• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Audio Bitstream updates are incoming for the Xbox One S

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I would say remember its the receiver that needs to support Atmos, not the player. The Atmos data is matrixed into the regular TrueHD stream, much like Pro Logic II was encoded into a stereo signal back in the day. Your receiver will then decode the stream and direct the audio based on whichever speaker setup you have.

All you need is a player that will send the raw audio signal to your receiver, which to be honest has been a standard feature for Bluray players for awhile. The last time I remember it being an issue was the first HD-DVD players...

The Samsung player will pass every audio format needed. Obviously the receiver has to handle.

Ironically the material that will gain the most out of a UHD remaster is stuff that was shot long before the dawn of 4K digital cinematography, especially material with limited or no use of CGI. The UHD BD Ghostbusters releases are supposed to be great, Labyrinth is getting a UHD release in September. A lot of recent standard BD releases were accompanied by new 4K remasters of the original elements for posterity and a better quality downsample to 1080p, so there should be much less work involved to push out UHD discs (other than mixing for HDR etc.). Here's to hoping that a UHD BD drive in a mass market device pushes adoption of the format.

As an aside I think it's hilarious that we could potentially see mind blowing 4K remasters of the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy while George Lucas with all his forward technological thinking filmed episodes 2 and 3 entirely with primitive 1080p digital cinema cameras.

Ghostbusters I and II both are mind-blowingly great on UHD BRD.

And you're right, some recent stuff will look great, but it's shocking how many films digital effects are done at just 1080p/2k. You can't even really just blame Lucas, even Force Awakens, despite being shot on 35mm, has 2k special effects.

That said, tons of stuff from the 80s and earlier are going to look AMAZING with UHD versions.

My main point about what Lucas did was that he filmed EVERYTHING for ep 2-3 in 2K digitally. Shooting non-cg stuff on 35mm or 4K or higher digital at least allows for the possibility for going back, rerendering, recompositing the CG in a higher resolution, however rare an occurrence that would be for a studio to do that. Any attempt at a remaster of 2-3 could only possibly benefit from the wider color space and maybe HDR. But anyway, I find it interesting that we've finally hit some kind of holy grail of cinema/home video presentation parity and all of films created during the transition period from all analog/ practical effects to full digital cinema/effects are the least well positioned to show an improved presentation. And it's kind of a paradox because the format launched with a bunch of big dumb action movies like Fantastic 4 many of which amount to upscales. I'm glad we're slowly seeing more classic releases on the format though. I just hope it's not only the classic installments of a recently rebooted franchise (Ghostbusters).

sector4

I would say remember its the receiver that needs to support Atmos, not the player. The Atmos data is matrixed into the regular TrueHD stream, much like Pro Logic II was encoded into a stereo signal back in the day. Your receiver will then decode the stream and direct the audio based on whichever speaker setup you have.

All you need is a player that will send the raw audio signal to your receiver, which to be honest has been a standard feature for Bluray players for awhile. The last time I remember it being an issue was the first HD-DVD players...
Okay good to know cheers! :) The receiver I got definitely decodes Atmos, I can't wait to try out some movies in the format.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Check out The Revenant.

I think I erred in putting "film" in quotes - I was really thinking about native 1:1 digitally recorded content so I can look at a basically uncompressed/unaltered image. Like some UHD of a coral reef or whatever. But digital.

Kibbles

I'm confused, how can this play UHD Blurays if it doesn't support HD audio?

So I can't watch movies with my Atmos system?

I'm really hoping I can get HDR out of the Xbone S, cause my Nvidia Shield always says 8bit on my properties menu on my JVC projector (x550r) which has HDR apparently but I haven't been able to experience it yet.

SOR5

When they said they wanted to support mkv it came

When they said they wanted background music it came

When they said they wanted 360 backwards compatibility it came

This ones happening as well

Edit: my post sounds dangerously like that Martin Niemöller poem, whoops

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think I erred in putting "film" in quotes - I was really thinking about native 1:1 digitally recorded content so I can look at a basically uncompressed/unaltered image. Like some UHD of a coral reef or whatever. But digital.
It would have come in handy if you guys had shot/rendered that Halo 5 Launch Trailer Team Osiris introduction in native 4K 😉.
Seriously I could leave that playing on a loop all day, it is extremely beautiful and pleasant to the eyes.

I'm really hoping I can get HDR out of the Xbone S, cause my Nvidia Shield always says 8bit on my properties menu on my JVC projector (x550r) which has HDR apparently but I haven't been able to experience it yet.

Technically it supports Dts HD and Dolby HD through uncompressed right?

grendelrt

Currently you would just get all the video stuff of UHD and you would get the uncompressed 7.1 dolby and dts codecs, but you would lose the overhead speakers for Atmos and X. If they add Bitstream you will get those overhead channels back.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The thought of a UHD player not outputting uncompressed bitstream is mental. Every other standard player for the last 10 years can do it.

Technically it supports Dts HD and Dolby HD through uncompressed right?

Yes, it will output them as a decoded PCM signal, which means your receiver can't decode them and therefore can't output Atmos and DTS and their accompanying upmix software.

mrback

still nothing on this? seriously dont want to have to fork out an a UHD player for atmos/DTS-x. ps4 pro & PSVR is where my money is going on in the next few months then there is NX to save up for. cmon microsoft sort this please.

is this live yet?

Not on a system level. that will be later - http://news.xbox.com/2016/12/14/dolby-atmos-xbox-one-windows-10/

If you are in preview:

Xbox Blu-ray Bitstream Pass-Through
This week Xbox also announced that Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through, which includes Dolby Atmos support on Xbox One and Xbox One S, would be rolling out to Xbox Preview members. This feature enables all Xbox consoles to pass Blu-ray audio data untouched to a user's audio equipment, allowing your audio receiver or other audio device to produce a high quality, immersive sound experience.

A top fan-requested feature, it enables Xbox users who have invested in pro-audio set-ups to experience the best possible audio from their Blu-ray movies. To use this feature, you will need to have your console connected over HDMI to a compatible audio receiver which supports decoding of popular Blu-ray audio formats.

If you're an Xbox Preview member, here are some helpful tips on how to enable:

Ensure your console is connected via HDMI to a device that supports decoding of Blu-ray audio formats.
Make sure you have the latest Blu-ray player by checking the ”Updates" tab under ”My Games & Apps."
Enable ”Let my receiver decode audio (beta)" under the ”Disc & Blu-ray" settings page.
Insert your favorite DVD or Blu-ray disc.
Kick back and enjoy the highest quality audio from your movies and TV shows.

DTS:X also works as i watched Jason Bourne a couple weeks ago.

is there anyway to get in preview or has that ship sailed now???

I think it's sailed for now :(

Join the Xbox One Update Preview

Because of overwhelming response and limited space, we’re not currently offering a way to invite friends to the Xbox One Update Preview. We’ll let Insiders know if this changes in the future.

Note If you previously participated in the Xbox Preview Program, you can rejoin the Xbox One Update Preview at any time by selecting it from the Insider content list in the Xbox Insider Hub.

Xbox Insider program previous labeled as the preview program

sector4

Is this live for everyone? I got a system update today with all the other new features but can't find the setting to let me receiver decode audio in the Disc & Blu Ray menu.

Should be settings > disk and bluray > bluray > check option to enable receiver to decode audio. I think it's only avail if you have hdmi out

Should be settings > disk and bluray > bluray > check option to enable receiver to decode audio. I think it's only avail if you have hdmi out

Gitaroo

I updated my system on thursday and I don't see bitstream audio under bluray setting. Only audio setting for bluray is default language. So is this update actually out? I want to watch my planet earth 2 uhd. Even dts master doesn't seems to work.

jbug617

Banned
It's live now
@majornelson: Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through is now live on Xbox One consoles. Reboot & select ‘Let my receiver decode audio’ in Blu-ray settings page
C8qajg5U0AAQux-.jpg

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/849661430156509184

Top Bottom