• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 beta rolls out today with new accessibility and audio options, social features, and UI enhancements

Bernoulli

M2 slut
New Accessibility Features

Use a Second Controller for Assistance. You can now assign a second controller to one account as an assist controller, and use two controllers to operate your PS5 console as if you were using a single controller.

System UI Haptic Feedback

You now have the option to turn on haptic feedback effects while navigating your PS5 with your DualSense controller, DualSense Edge controller, or PS VR2 Sense controller.

Support for compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices

3D Audio powered by Tempest 3D AudioTech can now be enjoyed by those who own compatible Dolby Atmos-enabled HDMI devices such as soundbars, TVs or home theater systems.

Social feature enhancements

Party UI update. You can now invite a player into a closed party without automatically adding the player into the group or creating a new group. Additionally, players can now send open or closed party invitations to groups instead of only individual players.

Share Screen Preview. When someone’s sharing their screen in a party that you can join, you’ll now see a preview image of their Share Screen, even before you enter the party.

Join friends’ game sessions easily. You can now easily see which of your friends are in an activity you can join under the [Friends] tab.

• Game Hub tournaments tile. In the game hub, you can now see how many tournaments you’ve entered and the highest place you’ve achieved, as well as the start time for the next tournament. You can select the tile to see the full tournament list.
  • React to messages with emojis. You can now add reactions to messages with emojis, which makes communicating with friends quicker and easier.
  • Ease-of-use features
  • Search for games in your library. You can now search for games within your game library.
  • Game Help improvements. Game Help cards have been improved.
  • Discover new features. Browse useful tips for getting the most out of your PS5 and learn about new features in the new Discover Tips section.
  • Mute PS5 beep sound. You can now mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound when turning it on or off, or putting it in rest mode.
  • Support for larger-capacity M.2 SSDs
  • You can now use an M.2 SSD with a maximum capacity of 8TB (up from the previous 4TB limit) to expand storage space on your PS5 console.

PS5 beta access will be available to selected participants in the U.S., Canada, Japan, U.K., Germany and France (same countries as our last system software beta).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If you use the PS5 as a movie player, yeah. For games it won't matter.

Edit: I was wrong, seems like Tempest 3D audio becomes Atmos if you have such a setup. That's cool. I thought it would only be for actual Atmos content (i.e. movies and maybe streaming apps).

Yea. This does appear just for the non-headset audio too as Dolby charges a separate license for headphone Atmos.

It’ll also be supported by streaming apps as long as they update. Max and Disney+ support Atmos on Apple TV so they’ll probably update quickly.

***Media app providers can update their apps on PS5 to support Dolby Atmos audio, giving users another way to experience immersive audio in movies, TV shows, and more in the future (these app updates are not currently supported in the PS5 beta.)

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The only feature that matters.
Wives and GFs :
Kristen Wiig No GIF by The Lonely Island

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And I just posted recently in a sound bar thread how the Matrix demo sounded slighty better on XSX because of Dolby Atmos.

This is a nice surprise for sure.

Kuranghi

Hmmm, I have a Sony ZF9 soundbar from 2018, wonder if I'll get Atmos, the bar does support it on paper but it's a bit wooley whether you need the Vertical Surround Shite Engine on or not since it features no up-firing drivers let alone ceiling mounted speakers.

I have VSE off and my PC can output audio that the bar displays as "Atmos" on its info window so here's hoping.

Also I was hoping they'd allow you to increase the volume of the beep to be more like a deafening air raid siren tone, my night shift working flatmate has been getting too much sleep recently.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yea. This does appear just for the non-headset audio too as Dolby charges a separate license for headphone Atmos.

It’ll also be supported by streaming apps as long as they update. Max and Disney+ support Atmos on Apple TV so they’ll probably update quickly.
There is hope for Dolby Vision support for UHD Blu-Ray then…. At least let me pay for it… sigh…

thatJohann

I never get the beta emails and I want to try the Dolby Atmos. Hoping it doesn’t have an audio delay like on Series X.

Pelta88

Looks like I'll have to update my SteelSeries Nova Pro to a headset that can use Atmos.

Audiophiles of gaf, do you have any recommendations?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Awesome, I’ve been looking forward to trying out atmos gaming on my new 5.1.2 HT.

How many games actually make use of it on XSX?

Chukhopops

Absolutely shocked by the Atmos support, I thought it would never happen because of the proprietary sound tech.

This is really great news as it’s simply not comparable with virtual surround.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I never get the beta emails and I want to try the Dolby Atmos. Hoping it doesn’t have an audio delay like on Series X.
There shouldn’t be an audio delay as long as you have your eARC set to passthrough. That fixes it on Xbox too.

Looks like I'll have to update my SteelSeries Nova Pro to a headset that can use Atmos.

Audiophiles of gaf, do you have any recommendations?
It doesn’t sound like this is adding headset support yet. Dolby charges a separate license for Atmos for headphones.
Awesome, I’ve been looking forward to trying out atmos gaming on my new 5.1.2 HT.

How many games actually make use of it on XSX?

All of these that are also on PS should either work right away or just need a quick patch.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Absolutely shocked by the Atmos support, I thought it would never happen because of the proprietary sound tech.

This is really great news as it’s simply not comparable with virtual surround.
Wasn't it that Xbox just had an exclusive deal on Atmos?

Mr.ODST

Good features added, wish PS5 had the dual audio that Series X has where I can play on my PC through capture card but audio comes naturally from the console aswell as the HDMI passthrough

Top Bottom