• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap gameplay footage (10 minutes/BitSummit prototype)

So this is buried in the announcement thread and is flying under everyone's radar. Deserves its own thread IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFsJyRX2m4

The game looks beyond fantastic. The art style is vivid, colourful and beautiful as well being the perfect graphical facelift for the game. Also the commentary behind the footage confirms some new details like the release date targeting early next year and the game's faithfulness to the original Master System title.

Thought I'd give everyone the heads up! Post your impressions.

This was really an amazing game and the video looks brilliant. I don't have a bad thing to say about it.

Provided things like hit detection are on point, it looks like a must buy.

Soul Bubbles is one of my favourite games so I'll be sure to support this. Never played the original but loving the new art style.

V4Koac.gif

So this is buried in the announcement thread and is flying under everyone's radar. Deserves its own thread IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFsJyRX2m4

The game looks beyond fantastic. The art style is vivid, colourful and beautiful as well being the perfect graphical facelift for the game. Also the commentary behind the footage confirms some new details like the release date targeting early next year and the game's faithfulness to the original Master System title.

Thought I'd give everyone the heads up! Post your impressions.

Beat it on my Master System. I'll be all over it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Loved this game on the SMS and especially the Turbo.
I'll love it all over again.

I missed the announce thread. Any chance of monsterland getting the same love? I alwsys thougt that was even better.

ggx2ac

The environmental backgrounds look good. Especially if there is motion going on like the flames on the castle. Although the original backgrounds on the Sega Master System weren't that bad either.

I'm a little disappointed it's probably coming out early 2017. I thought I would've been able to play it end of this year.

Narroo

The art is wonderful; looks like Calvin and Hobbes! Fit's perfectly!

Yet, I'm worried about the gameplay. It's good that they want to stick to the source material, but I'm feel that in the end sticking to close to the original may end up for a flat game. After all, the original was a B+ Sega game, a cult classic. I'm sure that they could be faithful to the original while still improving more than just the visuals.

EDIT: Also, the Lizard Man looks great. Why would he want to fix that? I vote for the MC as the new Dragon King.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Narroo

Two new Wonder Boys, yeah--there's the game in the OP, which is a remake of an existing game, and also Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom which is an original game and as official a sequel as can be without actually being called "Wonder Boy".

It's a shame that the other one looks like a korean MMO. Too bad it doesn't have this one's art style.

Looks wonderful. Thanks for posting this!

You're more than welcome! :) Thank you for the positive feedback!

So we get 2 new Monsterboys?

Yes, we're getting two new Wonderboy games. This one is a direct remake of Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap from the Master System whilst Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is more of a spiritual successor though also close to being an official title with all-new original content primarily deriving the form-changing mechanic from Wonderboy III in its development and inspiration. So two new games!

It's an exciting and wonderful time to be a Wonderboy fan. :)

Falcs

Banned
What??
I had no idea this existed!! I grew up playing this game! I love it! This is amazing!

colinp

Banned
Soul Bubbles is one of my favourite games so I'll be sure to support this. Never played the original but loving the new art style.

Wow I didn't realize it was the same company. Soul Bubbles was soooooooooooooo good. Have they done anything since?

This looks awesome. <3 Wonderboy!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
What ever happened to the mobile version of Soul Bubbles?
Long cancelled, I assume, yes?

CO_Andy

Production values for this game are absolutely insane. Truly a labor of love for a cult classic that few have actually played.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It simply looks stunning. There is a few things that need polish but pretty impressive.

@MUWANdo

Banned

So so so so psyched for this.

Do you guys prefer Dragon's Trap or Dragon's Curse (TG-16)?

I always played the MS ver. but after a gaffer posting about the TG16 ver I proceeded to try that one out. I find now that this is the superior one. For me the controls feel a tad tighter and the graphics and music are also better in the TG16 ver.

Monster Land >> Monster World IV > Dragon's Trap >> Monster World.

My opinion, of course.

I respect your opinion, but In my opinion there is no way that Monster Land is better than the Dragons Trap.
Monster land is too samey and a little, for want of a word boring.
I grew up going to arcades and spending huge amounts of money on that game and I love it too, but Dragons Trap is easily the superior game.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land is not a good game.

The arcade ver. is very good though.

maxcriden

They are like 95% identical.

Dragon's Curse has better color depth and slightly different transformations (and has a save function).

I always played the MS ver. but after a gaffer posting about the TG16 ver I proceeded to try that one out. I find now that this is the superior one. For me the controls feel a tad tighter and the graphics and music are also better in the TG16 ver.

Thanks to you both for the info!

Regarding Monster Land, I never played SG/SMS games back in the day (my first console at home was N64) so I've never been able to discern which WB in ML to play. I usually go with just whatever the Nintendo Life review says since there aren't many great VC review resources, but I know they can be a polarizing source. I always prefer info from GAF, though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/wonder_boy_in_monster_land_mastersystem
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/wonder_boy_in_monster_land_vcarcade

They gave the game similar reviews (two different reviewers) but no clear win to the arcade version. But it sounds from this thread like the arcade is the better one? Can you save in that one? Is Bikkuriman World (the TG-16 version) better than either?

(Reading through the comments in the Arcade review, those readers seem to strongly prefer that version also. Evidently there's also a 360 collection (I think it might be on PS3 also) but I think I already have WB in MW and MWIV on VC so I'd probably stick with what I have there. It's very hard to keep all these games straight if you're unfamiliar with them. I guess I'd like to know if the Collection includes any special features or save states.)

MAN, this is looking amazing! I really, really love Dragon's Curse (never played The Dragon's Trap), so I'm quite excited to play this remake.

Top Bottom