• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange Episode 1 is free on all platforms starting today

Loudninja

All Platforms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W29uOjrz318

Hi everyone. It’s been a little while since you heard from us but we wanted to share something special with you today. Starting on 21st July* we will be giving away Life is Strange Episode 1: Chrysalis entirely for free on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4! This offer is available to everyone (regardless of whether you’re a PS Plus subscriber or not) and will run indefinitely.

Just in case you’re not yet familiar with Life is Strange, this brand new trailer should help get you started:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=755749780567896064&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

FelipeMGM

Not PS4 and PS3 only, but on all platforms (PC, Mac, PS4, PS3, XB1, X360)

And yeah, its an amazing game, everyone should try

EDIT: This is the official press release BTW
Square Enix and DONTDOD Entertainment today announce that the first episode of the award-winning and critically-acclaimed narrative driven game LIFE IS STRANGE™ will be available to download for free on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Mac and PC starting indefinitely from July 21, 2016. To celebrate, there is a brand new trailer showing Max and Chloe in action that is available now.

Check out the brand new LIFE IS STRANGE Episode 1 Free trailer on YouTube here:

“Although our team set out to create an award-winning narrative we still cannot believe the response we’ve had from players of Life is Strange” said Oskar Guilbert, CEO of DONTDOD Entertainment. “We’re really glad that Square Enix have decided to give the first episode away for free so more players can begin their journey and see why people have fallen in love with the game for themselves.”

As well as winning the BAFTA for Best Story, the Peabody Award, the Golden Joystick’s Performance of the Year and The Game Awards’ Games for Impact Award, LIFE IS STRANGE has garnered over 75 Game of the Year awards and listings.

“By making the first episode of Life is Strange free, we’re really excited to welcome new players to the world of Arcadia Bay and our passionate, vibrant community” said Jon Brooke, VP Brand and European Marketing at Square Enix, “We’re incredibly pleased with the awards that the series has won to date as well as the support that our community have given us throughout the campaign.”

LIFE IS STRANGE follows the story of Max Caulfield, a photography senior who discovers she can rewind time while saving her best friend Chloe Price. The pair soon finds themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of fellow student Rachel Amber, uncovering a dark side to life in Arcadia Bay.

MilkyJoe

Can't recommend this game enough. Seriously the only game I have ever played that "moved me" if you will...

+Aliken+

Isn't there a demo also out, what is the demo?
I assumed it was a part of the first Episode. Can someone confirm this?

Still getting hold of this as it is the full Episode.

Isn't there a demo also out, what is the demo?
I assumed it was a part of the first Episode. Can someone confirm this?

Still getting hold of this as it is the full Episode.

The demo is a portion of the first act of episode one. From the start of the game through to just after you stop Chloe getting shot.

This'll replace the demo, naturally.

Carl

Everyone should play and enjoy the first 4 episodes.

And pretend episode 5 doesn't exist. Whatever you think will happen is 100000x better than what actually does happen

Cyneck

Banned

And pretend episode 5 doesn't exist. Whatever you think will happen is 100000x better than what actually does happen

Don't listen to this man. The good ending is worth it.

Spinky

Loved this game, when I was actually playing it. Got about halfway through the second-to-last episode, then had to go away for a few months and couldn't play. Tried to finish it a few weeks ago, and not only had I forgotten a bunch of the story but I just didn't feel like carrying on anymore, for whatever reason.

Might have to start it again soon, it was damn good when I was actually into it.

FelipeMGM

Noooo, despite the weird pacing EP5 has a couple of the best moments of the entire series.
It does have a couple of the dumbest ones as well tho
And I loved the ending

topplehat

Glad they are giving it away, it's worth playing but I do think it's a bit pretentious/melodramatic (I guess it makes sense since it's high school kids at an art school).

Syntsui

Everyone check it out. I can't stress enough how powerful this game was to me. By far one of the most incredible experiences I've had with a virtual product.

Episode 5 is some David Cage level shit.
Like a David Cage game, it gets goofier and more outlandish as it goes on.
Stops it from being a great or well written game.

It's just good. That's what people who've never played it should set their expectations.

kromeo

Shame the first chapter is by far the worst. Think it was about half way through chapter 2 it started to get interesting?

Rellik

Shame the first chapter is by far the worst. Think it was about half way through chapter 2 it started to get interesting?

I actually hated the demo which is start of Ep.1 but still took the chance on the full game. Glad I did in the end.

Nudull

Banned
This game started off well, but then just took a nosedive all the way to the end. Seriously, who thought the ending choice was a good idea?

Don't do this. Don't EVER do this. Play episode five and make your own mind up there, but I feel - depending on what ending you get (
Bay over Bae
) - it's brilliant.

MilkyJoe

This game started off well, but then just took a nosedive all the way to the end. Seriously, who thought the ending choice was a good idea?

What fucked me off the most is

you choose the end. The end should have been the sum of the choices you made throughout the game

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was also a bit disappointed by the ending, but everything leading up to is pretty good and definitely worth a playthrough.

Also: the soundtrack is amazing and fits the game really well, one of the best things about LiS

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Time to Go Ape!

WarrenSMSPicture1.png

Javin98

Banned
Hella yes! I just finished it last week and really loved it. Hopefully the other episdoes will be sold at a discount too, then I'll bite.

bunkitz

Oh wow, that's cool. I don't think it's as great as everyone says it is, but it's a good game, alright. And I love that sketchy outline style so much.

MilkyJoe

What you're suggesting is missing the entire point though

No, what's the first thing the games says when you turn it on?
What you decide changes the outcome (or something along those lines), choose wisely.

Edit OK that's how the story is written,
but I argue, it shouldn't have been written to that final choice, it should have been written so that choices you make decide the Chloe's fate, not you at the last moment. That would have given it more replay value for starters and I am playing it through again at the moment, deliberately choosing different choices and it;s not really changing anything, and I just finished episode 3.

Akai__

Easily a GOTY. It's just a brilliant game. Everyone should give it a try.

Also:

90AHa5c.png

Have the same issue, but it's great to see that Microsoft has been ignoring this for several months now...
/s

Top Bottom