• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi increases stakes on Ubisoft, up to 22.8%.

Aces&Eights

We need an Assassin's Creed map showing what parts of Ubisoft are under enemy control. They could make a mobile tower defense game out of it.

7drHiqr.gif

I don't think I want it to happen tho :/

Kalentan

So is it likely the Ubisoft we know now will "die" when this happens? Like at the very least they won't make any of their little projects anymore?

Badoink

Banned
What's the point when they officially take over the company? Is it a simple majority of shares, or another obtuse percentage?

They need to announce a tender offer after passing 30% and at this point it will be clear if they want to take it all or no (and yeah, they most likely do). You need 50% to take over a board.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible for Ubi to buy back some stocks in order to prevent this hostile takeover?

Ooccoo

IPs mean nothing if you don't have talent

What I mean is, if they do take over UBI, there will be a mass exodus of talent splitting into different studios. Then the popular IPs will be of less quality, and ultimately "worthless."

This feels really sad to me. I have a ton of problems with Ubi stuff but I can't fault them for putting out some good games and it feels like they really got back on track the last couple of years. Syndicate, Rainbow Six: Siege, and now Watch_dogs 2 all show signs of serious improvement over what they were putting out before.

Kill3r7

What I mean is, if they do take over UBI, there will be a mass exodus of talent splitting into different studios. Then the popular IPs will be of less quality, and ultimately "worthless."

Do you really envision a mass exodus? Where exactly are the thousands of Ubi employees going?

roytheone

Isn't that what happened with CoD? Many of the core talent left, yet they still are doing fine.

Badoink

Banned
There's a lot of negativity about it but I don't think it will change anything in Ubisoft's games. It's not like it's Vivendi that made Activision release Call of Duty every other week.

Vivendi are going to commit another hostile takeover aren't they?
This sucks for Ubisoft majorly, not a massive fan of their games anymore but can see their appeal for others and here I'm hoping they don't get screwed over.

vypek

This feels really sad to me. I have a ton of problems with Ubi stuff but I can't fault them for putting out some good games and it feels like they really got back on track the last couple of years. Syndicate, Rainbow Six: Siege, and now Watch_dogs 2 all show signs of serious improvement over what they were putting out before.

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind in that it seems that Ubi is really trying to change things around for themselves and improve on their games like listening to the criticisms for the first Watch Dogs and skipping an Assassin's Creed this year and letting it rest.

What is the best case scenario here? Vivendi takes over and lets Ubi continue to do how they would regardless and Vivendi just sits there taking a piece of the pie?

No it's 22.8% of the shares, and and 20.2% of voting rights.
Planning: Probably a new board of administrators with Vivendi people on Q4, actual takeover in 2017.

What? No, that's what they have now. At 30% shares, French law triggers a mandatory takeover offer to purchase the remaining 20% in order for a 50% stake and control of the company. That said, the rest of the shareholders don't need to sell, so it still isn't a guarantee - but that's exactly what happened with Vivendi and Gameloft.

Even at their current shares and voting rights percentages, they still aren't guaranteed board seats.

Lucumo

Of even lesser quality? Anyway, I'm cheering Vivendi on. Go Vivendi!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Why would all the talent quit their jobs? The implicit assumption in this kind of scaremongering is that the Evil New Owners will be Very Evil, not like the current owners Who Are Really Really Great, and so all the Talent will just go Get Other Jobs or whatever. I get why the Guillemots need to use the threat of an employee exodus to try to marshal shareholders onto their side, I don't get why regular people would place much stock in that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So, two serious questions.

1.) Where will they all go?

2.) Why would they want to leave their current jobs?

Patryn

Vivendi are going to commit another hostile takeover aren't they?
This sucks for Ubisoft majorly, not a massive fan of their games anymore but can see their appeal for others and here I'm hoping they don't get screwed over.

"Going to"?

What do you think they're currently doing?

BasilZero

Can someone tell me what would happen if they would get hold of Ubisoft?

I mean is it the way the games are made, distributed, or what?

Well it was nice knowing you Ubisoft. It's always wild to me that stuff like this happens. It's always felt like it should be illegal and yet here we are.

spookyfish

Could UBI a) release people from non-compete contracts, b) have them set up another company, and then c) sell their IPs?

Is that possible?

I mean, f**k Vivendi. This is bullshit.

aeolist

Banned
Why would all the talent quit their jobs? The implicit assumption in this kind of scaremongering is that the Evil New Owners will be Very Evil, not like the current owners Who Are Really Really Great, and so all the Talent will just go Get Other Jobs or whatever. I get why the Guillemots need to use the threat of an employee exodus to try to marshal shareholders onto their side, I don't get why regular people would place much stock in that.

the same reason regular people think sony is their friend who wants the best for them

people anthropomorphize even the most soulless and profit-driven corporations and feel as if getting bought is some kind of tragedy unless the purchaser is a "good" company

Patryn

Yeah I still don't get it either, they owned and got rid of ATVI before after all.

They had a cashflow problem at the time, and they managed to send Activision off saddled with a lot of debt for the company.

They've cleaned things up and want to get back into games. EA and Activision are too big to acquire, so they went for the next biggest.

What would really change if they took over?
When they took over Activision they just started forcing out games from their IPs every year, lowering quality and over saturating the market but with Ubi already doing that..?

Pooya

Can someone tell me what would happen if they would get hold of Ubisoft?

I mean is it the way the games are made, distributed, or what?

Instead of Yves Guillemot, you will see some other guy at e3. He isn't a bad CEO and cares about games somewhat, you can definitely get a more risk averse management easily but probably things won't change too much from right now. There won't be any mass exodus. It's not like Vivendi didn't own a gaming company before, they were Blizzard's parent company for years and it was just fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Could UBI a) release people from non-compete contracts, b) have them set up another company, and then c) sell their IPs?

Is that possible?

I mean, f**k Vivendi. This is bullshit.

d*mn this ownage is insane makes u wonder y no one dos this ugh f*ck

roytheone

What would really change if they took over?
When they took over Activision they just started forcing out games from their IPs every year, lowering quality and over saturating the market but with Ubi already doing that..?

Pretty sure this AC year skip wouldn't have happened under Vivendi.

Top Bottom