• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush: ‘We’ve Never Been Stay The Course’

Status
Not open for further replies.
STEPHANOPOULOS: James Baker says that he’s looking for something between “cut and run” and “stay the course.”

BUSH: Well, hey, listen, we’ve never been “stay the course,” George. We have been — we will complete the mission, we will do our job, and help achieve the goal, but we’re constantly adjusting to tactics. Constantly.

BUSH: We will stay the course. [8/30/06]

BUSH: We will stay the course, we will complete the job in Iraq. [8/4/05]

BUSH: We will stay the course until the job is done, Steve. And the temptation is to try to get the President or somebody to put a timetable on the definition of getting the job done. We’re just going to stay the course. [12/15/03]

BUSH: And my message today to those in Iraq is: We’ll stay the course. [4/13/04]

BUSH: And that’s why we’re going to stay the course in Iraq. And that’s why when we say something in Iraq, we’re going to do it. [4/16/04]

BUSH: And so we’ve got tough action in Iraq. But we will stay the course. [4/5/04]
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/22/bush-stay-the-course/

I said um, errr...well I guess...wow?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Heard this on the radio. Had me YELLING at the radio. He's obviously counting on idiots with short memories. And just you watch -- none of the "Flip Flopper!" defense force from the '04 elections will be calling this a flip flop, either.

Absolutely disgusting. And no, it's not "enough" that the President is "changing his mind." He's not. He's insisting that he never had this absolute policy, which as ANYONE who's been paying any attention at all knows is patently false. God forbid the administration should admit that they were wrong.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Bush can't tell the goddamn truth.

BUT
HE
CAN
DANCE

BAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

36741.gif

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Could this guy be more shameless? He makes me want to believe in hell, just so he burn eternally there.

It's not even a sentence.... Of course they haven't been stay the course. It's impossible to be stay the course. Who put these imcompetent twats in office... It's a joke really.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
:lol :lol :lol

Holy shit, I'm almost to the point of admiring the guy for his sheer audacity and brazeness. There can't be anybody in America who thinks less of the public's collective intelligence than our President.

monchi-kun said:
i do wonder...if the families/descendants of really BAD presidents ever face some form of public stigma
Reagan's kid is well liked last I checked. I imagine it's more of a standing on your own feet thing.

Boogie

kablooey said:
If you're Sean Hannity, sure he is. Rest of the country's a bit more ambivalent, I'd think.

Really? I'm not American, but I took it for granted that most Americans believe Reagan "won the Cold War"

Bezz

Banned
What a tard, but I dont blame him...

I blame all the dumbasses who voted for him, you know who you are

temp

posting on contract only
Seems to me that, before, he was saying "stay the course" in the sense that they should continue in Iraq, but here he means that they've never stayed the course in that they never stuck to a single set of tactics in Iraq. So it's just a case of inconsistent terminology instead of being shamelessly inconsistent.

Boogie said:
Really? I'm not American, but I took it for granted that most Americans believe Reagan "won the Cold War"

Some do... But then others think that's a fairly simplistic analysis of something. Like saying FDR won World War 2.

It takes something that was somewhat complex and boils it down into the most simple viewpoint so one party and one man can take credit for something.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Boogie said:

For every person who wants to rename an airport after Reagan, there is someone who throws up a little in their mouth.

At least I hope so.

temp said:
but here he means that they've never stayed the course in that they never stuck to a single set of tactics in Iraq.

They've "stayed the course" in that sense too. He is just trying a new spin tactic here. This one won't work either.

Boogie

Stoney Mason said:
Some do... But then others think that's a fairly simplistic analysis of something. Like saying FDR won World War 2.

It takes something that was somewhat complex and boils it down into the most simple viewpoint so one party and one man can take credit for something.

Umm, this is America we're talking about here. Need I remind you of your current president? The one this topic is about, who practically got elected by "simplistic analysis"?

GoutPatrol said:
For every person who wants to rename an airport after Reagan, there is someone who throws up a little in their mouth.

At least I hope so.

The latter sentence is my point. The fact that GAF Americans hate Reagan doesn't mean shit.

If GAF demographics held true for the rest of America, the nation would only be 10% Christian ;P

temp

posting on contract only
Yeah, I remember on the last couple of "greatest presidents" lists, Reagan was near the top.

Boogie said:
Umm, this is America we're talking about here. Need I remind you of your current president? The one this topic is about, who practically got elected by "simplistic analysis"?

American don't tend to change presidents in a time of war (especially early on). That explains Bush's election as much as any sort of simple analysis.

Not every American believes the Reagan ended the Cold War. And to be honest in today's political scene all the political capital that could have been earned from claiming such a thing has long been spent. America doesn't even remeber the Cold War at this point.

Boogie

Stoney Mason said:
American don't tend to change presidents in a time of war (especially early on). That explains Bush's election as much as any sort of simple analysis.

Not every American believes the Reagan ended the Cold War. And to be honest in today's political scene all the political capital that could have been earned from claiming such a thing has long been spent. America doesn't even remeber the Cold War at this point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4631421.stm

I'm really tired of arguing with people who talk out their ****ing ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_U.S._Presidents#Popular_opinion

monchi-kun said:
didn't the cold war end because Russia couldn't keep it together?

Some people say it was inevitable and to claim "credit" for such a thing is like claiming credit for the wind knocking down a tree.

Others claim by spending such much on defense (and creating record deficits) Reagan hastened the end by forcing the Soviet Union to try and keep pace.

And there are other arguments that have nothing to do with these two and depict it being solely and internal battle within the Soviet Union that caused the collapse.

You can find historians on different sides and different arguments.

Boogie

Stoney Mason said:
Honest to goodness I have no ****ing clue what point you are arguing. So If I find a poll that conflicts with yours then that means I'm right right!

Jeez. Get a ****ing clue!

My point at this point is that you say stupid shit.

I made the statement: "duh. Reagan is revered :p"

then:

"I'm not American, but I took it for granted that most Americans believe Reagan "won the Cold War"

Then you took issue with my statement for no ****ing reason, since my statement was an entirely reasonable one.

Pimpwerx

SteveMeister said:
Heard this on the radio. Had me YELLING at the radio. He's obviously counting on idiots with short memories. And just you watch -- none of the "Flip Flopper!" defense force from the '04 elections will be calling this a flip flop, either.

Absolutely disgusting. And no, it's not "enough" that the President is "changing his mind." He's not. He's insisting that he never had this absolute policy, which as ANYONE who's been paying any attention at all knows is patently false. God forbid the administration should admit that they were wrong.
You liberals try exercising revisionist history at every turn. We never accused Saddam of having WMDs, we never said we were gonna catch Bin Laden, and we never said we were gonna stay the course. Those previous quotes were all taken out of context...as is the video and audio footage. I claim the R. Kelly defense on that one. The vast left-wing conspiracy photoshopped Bush onto that aircraft carrier and into those press conferences. ;) PEACE.

I never said most Americans don't believe Reagan won the cold war. My dispute is with percentages. Most Americans can imply 51%. Most Americans can imply 70%. I'm saying that percentage isn't in the 70% percentile range. It could be above the 50% range. In that you are correct. I was simply stating that not every American agrees with this. In fact a large percentage don't. I would need to see an exact study stating that question to accurately determine that percentage at this moment.

While that would be interesting either way it still has nothing to do with whether the statement is true which is a seperate debate.

Boogie

Stoney Mason said:
Your orignal statement was dumbass as it contines to be. You said "Everyone" belives Reagan won the cold War. That implies to me nearly everone one in this country believes that which is not the case with the American People nor historians. Stick to MMA debates when you start throwing out the term "Everyone believes X".

And you're showing just how ****ing retarded you are. I said:
"duh. Reagan is revered :p"
then
"I'm not American, but I took it for granted that most Americans believe Reagan "won the Cold War"

Do you see the goddamned word "everyone" in there, you ****ing moron? No, didn't think so.

So I think you're the one who should shut the **** up.

Dumbass. I'd tell you to "stick to x", but I don't think we've found a topic yet that you can talk about without looking like a tool.

Boogie said:
And you're showing just how ****ing retarded you are. I said:
"duh. Reagan is revered :p"
then

Do you see the goddamned word "everyone" in there, you ****ing moron? No, didn't think so.

So I think you're the one who should shut the **** up.

Dumbass. I'd tell you to "stick to x", but I don't think we've found a topic yet that you can talk about without looking like a tool.

I apologize about the everyone comment. You are correct. That was not there and I was in the wrong for stating that. I mis-read your statement and that was my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom