• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap gameplay footage (10 minutes/BitSummit prototype)

ggx2ac

Thanks to you both for the info!

Regarding Monster Land, I never played SG/SMS games back in the day (my first console at home was N64) so I've never been able to discern which WB in ML to play. I usually go with just whatever the Nintendo Life review says since there aren't many great VC review resources, but I know they can be a polarizing source. I always prefer info from GAF, though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/wonder_boy_in_monster_land_mastersystem
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/vc/wonder_boy_in_monster_land_vcarcade

They gave the game similar reviews (two different reviewers) but no clear win to the arcade version. But it sounds from this thread like the arcade is the better one? Can you save in that one? Is Bikkuriman World (the TG-16 version) better than either?

(Reading through the comments in the Arcade review, those readers seem to strongly prefer that version also. Evidently there's also a 360 collection (I think it might be on PS3 also) but I think I already have WB in MW and MWIV on VC so I'd probably stick with what I have there. It's very hard to keep all these games straight if you're unfamiliar with them. I guess I'd like to know if the Collection includes any special features or save states.)

In my opinion regarding Wonderboy in Monster Land, the Arcade version is much better than the Sega Master System version. I finished the arcade version on Wii VC a couple of months ago.

The graphics and sound/music in the arcade version is much better. Enemy sprites are larger for bosses compared to SMS version, some of the SMS enemies are gimped/easier to beat.

If you need help in the arcade version there's a glitch to get 67 gold from any gold coin spots that appear. (Don't worry, the gold alone is not going to help you beat the game.)

To understand the game, you have to just get good at beating the game with only 1 credit and it's possible. You just have to optimise the things you have to do in the game to beat it. You'll know what I mean when you play it.

I tried playing the SMS version some time after and I did horrible because it's not an accurate port. My muscle memory wouldn't work when I was trying to do platforming, I would end up dying because they screwed up the positioning of platforms so the game isn't 1:1 in accuracy with the arcade version.

Your choice but that's my opinion, the arcade version is apparently harder but it was worth it for me because the SMS port feels poor in comparison.

------------------

I saw people ranking wonderboy games earlier. For me:

Wonder Boy in Monster Land > Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap > Monster World IV >> Wonder Boy in Monster World

Yes, WB in Monster World became the worst for me when I had to deal with that final boss. That's all it took.

Also: Wonder Boy in Monster Land had the best rendition of the Dragon's Castle Theme:
https://youtu.be/PBQPWoOGxCQ

(I had to bring that up because there is practically a Dragon's Castle Theme in every Monster World game including IV)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

ChryZ

It looks like a playable version of awesome japanese box art from the 80s and 90s!

xUWkrXG.png

3Zo0F7w.png

Really looking forwards to see more Dragon's Trap.

Man, this has taken a big step forward aesthetically. No longer looks like a flash game - looks closer to something like Wario : The Shake Dimension. Fantastic.

Thank you for all the warm, adoring and positive comments everyone! Great to see such excitement for this game. :)

Also Wonderboy in Monster World is god tier and one of my favourite games of all-time so I'm kind of shocked to see it being ranked so low. It's awesome IMO.

This looks great, though TBH, I'm a bit disappointed that it seems to be more of a graphically enhanced port than a full remake. More excited for Monster Boy for that reason.

c0de

This brings back so many memories. One of the best games on the Master System, if not the best.

(Reading through the comments in the Arcade review, those readers seem to strongly prefer that version also. Evidently there's also a 360 collection (I think it might be on PS3 also) but I think I already have WB in MW and MWIV on VC so I'd probably stick with what I have there. It's very hard to keep all these games straight if you're unfamiliar with them. I guess I'd like to know if the Collection includes any special features or save states.)
The 360 collection has achievements and leaderboards, but you're okay sticking with the Wii version.

Bikkuriman World is a near-perfect arcade port with some different graphics (main character, bosses and shop owners), most for the worse (except changing the cow nurse to a fairy nurse). It also doesn't have the "coin glitch" that really makes the arcade version such an awesome "score attack" game.

Also Wonderboy in Monster World is god tier and one of my favourite games of all-time so I'm kind of shocked to see it being ranked so low. It's awesome IMO.
It's a good game, but it's fairly slow/boring/safe comparative to the other games. I and IV have an polished arcade/action quality to them, II has the (sort of) non-linear structure and transformations, whereas III doesn't have much of a "hook," it's just a straightforward adventure game. and It's also the only one created without involvement of the series creator, Ryuichi Nishizawa.

petran79

Banned
I put it in my Top Five (or Ten) Games of All Time.

The arcade version, the Master System version is pretty bad.

Dont forget the original Wonderboy. On par with Mario as one of the best platformers.

Amiga version of Monster Land was decent as well. Even though it was based on the AtariST port, it certainly was better than the SMS version

Oh wow. This is great.

Still seems very faithful to the original but with a gorgeous coat of paint.

I love that even the enemies die like they did in the original. In my imagination the blobs of pixels looked just like this back in the day!

Whomever Bock/Omar has hired to produce the art is very talented. It's just glowing with colour, charm and finesse. It makes the game really unique and beautiful. It's striking really. It's the perfect graphical upgrade for the game. There's really no other game out there that has art like this. It's beautiful.

liquidtmd

Banned
This means more to me than Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 2 remakes do to their respective fan bases

Please be good!!

Hopefully this does well enough that it spawns more games down the road. I'd love to see a Monster Land remake with this art style. Or even Monster World. That'd be divine. :)

Wow, I have never even heard of this series before, but both the remake in the OP and the subsequently posted spiritual sequel look great. I will probably pick both up.

I love this series and can't wait for both of these games.

You and me both man. :) It's an exciting time to be a Wonderboy fan with two awesome-looking games on the horizon. This and Monster Boy both look so fantastic. Completely different experiences but two amazing-looking games. Like you I'm excited for both!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Man, this has taken a big step forward aesthetically. No longer looks like a flash game - looks closer to something like Wario : The Shake Dimension. Fantastic.

Different project. You're thinking of Monster Boy.

ggx2ac

Wow, I have never even heard of this series before, but both the remake in the OP and the subsequently posted spiritual sequel look great. I will probably pick both up.

I'm assuming you have either a PS3, 360 or a Wii? If so, all 3 have both Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV available for super cheap. Go play either! Or both! They're great.

There's Wonder Boy in Monster Land, too, which is the game Dragon's Trap is a sequel to, but the others are prettier and better, really.

ggx2ac

There's Wonder Boy in Monster Land, too, which is the game Dragon's Trap is a sequel to, but the others are prettier and better, really.

However, playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap without playing the Arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land is like playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night without playing Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

I got nothing.

Seriously though, the genre shifts are eerily similar that they go from linear to non-linear style which Dragon's Trap preceded the Metroidvania.

Even in Dragon's Trap your character is at full strength before he gets nerfed at the beginning of the game, just like Alucard in SotN.

Edit: Oh Yeah, Rondo of Blood > Symphony of the Night

I love how they avoid the sterile, lifeless look of modern high-res 2D by using a cel animation-like wobble for still poses. Kinda looking forward to playing through this new take on the game decades past the earlier releases.

However, playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap without playing the Arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land is like playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night without playing Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

I got nothing.

Seriously though, the genre shifts are eerily similar that they go from linear to non-linear style which Dragon's Trap preceded the Metroidvania.

Even in Dragon's Trap your character is at full strength before he gets nerfed at the beginning of the game, just like Alucard in SotN.

Right, but given that tons of people played SOTN first without losing anything for not playing Rondo back in the day, I feel confident OP could play Dragon's Trap just fine without Monster Land :p

Though really, all the games in the series are good and worth checking out.

SuomiDude

What's with that annoying screen tearing (or whatever it's called). Can be seen almost all the time the screen is moving and it's very distracting. Other than that it looks good.

ggx2ac

What's with that annoying screen tearing (or whatever it's called). Can be seen almost all the time the screen is moving and it's very distracting. Other than that it looks good.

I think it's stuttering or micro stuttering. The game is obviously still in development so I'm sure that will be fixed later on.

SuomiDude

I think it's stuttering or micro stuttering. The game is obviously still in development so I'm sure that will be fixed later on.
Hopefully, looks like a fun game really. Never played the other games in the series, athough seen quite a few of them been played.

I can't wait to play this, the art looks amazing.
The only thing I would change is the return of the black backgrounds of the bosses.
They seem less vicious with the colourful backgrounds now.

LordRaptor

I got nothing.

I've always thought Dragons Trap doesn't get anywhere near enough credit for the Metroidvania genre too

To me, Dragon's Trap is the best 8 bit game ever. And this remake, so faithful and respectful, and so well done, is a dream for my 13-years-old-me.

Just if there were a version for the Vita... it just seems PERFECT for the Vita...

Maybe I'm the only one (I'm even surprised seeing the replys), but to me the Master System version of Monster Land is distinct (different pace, different rythm) and better than the arcade. You just can't play one and expect the other to play the same, but it hoes the two ways. The arcade version is just more... 'arcade'.

And the first game, WonderBoy, is an amazing and underrated game. Here, the Master System is faithful to the original, and maybe the best version availablevat home.

I messaged Bock/Omar about this thread so hopefully he can join us in here soon and provide some feedback. His game looks beyond fantastic. So excited for this and Monster Boy.

Top Bottom