• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light hits over 8 million players

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This includes used sales, but not pirated copies.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Now, Dying Light has entertained more than 8 million players - a figure that clearly delights Techland CEO Pawel Marchewka, even if it doesn't quite surprise him. "We were counting on big numbers, because Dead Island was pretty popular," he says when we meet at Digital Dragons. "Dying Light is just so much the better game. We would have been surprised if it did worse than that."
The fact that Dying Light reached 8 million players, Marchewka says, is a result of such choices. "That doesn't include illegal players," he adds, though it does include second-hand sales.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-08-04-techland-dead-rising

F7eWRV5.png

Deep Silver must be hating life

antitrop

He's right, Dying Light is so much better than Dead Island. It's not just a little bit better, it's a whole lot better. I hated DI, but DL made my GOTY list last year.

Rizific

So it's good? It looks pretty fun.

i had a great time playing through it. bought it at launch for full price, no ragrets. i think i might want to revisit it since ive been through 2 gpu upgrades since i last played it.

Game was a huge surprise for me. I went in not expecting much and ended up loving the hell out of it. Still need to pick up the expansion.

Also super happy for the team for the great sales success

Zukkoyaki

I like when devs are openly self-aware of their games. Congrats to them, Dying Light is great and seems to have helped position the company extremely well for the future.

SomTervo

Fantastic game with probably some of the highest replay value I've ever seen.

You can complete the whole thing on normal and have a whale of a time - normal is like Half Life 2 meets Fallout 4 with a dash of Mirrors Edge.

Then start the whole thing again on Nightmare and OMG IT'S LIKE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME WTF I DIED AND LOST ALL MY EXPERIENCE ON THE FIRST MISSION ITS LIKE ZOMBIE SOULS HOLY SHIT I CAN'T EVEN PAUSE WHILE CRAFTING OMG NIGHT TIME IS THE HORROR MEDKITS ONLY SLOW-RECHARGE HEALTH AHHHH

So good. I can only play the game on Nightmare now and it is just glorious.

20-30 fps on console with blurry and ghosting. Awesome stuff. Rant of the day.

They improved the performance substantially in February with a big patch.

Chola

Banned
The best game with zombies in it and i'm not even a fan of that genre. Took me around 137 hours to 100% the game and the DLC

antitrop

Narrative is totally forgettable but some side quests are actually decent.

The narrative was aggressively awful and the sidequest were some of the most basic fetch-questing I've done in years, but like I said, still loved the game and even went ahead with the Platinum Trophy on it. The core gameplay really is THAT good.

I can put up with pointless fetch-questing when getting from A to B (and back to A, I guess) is so much fun.

IvanJ

Banned
Very happy for Techland, my GOTY last year (tied with Until Dawn).

Dying Light 2 will be the #1 reason for me to buy PS5 (whenever that turns out to be)

GenericUser

One of the best games I played this Gen, well, WELL deserved. I had tons of fun, coundn't stop until I finished the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The narrative was aggressively awful and the sidequest were some of the most basic fetch-questing I've done in years, but like I said, still loved the game and even went ahead with the Platinum Trophy on it. The core gameplay really is THAT good.

I can put up with pointless fetch-questing when getting from A to B (and back to A, I guess) is so much fun.

Come now, the narrative had a great unintentional comedy aspect, just like Ubisoft games.

And if you were on PC, the loading was so fast that Kyle Crane could only ever finish his first sentence in the loading screens. He truly is a man of simple, straight forward observations.

wamberz1

Good. Game is fucking great, some of the best side quests I've ever seen in a non-classic-rpg open world game. And the escalation of abilities and weapons felt awesome.

antitrop

some of the best side quests
Maybe my memory of the sidequests being almost nothing but fetch-quests was wrong, so I looked at a Wiki...

"A Baby Is Born": Collect 3 Alcohol
"A Pair of Glasses": Collect a Vegetable Book and a Pair of Glasses
"A Survivor's Guide to Zombieland": Collect a Satchel and a Camera
"Goodnight, Mr Bahir": This one is actually not a fetch quest
"Gunslinger": Give Dawud a Pistol, collect his son's action figure
"Hardware": Collect 10 Power Cables and 10 Duct Tape Rolls, collect Portable Sonar system from military base
"Legless Spider": Collect 3 Shishas for Spider, then collect 5 Meteorites
"Mother's Day": Collect Medicine, a Video Tape, and a Box of Chocolates
"Office Outpost": Not a fetch quest
"Radio Station Outpost": Sister mission to the previous quest, also not a fetch quest, but very similar to "Office Outpost"
"Searchlights": Collect the searchlights off the bridge
"The Bunker": Collect Mayor's seal, find Bunker Key, loot Storage

That's just some of them, not even all of them. Most of the rest are fetch-quests, too. Another one of them is straight-up named "Bring Me the Brain of Usain Bolter" (I wonder what you have to do in that one....)

I picked up the Enhanced Edition + the Following during the Xbox summer sale. Haven't had a chance to play yet, though it's next on the list of my backlog games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, that's highly unexpected O_O

Did Dead Island get anywhere close to this?

It did 5 million the last time we got numbers, though the later content did much worse since the game was awful.

This game on the other hand is really great and delivered on a lot of what people wanted out of Dead Island (along with a lot of good surprises like the free running).

zer0das

Banned
Maybe my memory of the sidequests being almost nothing but fetch-quests was wrong, so I looked at a Wiki...

That's just some of them, not even all of them. Most of the rest are fetch-quests, too. Another one of them is straight-up named "Bring Me the Brain of Usain Bolter" (I wonder what you have to do in that one....)

Yeah, they're all basically fetch quests. I wouldn't ever say quest design was a strong suit of Dying Light. I'm glad the base game is doing well in sales.

SHarris78

Been loving this on and off since launch, problem i've run into is lately wherever I go out during the day there are loads of those quick zombies around and I can't get complete any more quests because i'm always too busy with them.

Overall great game though, the atmosphere is fantastic (and going out at night is terrifying!!)

The day before the game released gamestop USA sold the PS4 season pass for $19.99, what they actually sent you was a code for the retail (digital) game. A few CAG and gafers figured this out and a bunch of people bought the game for $20 this way. A few days later they followed up and sent an actual season pass code, nicely enough, so everyone who did this got the game + season pass for $20.

Crazy enough like a year after launch the game upgraded for free everyone who bought the season pass to the enhanced edition, which included a bunch of upgrades and updates.

I bought the game and season pass for $20 and have yet to play it :(

Adnor

Banned
Good game and it has a surprisingly good port coming from WB. The story sucked but the gameplay was good enough that I didn't care.

Still need to play the expansion tho.

Anung

Un Rama
One of the most pleasant and unexpected surprises of the last few years. A totally deserved success and one destroyed the dead island IP IMO.

dab0ne

Well deserved. I've got more hours on this game than I'd like to admit... but I will anyways:

92 hours on a hard character play through
61 hours on a medium character play through.

mr2xxx

Banned
I've wanted to play it but it's retained it's value pretty well on console and PC. I've been waiting for a sub $20 price point on either the original or newer edition.

Maledict

Definitely the best hidden gem of the last few years. If only the expansion pack wasn't based around driving I'd be back playing it already. Mystified why they took that route when the parkour was so good.

Top Bottom