• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony announce a psVita2/psp3 in response of the nintendo NX being an handheld?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lol man, Sony's handheld business is completely dead and they certainly have not expressed any love to the space.

Vita was an awesome platform for hardcore gamers but bombed hard mainstream. Expect to see all the RPGs migrate to,NX.

Harusame

I am going to side on the no side as well. Even though I play on the Vita from time to time, my love for the Vita has sadly dissipated away. I don't see much of a logical rationale, be it from business or a consumer standpoint, to possibly continue the Sony handheld line...other than a rationale that is based on emotion.

If they where gonna make a new handheld we would probably have heard rumours by now.

It's dead. Unfortunately. Vita was a sexybit of kit but Sony failed it hard.

Slaythe

No. For nearly 30 years, not one company has succeeded in beating Nintendo in the handheld market.

Sony failed twice. It's best if they focus on something they are successful in.

FFS.

It's not about beating Nintendo. It's about making a decent product that sells. Beating Nintendo is irelevant.

MikeyB

I'm of the view that they should relaunch the Vita and the PSTV without the memory card fuckery. They're both great little systems that failed because they didn't market them well.

As an aside, I was in an EBGames (effectively GameStop) today and there were display Vitas all over the place, several boxes in display cases, but the store only had one scuffed used Vita, no plans to get more, and a total of four games in the store. So sad.

Even further aside,I keep thinking about buying a Vita. I already have a PS TV, and since I have those dumbass memory cards, I guess I may as well, right?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The market Sony is interested in is already satisfied with iOS. They're better sticking to what they know.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
FFS.

It's not about beating Nintendo. It's about making a decent product that sells. Beating Nintendo is irelevant.

Well Vita doesn't fit that description either so its best Sony wrap it up here.

Fredrik

Nope. They completely dropped the first party support for Vita and left it to die long before they had to. Vita 2 won't happen.

farisr

No thanks. I'd rather all the effort that would go towards creating games for the handheld, go towards making ps4/console games instead.

Sorcerer

I am sure it will be a while, Sony is scrambling to come up with some kind of proprietary memory card in the meantime.

Sony are not making anymore handhelds, which is disappointing since Vita is really a great game system, but the market is not there for a Sony handheld.

Xenus

Lol man, Sony's handheld business is completely dead and they certainly have not expressed any love to the space.

Vita was an awesome platform for hardcore gamers but bombed hard mainstream. Expect to see all the RPGs migrate to,NX.

Pretty much as a system I love it. Nice amount of power and the OLED screen was nice. But as a business venture it was a horrible failure in a market that is increasingly encroached upon by smartphones and tablets. Essentially there is no room for them to sell PSP like numbers ever again and margins are likely to be very slim so there is really no point in investing there for anyone but Nintendo.

Xenus

How about they just let you use a DualShock 4 with the current Vita and call it a day? :)

New PSVita with MicroSD, 5ghz wifi, and latest generation OLED screen would make me so happy. But it's not selling enough for such a redesign to be worth it.

CamHostage

It's a terrible idea, and I say yes to it!

Honestly, this continuous "Everything's over" attitude doesn't seem to have any more of a grasp on reality than those of us clinging to hope of new portables. I don't expect it to rebound and things to go back to normal, but I don't see any reason why some different approach couldn't come along and interest people in a game machine that's not tied to the TV. And especially with the slowing evolution in the PC/console tech field compared to the rocket-fast mobile market, there's becoming less and less need for a gigantic box when massive power can be fit in a tiny case. Apple and Google are trying to put their mobile library on a television, Nintendo seems to be interested in taking its television experience away from the television, Sony tried it a couple of different ways with PSP Minis and Xperia Play and Cross-Buy and PS TV and other initiatives ... some day somebody (and more likely everybody) will have product that works both at home and on the go. Sony and Microsoft will not make a dedicated-games portable machine again, but there's becoming less and less a barrier to making its dedicated game machines in a portable form as well as a set-top box. Over time, the hurdle stopping them will be more marketability than technology.

Of course, I'm somebody who thought a "Neo PS Vita" with a BC-oriented spec upgrade ala PS4 Neo would be a good idea, so I'm freaking looney...

nordique

I don't think after the Vita failure + the exponential growth in the smartphone market since the time of the Vita's development that they release another dedicated gaming portable, instead focusing on mobile phones and dedicated home consoles for anything video game related.

Fredrik

Honestly, this continuous "Everything's over" attitude doesn't seem to have any more of a grasp on reality than those of us clinging to hope of new portables. I don't expect it to rebound and things to go back to normal, but I don't see any reason why some different approach couldn't come along and interest people in a game machine that's not tied to the TV. And especially with the slowing evolution in the PC/console tech field compared to the rocket-fast mobile market, there's becoming less and less need for a gigantic box when massive power can be fit in a tiny case. Apple and Google are trying to put their mobile library on a television, Nintendo seems to be interested in taking its television experience away from the television, Sony tried it a couple of different ways with PSP Minis and Xperia Play and Cross-Buy and PS TV and other initiatives ... some day somebody (and more likely everybody) will have product that works both at home and on the go. Sony and Microsoft will not make a dedicated-games portable machine again, but there's becoming less and less a barrier to making its dedicated game machines in a portable form as well as a set-top box. Over time, the hurdle stopping them will be more marketability than technology.

Of course, I'm somebody who thought a "Neo PS Vita" with a BC-oriented spec upgrade ala PS4 Neo would be a good idea, so I'm freaking looney...
I think most of us lost the hope of a new Sony portable when the first party support dropped, Playstation TV got pur hopes up for a bit but they eventually showed us that they're through with handling secondary platforms. It's quite odd really. It sold badly but not bad enough for a move like that imo. The hardware was/is awesome so it's a sad story really. Maybe their dev teams just wasn't interested in making games for a portable?

Nintendo has been struggling the same way to make games for both consoles and portables too but they're now trying to fix it with a unified platform instead of focus on one and effectively kill the other. We'll see what happens there.

Sony is trying again with PSVR though, I guess we'll see how that goes. Personally I'm sitting on the fence on any secondary Sony platform until they've showed that they can handle it.

Some Nobody

FFS.

They can't do that either. The PSP did well for itself--80 million sold over its lifetime. That's amazing. By comparison though, the Vita sold 4m. And you have to think the next one would do about as well or worse, which wouldn't even be worth the cost of R&D I'd think.

Fredrik

They can't do that either. The PSP did well for itself--80 million sold over its lifetime. That's amazing. By comparison though, the Vita sold 4m. And you have to think the next one would do about as well or worse, which wouldn't even be worth the cost of R&D I'd think.
4m? Hasn't Vita sold like 15 million or something like that?

I don't know if many people, even the ones who bought the Vita, would be willing to buy another Sony handheld. Sony dropped Vita support very early and disappointed quite some people with this move.

That the Wii U has a similar "success" (Vita is more successful in Japan, the Wii U is more successful in EU and US) made the thing even worse. People could see that Nintendo supported the Wii U until the very end with new first party software, whereas Sony dropped all support and even don't lowered the price of the incredibly expensive memory cards substantial.

Apparently 13 million, so I stand corrected. That's still near Wii U levels, which is basically garbage, but I admit to being wrong.

In europe you could get a Vita almost for free in the last few years when you bought a PS4 and sometimes even with other devices. It seems many dealer cleared their stock.

DrFurbs

I certainly wish Sony would release the Killzone engine or other tools that could give developers a leg up in making more games for the Vita. Anything that could give it a leg up

baberunisei

I also think the Vita Neo would make sense.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Actually a Vita Neo doesn't even need new hardware(battery apart) because vita cpu and gpu were severely underclocked, at their full speed they are more than 2x faster then their current speed.

MacTag

Banned
Apparently 13 million, so I stand corrected. That's still near Wii U levels, which is basically garbage, but I admit to being wrong.
Even 13m might be high unless the system has sold around 3:1 in PAL versus America. It's just over 5m in Japan and that's undoubtedly it's strongest region.

Sadly we'll probably never know real Vita shipments totals.

CamHostage

I think most of us lost the hope of a new Sony portable when the first party support dropped ... Maybe their dev teams just wasn't interested in making games for a portable?

But that's the old way of thinking! It still is how things work for maybe 5% of games still that require some sort of form factor (Boktai doesn't work if you can't take it outside; Kinect games don't work if you have to hold the monitor,) but for the vast majority of games, they're just games, and we just want them how we want them.

Nobody tells you that Avengers is too cinematic for a portable, if you want to watch it windowed on your iPhone while multitasking a Pokemon Go hunt then so be it.
Nobody tells you that PewDiePie is too amateur in production values for you to play his show on the same 80" UHDTV you use to watch The Walking Dead and Fargo.

In games, we are arbitrarily (mostly) restricted by the devices available to play the product. Apple and Google are erasing those restrictions (although both have had trouble putting up a two-front marketing approach even though the hardware and software make it 99% seamless.) Sony itself has attempted several times to be a pioneer in erasing those restrictions as well. Those walls will continue to come down, and unlike in the past where it really took carefully-crafted, conservative hardware to play games on a reasonable battery life, mobile technology and efficient middleware with scalable engines are making the technical limitations less the limitation. Now, it's more a matter that producing a portable SKU of a console (granted, PS4 chipset itself won't be portable any time soon) is a challenge to market when buyers are stuck in the mindset of expectations out of a portable. Embrace efforts to change that.

If you want to play Geometry Wars and Pac-Man CE and Guacamelee and Tales of the Borderlands and even God of War and Uncharted wherever you want (and if Remote Play isn't enough of an answer, although it is a great part of the equation,) don't give up asking when the thing stopping it is simply that PlayStation or whoever in the old guard of hardware design don't know how to make money producing a machine to make it so.

maouvin

Actually a Vita Neo doesn't even need new hardware(battery apart) because vita cpu and gpu were severely underclocked, at their full speed they are more than 2x faster then their current speed.

Some more memory would be needed too but yeah, they could keep the CPU. It's a 2GHz downclocked to what again? 333MHz?
No idea on the GPU tho.

Theonik

Some more memory would be needed too but yeah, they could keep the CPU. It's a 2GHz downclocked to what again? 333MHz?
No idea on the GPU tho.
A vita neo wouldn't be more effort than say a new smartphone upgrade. I still don't see Sony bothering though.

CamHostage

A vita neo wouldn't be more effort than say a new smartphone upgrade. I still don't see Sony bothering though.

That's kind of my thinking for the viability of a "PS Vita Neo" ... not that it'd be some grand revival of the Vita or anything grandiose, but that they're continuing to manufacture it anyway, so hey, why continue to manufacture it to be less than it can be? Almost 5 years now after Vita's launch, Sony might even be spending as much on the older components in there as it would if it swapped in newer and better equivalents. And Sony is set upon changing expectations of the console market by incrementing for the first time, the portable market has already experienced increments and has yet to reject the business approach (granted, it's mostly Nintendo's success story, but do Lynx v2 and NGPC and WSC not count?), so what's reasonable for one platform could be reasonable for both. Making a better Vita might at some point make better business sense than making the old Vita.

There's logistical reasons why they can't just clock up and plug in more RAM and have a Vita Neo (and in an out-of-my-mind-bored GAF thread where I pitched a Vita Neo, people schooled me on the economics of going to manufacturing with a component swap,) but I still feel that some no-exclusives approach back to market with a handheld would make some sense for Sony some day, especially now that Nintendo is apparently bridging the mobile/TV gap and Apple and Google are so interested in mixing the spaces.

The PS4 Portable idea in the OP might be feasible several years down the line. New lower-end games (like indies) would also probably run on it. If Sony makes the Neo the beginning of a family of devices all sharing the same library, a portable form factor could fit in with that. That way the portable would at least have an appealing software library.

Ultimately I'd like maybe a point system for what kind of PS systems games will run on, sort of like what MS tried with the Minimum Specs Rating years ago.
...A game that earns a #1 could play on anything: PS4 the console, some kind of PS portable, the Neo of course (and the majority of games would fall into that space, or try to have a "#1 Mode" that's a compromised version of the game but playable on all hardware.)
...A game with a #2 would be maybe too powerful for the portable but would play on all your PS4s.
...A game with a #3 rating would only be compatible with the next-generation technology of Neo (and would ideally be rare for a good long time...)
...And then some day there's a PS5 as well as a #3-level PS portable, and they could both play those 'old' Neo games but PS5 would play its brand-new #4 games. And so on...

MacTag

Banned
No idea on the GPU tho.
The GPU's clocked at just 111 MHz but can be overclocked to a higher 222 MHz setting. Similarly the CPU can be overclocked to 444 MHz but doing this automatically shuts down wifi and other background functions.

Top Bottom