• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Mark Cerny talks Dolby Atmos support for PlayStation 5

PaintTinJr

Always expecting the worse from a certain party isn't it? Incessant.
It isn't always as sinister as it looks, I suspect, because Richard predates the term "internet trolling" and was - from a business perspective - a pro at trolling his readership for pure engagement when he worked in game magazines - from the things I've seen referenced over the years.

With PlayStation being the easiest platform to generate engagement from trolling, it isn't always clear if the narrative is purely for clicks, DF opinion or funded opinion for promoting another platform, or just still a grudge over the demise of Sega in the console market - to PlayStation.

Last edited:

Zathalus

As always DF gets scolded by the actual technical people, I don't know how such a firm can get so much trust when their guessing is most of the time wrong.
I mean you can claim that if you want. Or you can actually watch the video and see that John was very close in his guess on how it functioned. Mark Cerny reached out and clarified internal aspects of how it worked which John would have no way of knowing.

If you had bothered to watch the video you would have noticed that they think the PS5 Atmos is superior due to no lag compared to XSX. It takes a special type of logic to twist these takes into somehow being biased against Sony.

I'm glad DF does this type of speculation, it gives developers a platform to engage with. This is not the first time Sony or Mark Cerny has reached out or collaborated with them either.

Last edited:
Tempest audio chip is such a smart addition. Like literally every 3D game benefits from spatial audio.
Smart? It is imho overdue.
I am kinda perplexed that audio hasn't been a major marketing thing since at least previous PS4 days. Any game that has proper directional infos when playing was instantly much more fun, and we should know that since Audigy some 20+ years ago, or practically any half decent onboard sound card as well. Always a bummer when I have no idea where the enemy is coming from especially in an arena like setting where they spawn anywhere and you have to rely on visual spoting.
Adding this (and 1440 support) so late is just weird. Improving some stuff over the platform's lifetime is absolutely necessary but features that should be there from the get go coming so late is kinda disappointing. This should be stuff coming alongside Tempest at launch and not Tempest first and then only after months or years supporting other standards.

I Master l

Banned
Series X has a dedicated audio chip just like the PS5, If there is lag its not from hardware "at least not on the console side" but software

L*][*N*K

Banned
edited.jpg
He kinda looks like Bruno now
po9RVyZ.png

MarkMe2525

Never had lag ever with Atmos on XBO, XSX, or PS5. People usually don’t know how to setup their system and then come on the internet and blame the tech and not themselves. eARC must be set to pass through to avoid latency.
I can't speak for Atmos, but there is a noticeable delay when I have the Series X (and X1X and X1 beforehand) set to Dolby digital when connecting to soundbar with hdmi. I have to keep the system on stereo. This does not apply to headphones as it is lag free in my experience. I have troubleshot this issue for hours and tested different equipment to no avail.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't speak for Atmos, but there is a noticeable delay when I have the Series X (and X1X and X1 beforehand) set to Dolby digital when connecting to soundbar with hdmi. I have to keep the system on stereo. This does not apply to headphones as it is lag free in my experience. I have troubleshot this issue for hours and tested different equipment to no avail.
That's a Dolby thing. DTS is a hair better for compressed audio syncing, but it's also down to how your system itself processes as well. Some newer soundbars have better processing, especially with eARC, but does not solve it 100%. There are also settings in the TV itself like "passthrough" and "speech syncing" that you may want to have active.

There is no audio lag on headsets since they don't use HDMI. I use a headset to get around the audio lag in Rocksmith.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Never had lag ever with Atmos on XBO, XSX, or PS5. People usually don’t know how to setup their system and then come on the internet and blame the tech and not themselves. eARC must be set to pass through to avoid latency.
Even with passthrough selected, the LG CX has audio lag when using Atmos. It's a known issue and shitty that LG won't address it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is no lag with Dolby Atmos, you might be confusing the situation with Dolby Vision which can introduce lag on some TVs.
This is literally what DF said themselves,
The nature of Sony's solution means that the Atmos support is entirely lag-free, in contrast to some issues we've had with Xbox and Windows PCs.
But, DF says a lot of things.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

This is literally what DF said themselves,

But, DF says a lot of things.

Was it determined whether it's an issue with the TV or with Dolby Atmos tech itslef? I haven't experienced any problems. I have a 7.4.4 setup, using an Onkyo RZ-50 and a Sony Bravia A80J, so I can't speak for everyone, but most complaining were LG owners, but I can't say for sure if it's an issue with the TV. Some suggested switching inputes after turning on their Xbox and switching back corrected the lag, so it sounds like some kind of bug.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Was it determined whether it's an issue with the TV or with Dolby Atmos tech itslef? I haven't experienced any problems. I have a 7.4.4 setup, using an Onkyo RZ-50 and a Sony Bravia A80J, so I can't speak for everyone, but most complaining were LG owners, but I can't say for sure if it's an issue with the TV. Some suggested switching inputes after turning on their Xbox and switching back corrected the lag, so it sounds like some kind of bug.
Not a clue, it's what DF said themselves, so I am sure it's all hardware dependent. Like a lot of digital passthrough and the like over HDMI. Probably discussed in past videos.

I do know there is zero lag in headphones, but that's because they don't use HDMI passthrough.

Wait, dumb question. I thought PS5's implementation for Dolby Atmos would only be available for TV Speakers and Soundbars, does this mean headphones will now be compatible with Dolby Atmos too?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wait, dumb question. I thought PS5's implementation for Dolby Atmos would only be available for TV Speakers and Soundbars, does this mean headphones will now be compatible with Dolby Atmos too?
Good question, is it running in the tempest 3D container for headphones too, or does that still need a separate license?

My home theater isn't Atmos enabled so I have no way of testing this, but it's what DF guys are saying. The PS5 Atmos support is in beta, so I don't think a lot of people have it yet. Xbox Series has had Atmos a long time now, and I'm surprised that they have never addressed this apparent issue with Atmos support on Xbox Series.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I own Atmos for headphones on Win 11 and with my MDR-7506 with Fiio K3 it's not as good in gaming as my MDR-7506 via Tempest connected to DualSense 3.5mm. RE8 is the most stand-out example. Positioning, sound tracing and the latency is just better on PS5. It's subjective, of course, but Cerny's take on ambisonics just works better for headphones and 2.0/2.1 setups. So yeah, never missed Atmos on PS5 due to my setup being (mostly) reference-grade stereo (HD650, 7506 and Genelec 1029a) even for media.

Also, HDMI Atmos lag is real. Lag between the shots in Gears 5 on XSX was very notiocable at my friend's Sony soundbar (HTG700 IIRC). Cool that Cerny is aware of this issue for games.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Dolby Vision is severely overrated and support for it is still not common outside of 4K UHD Blu-ray movies because the world's biggest seller of TV's (Samsung) refuses to support it.
And very few games support even the current HDR10 in any impactful way, so yeah, DV is a waste of money on licensing for a GAME console.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dolby Vision is severely overrated and support for it is still not common outside of 4K UHD Blu-ray movies because the world's biggest seller of TV's (Samsung) refuses to support it.
Most new Netflix and Disney productions on streaming supports it so you're wrong that it's overrated.

Last edited:

Killer8

It has to be the software. The exact same issue is present on W11 PCs. People like me get the issue even when the Xbox is connected directly to the audio device, so it's not the fault of E-ARC or any one device.

I suspect, like John Linneman said, that people who don't* have the issue likely have some lag on their display which then naturally syncs up the display image with the delayed audio.

John getting raked over the coals

Not sure if I have any sympathy. Remember df you enabled these nutters. Reap what you sow.

John and DF are really good at getting these issues into the public eye. I love that they use their platform to do stuff like this. But they really are not mentally equipped to deal with the internet. John has pity party meltdowns all the time. He needs to just toughen up and tell people to fuck off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
John getting raked over the coals

Not sure if I have any sympathy. Remember df you enabled these nutters. Reap what you sow.

This is an issue with PS5 too. I think it's the fact that OLEDs have an insanely fast pixel refresh rate while eArc adds its own latency as it can only grab the audio feed from the PS5 once it reaches the tv. I tried connecting the Atmos soundbar straight to the PS5 and running the PS5 video feed through the soundbar but that caused video latency.

It was very noticeable in God of War Ragnorak. Lip sync was way off. Really hoping that this atmos optimization helps non-Atmos lag on OLEDs as well.

The only time i dont get lag is when I stream stuff straight through the LG apps like vudu, disney and hbo. Anything from an HDMI source like the PS5, Xbox and Switch adds lag.

Justin9mm

You're one of those ppl. Unless you have the beta, you don't even have Atmos on PS5 lol. There is slight lag in Atmos games on the Xbox, you just don't notice. We are talking milliseconds. Some people are just more sensitive to it then others. It's got nothing to do with setup. It's a known issue. Fact.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You're one of those ppl. Unless you have the beta, you don't even have Atmos on PS5 lol. There is slight lag in Atmos games on the Xbox, you just don't notice. We are talking milliseconds. Some people are just more sensitive to it then others. It's got nothing to do with setup. It's a known issue. Fact.
I have the beta. Running Beta 4.0 right now.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

It has to be the software. The exact same issue is present on W11 PCs. People like me get the issue even when the Xbox is connected directly to the audio device, so it's not the fault of E-ARC or any one device.

I suspect, like John Linneman said, that people who don't* have the issue likely have some lag on their display which then naturally syncs up the display image with the delayed audio.

John and DF are really good at getting these issues into the public eye. I love that they use their platform to do stuff like this. But they really are not mentally equipped to deal with the internet. John has pity party meltdowns all the time. He needs to just toughen up and tell people to fuck off.

Oh lord, John is a good guy. What you said makes sense. On my Sony Bravia A80J I can set up the inputs on my display accordingly and I notice that if I set my TV input where the Xbox is connected to Dolby Vision, and check the menu in Xbox to Dolby Vision, there is considerable input lag, but I game with the VRR option and in Game Mode, Dolby Vision unchecked and input lag is like 4.5ms or some ridiculously low number. My receiver may also have some compensation, I calibrated my audio with Dirac Live 3.0 and Umik-1 microphone, subs are running off a Mini DSP HD 2x4. My Onkyo RZ-50 has a "Lip Sync" feature that measures the input delay from the source and allows you to set up the delay to compensate, so yea my audio setup is pretty tight so this might be a case of YMMV.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sony too®

Aaaaand...you're back to your usual self.

Not everything has to be a Vs/warz thing, calm your tits brother, this is a topic about DA on the PS5, not a "who started" shit with the guy from DF.
Sure okay, but I'm not wrong. This site has been terrible to that guy.

Justin9mm

I have the beta. Running Beta 4.0 right now.
That makes sense then. Can you give an example of a Series X Atmos supported game you believe has no audio lag with Atmos? Would love to test on my end. My Series X is plugged straight into my AVR's HDMI 2.1 port and shouldn't be having any issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom