• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB rates Grandia III for PS4

Kyoufu

I'm told this is actually the best Grandia game so I'm very curious to see how it fares against G1 and G2.

Guymelef

I wonder if this will be published by Square Enix like the original release.
Square Enix on PS2 to PS4 games would be interesting.

NoKisum

Eh, so conflicted. My all-time favorite battle system, but the story and difficulty spike annoyed the fuck out of me.

Also, how is PSN dealing with the fact that the original game was on two discs?

Lucreto

Never released in Europe so I hope we get it this time.

Now release Grandia 1 and 2 as well and I will be extremely grateful.

If it's Square Enix I want Valkyrie Profile 2 next as I also never played that one.

(Also VP as a PSOne classic come on SE)

Tu101uk

I'm told this is actually the best Grandia game so I'm very curious to see how it fares against G1 and G2.
Someone told you that? Really?

I mean, it certainly has the best iteration of Grandia's IP battle system (and therefore one of the best turn-based RPG battle systems around), but its cliched story never really reaches the heights of the previous two mainline games, and I didn't really feel anything for most of the characters.

Played a US copy of this game time ago, since the UK/EU never got it, so my interest is piqued.

EDIT...
Your mom joins your party in this game. Always wanted to play it.
Yup, Grandia 1 and 3 moms are pretty boss, they're usually brought up in GAF's annual Mother's Day threads... :V

wrowa

It's not. May be the worst, depends if you count extreme or not.

The first game is the best, followed by two.
Are you implying Extreme is worse than 3? Because it isn't.

Still, I can't say no to Grandia. Will buy it day 1 if they release it in Europe as well.

Swordy

I remember this game, I really liked the beginning until two certain characters left your party, then it went downhill, both the gameplay and the story.

Nudull

Banned
So, judging from what I'm hearing, I'm better off playing 2 first? I still remember the X-Play review of Grandia III from a long time ago, thinking it seemed pretty decent.

Kyoufu

I wonder if this will be published by Square Enix like the original release.
Square Enix on PS2 to PS4 games would be interesting.

Well, Grandia 3 has been available for quite a while now on JP PSN. I believe GameArts published it on there despite Square-Enix being the original publisher.

Tu101uk

I remember this game, I really liked the beginning until two certain characters left your party, then it went downhill, both the gameplay and the story.
Pretty much. I only kept playing because the battle system was so good.

So, judging from what I'm hearing, I'm better off playing 2 first? I still remember the X-Play review of Grandia III from a long time ago, thinking it seemed pretty decent.
The stories between the three mainline games don't really link into each other so you can play what you want. 3 (in my opinion) has the best version of its famed battle system (adding air juggles and combos was too good), but for story you can't go wrong with 2 or especially 1, which is my favourite of the trio.

All of the Grandia games are worth playing just because of how ridiculously good the battle systems are (and they obviously got better as the series went on). But the original Grandia cast is probably one of the best group of characters in a RPG, so it's always hard to live up to that.

This will be Square's for PS2 to PS4 game, so that means the gate is open for them.

You were told incorrectly. You can make a solid arguement for either 1 or 2 but 3 is definitely not on the same level, at least as far as plot and presentation are concerned.

Battle system is still great though.

occelinho

Never released in Europe so I hope we get it this time.

Now release Grandia 1 and 2 as well and I will be extremely grateful.

Yup! Never played Grandia 3 thanks to this, so I'm really looking forward to it on PS4 now.
I will just get it from the US store if it's not coming to EU stores, but I'm pretty sure it will be released here too.

Terrible story. Meh characters but the battle system is so damn good. And the last boss theme is godly.

Grandia 2 was my personal fav of the series.

Taruranto

If anything this is the worst Grandia. The plot is particularly bad, the end part is so rushed that a minor villain complete disappears without any explanation. (as in: One CS is here, the other is gone from the game like he never existed!)

It does have the best battle system in the series, since unlike 1 and 2 it maintains a difficulty level all the way to the end, but everything else is a disaster.

It's basically FFXIII on PS2.

I never got to complete grandia xtreme though. I tried last year but I think the game aged so bad for me:(

No saving allowed in dungeons also killed it for me. I know you can use geo warp points back to the town to save but its like 1 per level far in between😔

Wonder what the games' composer does now. So good

Nudull

Banned
I never got to complete grandia xtreme though. I tried last year but I think the game aged so bad for me:(

No saving allowed in dungeons also killed it for me. I know you can use geo warp points back to the town to save but its like 1 per level far in between😔

I've been told that Xtreme wasn't very good...

Syril

Noriyuki Iwadare? He's still active. He's been composing for the Ace Attorney games lately.

Indelible

The story was pretty lackluster but it has probably my favorite battle system ever, definitely worth a playthrough for anyone that hasn't experienced it.

Shahed

The best Grandia battle system.

By far the worst story and characters though. And I mean by far. The mother is the only decent character.

Sweet. Of course Grandia 1 and 2 are better (In fact Grandia 1 is tied in first place with Skies of Arcadia and Resonance of Fate as my favourite JRPG's), but great to see this coming to PS4. I look forward to playing again with trophies.

ZoddGutts

G3 felt so odd, like the story and character details in between wasn't written, everything felt so rushed, was so hyped for this game, it's not bad but it's nowhere as good as the first two games. Graphically remember it being good and the gameplay/combat still being fun.

Top Bottom