• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer shot in Kansas City, in critical condition (up: died)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hope he pulls through.

i'm curious about the original source though, anyone have a list of all known banned sources?

Barzul

Not making assumptions, police getting shot is sadly within reasonable expectation/possible in their chosen field. I hope he pulls through.

Sigh....

The domino effect is starting.

I hope he/she pulls through.

There's a difference between a systematic targeting and killing of police officers and violent crime in general. I don't know what the statistics are but it's not as though officers do not die in the line of duty every year. The difference is that we choose to ignore many of these deaths as a society as somehow routine and that's a shame. Hell, it's also a shame that so many shooting deaths go unnoticed as well.

Are we nearing a point where Martial Law could be imposed or are we still far from that?

I can't imagine cops getting killed for being cops on a regular basis lasting long before some sort of military crackdown.

nilbog21

Banned
KCK is pretty ghetto. I wouldnt be suprised if cops get shot down there all the time

i'd wager that the public eye is just paying attention to these stories more in light of current events[

this

JDHarbs

Been watching local news since it broke. None of them have reported on air that he died yet. Press conference at the top of the hour.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
i'd wager that the public eye is just paying attention to these stories more in light of current events
Maybe that's part of it, but the rate at which cops are being shot this year is up something like +100% over the previous year considering we just had two incidents in which many died.

TheShocker

Horrible. I'm truly at a loss for words. I don't work for KCK, but this is entirely too close to home. RIP brother.

Maybe that's part of it, but the rate at which cops are being shot this year is up something like +100% over the previous year considering we just had two incidents in which many died.

you got a source for that? otherwise no it isn't. more cops die by auto accidents and suicide than being shot in the line of duty.

Nephtes

you got a source for that? otherwise no it isn't. more cops die by auto accidents and suicide than being shot in the line of duty.

According to USA Today, 41 cops were shot last year...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/07/08/nationwide-police-shooting-deaths/86861082/

At the time of the article we were at 26 cop shooting deaths for this year. At this time last year we were at 18 deaths. I don't think that count includes the Baton Rouge officers...

You guys have some serious fucking issues down there.

Edit: I don't mean that to sound condescending, I mean itbfrom a place of shock. Everything that has been going on this past week and continuing to happen is just so jarring.

HeySeuss

Typically that is true, however this year there have been 32 officer's killed by shootings so far this year, up 100% over this time last year. Automobile accident are consistently the highest category of officer deaths, but this year so far there have only been 26 officers killed in traffic crashes which is down 7% over last year.

If you go to www.odmp.org it gives the obituary for every officer killed and you can track years and trends.

Edit there is no tracking metric for officer suicides, although you're right that is a very common problem as well. Those stats aren't tracked because they don't happen while on duty typically.

Tedesco!

He was a Captain, so odds are he was just in the area when the call came out. That area gets calls all the time about shootings, so he probably figured it was just another routine interview.

Boney

Banned
Why was he shot? It's different when it's the specific shootings that are targeting cops from ones like the drive by that was chased by the officer who then got shot.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. It's horrible someone died but it's a normal line if duty death... Feels like OP was trying to imply it was something it's not.

You guys have some serious fucking issues down there.

Edit: I don't mean that to sound condescending, I mean itbfrom a place of shock. Everything that has been going on this past week and continuing to happen is just so jarring.
You're right, we're all fucked up. No police officer has ever died in another country in the line of duty. We're all just savages.

Are we nearing a point where Martial Law could be imposed or are we still far from that?

I can't imagine cops getting killed for being cops on a regular basis lasting long before some sort of military crackdown.
Martial law over a line of duty death that have occurred since policemen existed? What world do you people live in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom