman said there was no indication it was a "terror-related" incident.

Jezbollah

Yep, so as an FYI, this is the first "mass murder" incident in 6 years. Excluding 7/7 it'll be the second in 20 years (since Dunblane)

Still, we had Jo Cox's murder little more than a month ago? Are these kind of attacks increasing in frequency here or are the last few months taking a toll on my perspective...

I'm not saying we dont ever have murders here, just that unlike the other side of the pond where multiple murders are an every day ocurance they are pretty rare here

Edit - well from the post above even rarer than i imagined

Yep, so as an FYI, this is the first "mass murder" incident in 6 years. Excluding 7/7 it'll be the second in 20 years (since Dunblane)

I'm not saying we dont ever have murders here, just that unlike the other side of the pond where multiple murders are an every day ocurance they are pretty rare here

Yeah I'm definitely just melding all the horrible things that are happening in the world here. Just wonder what this guy's motivation was now.

I like we don't have gun ownership normalised in this country. Feels so much safer because of that.

dealer-

Still, we had Jo Cox's murder little more than a month ago? Are these kind of attacks increasing in frequency here or are the last few months taking a toll on my perspective...

There are now about 150 gun firearm/air gun offences a week in the UK compared to 460 around fifteen years ago. There has been a small rise in the last couple of years but nothing major.

Jezbollah

Even here in UK? Bloody hell.

How the fuck did that person acquire a firearm anyway?

Likely in three ways:

1) a legitimate firearms license (ie shotgun). We have extremely tough legislation for that
2) a very old firearm (some speculate like what was used in the Jo Cox incident)
3) obtaining a firearm from the black market.

I would suggest that 1) is the most likely scenario.

Meadows

Banned
Likely in three ways:

1) a legitimate firearms license (ie shotgun). We have extremely tough legislation for that
2) a very old firearm (some speculate like what was used in the Jo Cox incident)
3) obtaining a firearm from the black market.

I would suggest that 1) is the most likely scenario.

Yeah a lot of gun crime in the UK is from WW2 weapons that find their way into gangs, although obviously this is becoming less of a problem over time due to them starting to age and break.

Lead

Banned
Even here in UK? Bloody hell.

How the fuck did that person acquire a firearm anyway?
Well if you're a licensed hunter you can legally purchase say double barrel shotguns and bolt action rifles.

If you're not concerned with being lawful you can go on the darkweb and get just about anything shipped right to your door.

Wollan

Sounds like some love-triangle thing considering the shooter ended himself after taking out the two victims.

kmag

Thought the mass murder 'flag' was 4? The family killer who killed that Eastenders actress and her two kids didn't qualify as a mass murder did it?

spuckthew

Well if you're a licensed hunter you can legally purchase say double barrel shotguns and bolt action rifles.

You don't need to be a hunter to get a shotgun license. Sport shooting is a good enough reason (e.g. skeet / trap with clays). Also you can get pretty powerful air rifles without a license at all - although I believe that beyond a certain strength a license is of some kind is required.

Lead

Banned
You don't need to be a hunter to get a shotgun license. Sport shooting is a good enough reason (e.g. skeet / trap with clays). Also you can get pretty powerful air rifles without a license at all - although I believe that beyond a certain strength a license is of some kind is required.
Sure, hunting license is just by far the most common in Europe and for that matter the UK.

Also you can't legally get powerful airguns in the UK without a license, 12ftlbs is the limit for rifles and 6ftlbs for pistols, that's not near powerful enough to harm humans unless you're pointing the muzzle directly into the ear or eye socket or something.

For comparison, what is considered the absolute weakest cartridge made for rifles, the .22 Flobert delivers 21ftlbs of energy, and .22 flobert used to be a pasttime people shot inside bars and inside ones homes and so on.

Thought the mass murder 'flag' was 4? The family killer who killed that Eastenders actress and her two kids didn't qualify as a mass murder did it?

I thought it was more than 4. Didn't Raul Moat kill 4 people? And Dale Kregan? They weren't in the same short space of time though so maybe it means at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom